I would like to know about watching DVDs on Wii U - Wii Mode

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by WiiCube_2013, Dec 14, 2013.

1. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I'm thinking about buying a Region 1 complete series set and since I live in UK (Region 2) the DVD Players that I have are locked to R2 only.

So what I'm thinking is, hacking the Wii Mode and then watch it through it. However, what app would it be best suited to watch DVDs?

As for hacking the Wii Mode I guess doing the Smash-Tack thingy is the way to go, I have here a 2G SD Card which isn't being used any more so that's gonna come in handy now.

Thank you.

2. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    The Wii U cannot read standard DVDs unfortunately. Your best best is to have an older Wii model on hand.

3. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Only old original Wii and read DVD.

Later Wii and Wii U cannot read DVD. This is a hardware limitation.

4. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Oh I didn't know that I just assumed it did like my Original Wii (black) does.

Thanks, so I'll use my Original Wii to watch it then.

5. crono141

crono141 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2012
    United States
    Its a drive firmware issue. Later firmwares had the seek commands for DVD video removed (or omitted, rather).

6. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
  7. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    look up your dvd player on google, for many you can make them region free by simply pressing some numbers on the remote control, or some other process etc, worth a shot.
    maybe don't buy the dvds, just download whatever it is in bluray and have a better quality version of it. but the wii won't have the power to play hd stuff smoothly i guess, so download a dvd rip :)
    if you want to support the people who made the dvd, then you can buy them too, and just leave them in the box. just an idea.

WarMachine77 likes this.