I would rather steal games than buy them.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Warm Woolly Shee, Dec 11, 2006.

Dec 11, 2006
  1. Warm Woolly Shee
    OP

Member Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    This thread exists to clean up other threads.

For example:

[​IMG] : "I am having trouble playing XXXX on backup device XXXXX."

[​IMG] :"DUDE, JUST BUY THE GAME STOP BEING A LEACH! SUPPORT THE INDUSTRY!"

The guy never gets help and the topic is destroyed by morality police and pirates arguing back and forth. How sad.

UNTIL THIS THREAD CAME ALONG

Next time you see THE argument pop up, just link this thread, and then get back on-topic. Here's how it works,

If you are a pirate and steal games, reply to this thread and await your punishment.

If you are a member of the morality police, you may freely attack the pirates.

I'll kick things off:

I play games I don't pay for, even if I really like a certain game I still won't buy it.

Morality police, ATTACK

2. Yoshimashin

Member Yoshimashin Penguin Spy

United States
    Why the hell should I care if someone buys a goddamn game? I work in a damn game store, people buy games. Hell, I buy games. I dont give two flying fucks if JoeShmo133754UC3 buys the game or not.

People need to mind their own business.

3. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    I don't care if someone posts that they can't get so and so game working. It's when I read post after post after post saying "I can't get Tony Hawk Downhill Jam to work on any of my flashcards. The programmers need to get off their lazy butts and get to work so I can play this" That's when I think that the poster needs to get off their butts instead of whining and either program their own code to get it to work or wait patiently and shut up and enjoy the fact that they have gotten countless games for free or they could just go out and buy a game for once.

4. GameJesus

Member GameJesus GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Welcome to America

5. Azimuth

Member Azimuth Chicken Teriyaki Boy!

Canada
    ya that pisses me off 2, like when ppl are complaining of how bad the quality of pirated movies is, ur getting it for free so stop whining

6. Yoshimashin

Member Yoshimashin Penguin Spy

United States
    Speaking of which...

When the fuck is the wide screen version of SoaP going to be ripped! Full screen VHS rip?! What the fuck?! I cant take this shit.

7. TPi

Former Staff TPi One Tired Raccoon

Canada
    Holy shit warm woolly sheep didnt you get like permabanned from BYOB?

BYOBOUNCED

Also, yeah it gets kind of annoying, but even if you link them to a topic they'll still bug each other about it anyways. It's like with rom requests. It's in clear print in the rules that they are REQUIRED to read, and yet they still request links to roms. It's inevitable. :/

8. Dirtie

Former Staff Dirtie :'D

New Zealand
    People say "buy the game" because there is nothing else to say. If a rom doesn't work on such-and-such a device there's nothing any of us can do about it. "Buy the game" is the most constructive comment, because that would indeed let said whiner play it.

Piracy is a fucking privilege.

9. Warm Woolly Shee
    OP

United States
    Yes and I sometimes check the archives to read my old threads and still laugh!

10. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    nah nah. there are some games people should buy if they want to play, games like another code that need the support, speak with your wallet you cheap skates.

11. Warm Woolly Shee
    OP

United States
    That's not true in every case. Sometimes people do it just to be jerks or to de-rail a thread. Here is an example:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=404...ndpost&p=519766

12. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    bah, I'm more than happy to support the developers I like.

13. Warm Woolly Shee
    OP

United States
    People who make games are already rich, they are like britney spears or paris hilton, they drive expensive cars and have big parties all the time. I don't care if they don't get an extra $50 that wouldn't even pay for their yacht's wax job that they make poor third world girls in bikinis apply with their butts.

14. Qpido

Member Qpido Call me Q.

Netherlands
    Warm Woolly Sheep, what you say isn't exactly the truth. The retail stores give it a higher price then what (for example) Nintendo sells it to them for.
    So you're robbing more people at once.
    Anyhooo I play pirated games, I think it's better that I do. Because if I couldn't do use that on my DS, I wouldn't have bought a DS or any of the games for that matter. So now I buy a DS and tell my friends which games are worth buying.
    So I kinda help out...
    And NO I don't feel guilty about pirating.

+ I download movies.

Q~

15. Hero-Link

Member Hero-Link Hero of Derrr

Portugal
    right, thats why studios close down. They already have enough money to sustain the rest of their lifes.
    There are great developers that arent rich, as you might think. Look at Clover Studios, awesome games... but do they get enough money to make up for the games they make? I dont think so.... almost 70% of everyone that played their games used backups. No wonder we wont see more beautiful games from them...

But of course there are exceptions... EA...

16. Warm Woolly Shee
    OP

United States
    clover studios shuts down...

what have I done?

WHAT HAVE I DONE!

actually I bought viewtiful joe on gamecube, and while I enjoyed it, I think deep down in the bottom of my heart I still wish I'd stolen it.

17. Lukeage

Member Lukeage GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Can we not refer to copyright infringement as stealing... They are fundamentally two different things (and even recognised by US law as being different: Dowling v. United States, I'm sure most other countries have very clear laws on this too).

That being said, I still buy the games that I think are worth it. Downloading roms and playing them is more like a demo to me a lot of the time. Is it still morally wrong, I suppose so, but I'm not feeling guilty over it.

There is definitely one thing I have noticed as I've gotten older though, the more I earn, the more likely I am to buy games. Back in school when I had little to no income, I'd be lucky to be able to afford more than a few games a year (a big player in why I was a PC gamer until a few year ago, no extra cost in being able to pirate). Now, even though I'm still not working full time (uni student) I could buy a game every week if there were that many great titles to buy (and if I had the time to play that many games).

So I'll end on this, while annoying, I hope those that are whining are genuinely poor (although you can still manage afford a DS and flashcart....) and those who do have decent incomes are actually supporting the developers. Piracy isn't going to go away, and me saying anything like don't pirate (especially on a site like GBATemp) is a futile effort.

NOTE TO DEVELOPERS: Demos are still wonderful samplers of the games. Trailers/screenshots/game previews sucks balls in comparison and in almost no way decide if I want to play the game or not. Also, Demos should be out BEFORE the game is released, not three months after like more and more of you are deciding. Hopefully the Wii will offer a lot of demo titles downloadable to the DS in the future (hint, hint).

18. enoughrope

Member enoughrope GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    You swear way too much.

19. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    I think most people pirate games 'cuz they think they look cool in an eye patch.

Truth be told...

..eye patches are soooo last year!!!

edit: ..and the hook makes a lousy stylus...

20. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Well, I shall answer in the good old Sony fashion:

1: if your style is getting old, you shouldn't change it, you should just start overdoing it; volume solves everything.
    2: A stylus is just a toy. A gimmick. Once the novelty factor wears itself out, people will turn back to good old-fashioned hooks.

[​IMG]