Homebrew I would like to remove all traces of homebrew on my 3DS

D

Deleted User

Does restoring a full NAND backup work, that doesn't have arm9loaderhax/boot9strap installed?
I'm afraid not since each console is tied to a seed that is unique to each console.Restoring a nand backup restores that same unique seed.What the ban basically does is block that seed from connecting to there server when it comes to the friends list or online play,making it a console ban.

Last edited by ,

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's why I think the ban was unstable.Some people got hit(including me) and some people didnt.Lets not forget that there where a few reports about ofw users being banned as well even though the ban was ment for a majority of people with cfw,which is what the ban has done.It seems like eather Nintendo or white hats where testing the water.
I luckily haven't been banned, but reguardless I know if I even am banned i'm completely safe (I just won't be able to connect to online games for awhile until I get a new friend code. Which should be easy once the banwaves end.)

I honestly don't understand the point of why they are banning either on the 3DS, besides them testing the water its not going to do much signifigance for them becuase people can still connect to stuff like the Freeshop and unban themselves.

The Switch might get the same treatment in the future though which is something i'm not looking forward to.

thund3rstruck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Resell value.Lets say you have a old 3ds that you want to sell at a decent price with b9s but its banned.Do you think it would go for anymore than what it's worth?

I guess that makes sense. All of this hysteria is because people are afraid they can't resell their consoles? The console only costs $200 brand new. I'd rather toss mine in the dumpster out back than deal with trying to sell it but then that's a first world problem I suppose.

SanKuKai

Newcomer
Trophies
1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500
XP
Country
United States
I guess that makes sense. All of this hysteria is because people are afraid they can't resell their consoles? The console only costs $200 brand new. I'd rather toss mine in the dumpster out back than deal with trying to sell it but then that's a first world problem I suppose.
There are places were a 3ds and a semi working dial up/dsl/adsl line are an advanced expensive game machine and their user somebody with exceptional luck.
The console is cheap. The money maker is the games / the online assets (pokebank/friends multiplayer). Removing HBW is not worth it unless you are ONLY playing online.
And even so, should you care so much about little games?
To each their own measure I suppose.

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to remove all traces of homebrew on my 3DS. Yes, this is a precaution against getting banned. Before the inevitable "There's no point now, Nintendo has logs going back months!" argument, hear me out on my situation. I lent my 3DS to a friend in early 2016. I told him not to install any homebrew, but when I got my 3DS back a few weeks ago, I found out that he had anyway. I was a little annoyed by this, but decided I would find out how to remove it at some point.

Well, now is that time. The 3DS hasn't been connected to the Internet for at least 3 weeks, so there is a chance that if I remove everything it will never get flagged.

I have no knowledge of the 3DS scene (except what I have picked up in the past few hours), but I have some knowledge from the Wii scene. I also have a master's degree in computer engineering, so if you can give me instructions in generic terms I can work with you.

What I want is for all non-volatile memory on my 3DS to be in a state that would look like a clean Nintendo-compiled or Nintendo-delivered version that would be valid for my New 3DS XL. I am aware that these types of binary images are now encrypted machine-specific. I'm assuming that this is why a file called "OTP.bin" is featured in some homebrew guides. For those of you who haven't studied cryptography, OTP stands for "One Time Pad", which is a collection of random bytes (or a seed for a PSRNG to generate a collection of random bytes) used by a stream cipher (or sometimes just XOR) to create a binary with uncrackable encryption unless the OTP can be recovered. This would be analogous to keys.bin in the Wii scene, which was used to encrypt the NAND.

Speaking of the Wii scene, just a few years ago a tool was released that enabled the creation of machine-specific NAND images "from scratch": as long as you had keys.bin and the unencrypted binary components of the NAND image, you could use this tool to compile a fresh NAND image that booted on your Wii. Is there any similar tool or method for the 3DS?

If not, what should I do to completely erase all traces of homebrew from my 3DS?

If it helps, it looks like I have A9LH, Luma, and System Version 11.2.0-35U

My friend is not very careful, so I doubt he has a backup of my OTP or my clean NAND, although I will ask him. Back in university I was a Linux sysadmin for the department, so remote backups of anything important would have been my first priority if I had done this myself. I also would have turned off SpotPass immediately (which he did not). Can you tell that I'm a little bit pissed off about this whole situation? :) I bought a pristine New 3DS XL and never wanted to installed homebrew on it.

The reason I mention that is I see some guides on how to recover the OTP, so if there is such a tool I could follow one of those guides and recover my OTP.

Here are some additional questions:
Is there only one physical non-volatile memory on the 3DS?
Do boot-time exploits of the arm9 and arm11 modify firmware that resides on those chips themselves?

If you want to remove all traces of hacks, you can do this:

1. Use GodMode9 to inject FBI into the Health & Safety app.
  2. Boot your 3DS and remove all installed Homebrew titles and illegitimate games. Be thorough as you won't get a second chance.
  3. Boot the Health & Safety app to launch FBI (the only remaining piece of homebrew left after the cleansing).
  4. In FBI go to Tickets and press A on the first one. Choose Delete Unused Tickets to remove all homebrew and illegitimate game tickets from your ticket.db file.
  5. Reboot into GodMode9 and restore Health and Safety to normal.
  6. While still in GodMode9, go to [1:] and delete arm9loaderhax.bin if its there and then go into 1:/rw/ and delete the luma folder if there.
  7. Your 3DS is now clean and the last step is to uninstall A9LH. You can do that by running SafeA9LHInstaller and choosing the Uninstall option.
  8. Your 3DS will now boot up as a stock, clean 3DS and you can remove all files from the SD card except the Nintendo3DS folder.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.