Homebrew I would like to know on how to use the Super Nintendo game saves on Gamefaqs site

Jordan Greenberg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was on the GameFaqs website, and I downloaded the save game of Donkey Kong Country 2 game save file, except that it was in a .bin format, which I have no idea on how to open. And I also have the Snes 9x emulator on my Wii, which has the homebrew channel installed on it. Now it seems to me that the Snes 9x emulator on the Wii doesn't show up the .bin file for some reason. It only shows up the roms, which are the .smc files. All day yesterday I was trying to load the bin files onto my wii, so I could get the saves to load in the emulator, but I just had no luck. And I am upset with this! The .bin file just won't show up in the Snes 9x emulator on my Wii. I also tried using the Backup Manager Gx as well, but I wasn't so sure on how to use that either. So what I am doing wrong here? Please let me know on how to get this working, that's all I can say. Because I am very disappointed and upset. I just to play Donkey Kong Country 2 with the saved game, that is all I want here. So please kindly advise me on how to do this correctly, step-by-step the easy way, so I get a better understanding on how to do this. I tried to do this all day long, but I had no luck with it. The Snes 9x emulator wouldn't show the .bin file. So please get back to me as soon as possible, and just explain to me on how to do this for me. Because then I would be much happier, and I would be playing my Donkey Kong Country game saves once I get this resolved. So please get back to me soon. So thank you very much!

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
First of all, try to avoid walls of text, it just discourages almost everyone to actually answer questions.

Now, try to rename the Bin file as "Nameoftherom Auto.Srm" And put it in the save folder of Snesx9gx ( Root->Snes9xgx>Saves)

For example, if you have Donkey Kong Country 2.smc , the save file should be changed to Donkey Kong Country 2 Auto.srm . That way the emulator should recognize the save file as default and load it.

Jordan Greenberg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, try to avoid walls of text, it just discourages almost everyone to actually answer questions.

Now, try to rename the Bin file as "Nameoftherom Auto.Srm" And put it in the save folder of Snesx9gx ( Root->Snes9xgx>Saves)

For example, if you have Donkey Kong Country 2.smc , the save file should be changed to Donkey Kong Country 2 Auto.srm . That way the emulator should recognize the save file as default and load it.[

So I change the bin file to the same name as the smc rom file? I should change the name of the rom to the rom. Should the bin file be in the same folder as the srm? Please let me know more closely on how to do it. And I would also like to know on how to load a save state zst file, because I am not sure on how to do that. Any help would be appreciated ASAP. So thank you very much!

Jordan Greenberg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, this is not working at all for me. When I load up Donkey Kong Country, it doesn't show the game save when I start up the game!! This is very frustrating and making me mad! Can somebody please respond and get back to me please like as soon as possible? Because I tried to do what that person told me to do, but it did not work at all for me I changed the Donkey Kong Country 2 bin file to the srm file extension like so, and I copied and pasted it to the same name as the rom. But I did not recognize the last step, I totally don't understand the last step. It said the save file should be changed to Donkey Kong Country 2 Auto.srm. So I would have to change the smc rom to srm? Now that part totally did not work for me at all! The Snes 9xGx emulator on the Wii does not show Srm files. I am very upset here and frustrated and angry. Can someone please get back to me like very shortly. I would like a response from anyone soon. Because someone has to give me a much better understanding on how to do this for me! Please, I am begging you. So please get back to me ASAP! So thank you very much!

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
You had to rename the BIN file into a SRM one...

But if you're having so much trouble with this just use the saves from here...
http://www.zophar.net/savestates/snes/donkey-kong-country-2.html

Just name both files the same:
Donkey Kong Country 2.smc -> The Rom.
Donkey Kong Country 2.srm -> The save file. But because of the way Snesx9gx works, you need to add " Auto" to the end of the save file.

It will become Donkey Kong Country 2 Auto.srm

Then put it in Snesx9gx saves folder ant that's all. I did it, two times in fact just to be sure, and it works. If after this you're having problems, is something that you're doing wrong, just check everything again.
---
By the way, please, let me give you a tip.
NEVER whiningly demand something, because the only thing you're going to achieve is being ignored, if not hated.
I you don't believe me, well, just look at this. Nobody answers but me.

