I would like to update my BIOS but not screw up things. Can anyone Help?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by GamerzHell9137, Dec 19, 2013.

1. GamerzHell9137
    OP

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    So i would like to update my BIOS but i never did it so idk what to do.
    I know that if you screw it up you can say bye bye to your Motherboard, and everybody knows that i don't want that....

So i used Speccy and find out that this is my mobo

[​IMG]

Googled it and found the drivers http://www.msi.com/product/mb/H61M-P20--G3-.html#/?div=BIOS

Now, if u scroll down you can see the Live Update 5 tool, which it seems updates automatically.

[​IMG]

Is it any good? Should i use it or do it manual?
    If so then can someone explain me how?

And is it possible to undo things if you screw up?

2. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    It is always best to update BIOS inside BIOS.

For that particular motherboard, if you screwed up on flashing BIOS you are permanently screwed. It doesn't have dual BIOS nor removable BIOS chip. Those features are commonly seen on premium motherboard and yours is not. The only exception is ASRock branded motherboard, they all use removable BIOS chip.

If you don't feel confident on flashing BIOS then don't do it.

3. GamerzHell9137
    OP

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina

I see... and I'm on 1.6 Firmware.
    So i download the 1.9 FIrmware and install it right? I don't need to install 1.7 and 1.8 before?

4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    You don't need to install 1.7/1.8.

The best way to update BIOS is via the BIOS itself, as trumpet mentioned. IIRC, a lot of newer MSI boards have an option in the BIOS called "M-Flash" (or something similar) located in the Utilities menu. The BIOS you downloaded should have been in a .zip, you should extract that to a USB drive, plug it in to your PC, reboot into the BIOS, then use M-Flash to install them.

5. jonthedit

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    Some ASUS Boards due require you taking steps instead of leaps. Although with the OP's board this is not the case.

6. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    The question is, why do you need to update your BIOS?
    If it's just because there is an update, then most techies would say don't bother updating it. The risks outweigh the gains.
    If it's because you actually need the updated Realtek drivers and enhanced PCI-E performance, then proceed with caution.

And whilst it's always best to update BIOS in BIOS (no interfering IO processes that could corrupt the operation), it does work in Windows too (using that update manager you displayed). I've done it myself a few times (mainly because I have a tool ready in case of a bad flash).

Essometer likes this.
  7. jonthedit

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    At least with modern motherboards, it is extremely unlikely something will go wrong. Some companies (ASRock) are even willing to do it for you and will replace your board if they break it.
    The gains in this case are definitely worth it. His LAN/WLAN drivers that are built in received an update (something that is extremely rare from Realtek) and that shows there was a major issue with the previous driver. Realtek doesn't just push out an update because they can. :P

PCI-E performance imo is worth it if you have a fast piece of hardware (GPU, etc) utilizing the slot.

As the others have said, flash inside the BIOS.

8. GamerzHell9137
    OP

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina

Will do then.
    Like Tom said, my Mobo has M-Flash so i'll format a USB(I hope cluster size doesn't matter) and put the files on USB.

[​IMG]

I guess that's all i need to do?

9. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Unlike what jonthedit have said, BIOS update typically don't make big changes. I highly doubt it'll boost PCIe performance to a noticeable point. I don't know what firmware it'll push for that Realtek LAN but ain't something big.

Typically BIOS update is worth it when it updates CPU microcode, Windows 8 support, or some major bugfix.

Anyway, put those files in USB drive and boot into BIOS.