But of course, do as you please.

Jordan Greenberg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:angry: :cry: I am sorry to tell you this, but it does NOT work for me. I tried renaming it and adding Auto to the end of the srm file from Zophar's, but absolutely nothing worked! How could it work for you, and not for me? Can you give me some proof, like a video of you doing it, if possible? Because it is never going to work, and I do not know why it works for you. When I start up Donkey Kong Country 2, the game save is not there at all. It just shows empty lines in the game at the beginning.

Now I have to tell you that this game save worked just fine in m Zsnes emulator on my computer! And it showed the 101% ending right when I started the game. I was happy about that. But on the Snes 9x GX, the save do NOT show up at all, no matter what I do. Can you give me a video if you have one of you trying this out? I would just like to know about that. I am sorry to keep pestering you, but I just do not know on how to make the game saves show up! I am so extremely sorry about that. And I do not know on what the .bin file is either at alll. I am stumped on that one, as well. I have seen that the Wii game saves on many sites use like codes. So for example, GHJE would be Donkey Kong Country 2. This is just an example. And the letter "E" would be the region for the United States.

These four letters is like the "ID" code for the game. Would I need to do it like that maybe? I was just wondering if there is a way to download a Super Nintendo rom, and put it into the Wii system memory. Is there a way to do that? And then I can load the Donkey Kong Country 2 Auto.srm file right into the emulator. And also, I was telling my Dad on why it didn't work, and he said to me that you could have a newer Wii, possibly. Could you have a black newer Wii? Because I have a White Nintendo Wii. Maybe that is the problem. Or maybe the srm file is not working because of my Wii menu version is too old. I literally like give up on this. So what is really going on here? I am lost, stumped and upset. I don't know what to do! Just let me know.But I am sorry I am being a pest on this. But I was telling my Dad I was getting upset, and that's not like me. Sorry for that. Just get back to me soon, and let me know. So thank you very much!

rooskie54

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have seen that the Wii game saves on many sites use like codes. So for example, GHJE would be Donkey Kong Country 2. This is just an example. And the letter "E" would be the region for the United States.

These four letters is like the "ID" code for the game. Would I need to do it like that maybe? I was just wondering if there is a way to download a Super Nintendo rom, and put it into the Wii system memory. Is there a way to do that? And then I can load the Donkey Kong Country 2 Auto.srm file right into the emulator. And also, I was telling my Dad on why it didn't work, and he said to me that you could have a newer Wii, possibly. Could you have a black newer Wii? Because I have a White Nintendo Wii. Maybe that is the problem. Or maybe the srm file is not working because of my Wii menu version is too old. I literally like give up on this. So what is really going on here? I am lost, stumped and upset. I don't know what to do! Just let me know.But I am sorry I am being a pest on this. But I was telling my Dad I was getting upset, and that's not like me. Sorry for that. Just get back to me soon, and let me know. So thank you very much!

The ID is only for official Wii software (like a disc, or virtual console title). Since you're loading this from Snes9x, the ID has nothing to do with anything. Snes9x doesn't read from the wii system memory, and that wouldn't help you if it could.

Your Dad also seems to have no idea what he's talking about. Snes9x GX is homebrew and doesn't have anything to do with what system menu you're using or the age of your wii. I have no idea what you could be doing wrong. I did exactly this:

1. download the 101% save from the zophar.net link above
2. rename it to match my existing ROM and put it in my saves folder for snes9x:
DKC.png

3. popped in the sd card
4. profit:

Video is a little shaky, my apologies. That's on a launch day Wii. The only thing I can think of is that your save isn't in the right folder (Device:\snes9xgx\saves) or your ROM and save don't have the same file name: Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest (USA).srm | Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest (USA).smc OR DKC2.srm | DKC2.smc OR whatever.srm | whatever.smc OR ...

Antidote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico

Antidote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are several tools you can use to decrypt a data.bin, unfortunately my library currently doesn't provide windows builds of any of the utilities I've written using it (I'm a linux developer primarily)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :unsure: yes