Hacking I wonder if it's possible to use FW 1.1.0 ...

ilovengage

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yesterday I tried this new wifi backup program which allows you to create save and rom backups of original games. Well, I dumped a rom of my DS-X card, which has firmware 1.1.2 on it. Then i put it onto the DS-X and started it on it - and it loaded like when you start the DS-X (you can also load programs and music and so on).

Now I had the idea - what if you put a NDS rom of a DS-X with firmware 1.1.0 on it and with games that make problems with FW 1.1.0 you first start this firmware and then start the game from it?

Or maybe the other way, because I know 1.1.2 works better with Pokémon than 1.1.0 does (so you use the 1.1.2 rom for playing pokemon and the 1.1.0 on the DS-X for everything else)

I just wondered if this would be possible or if it makes no difference (I can't try because I've only a 1.1.2)

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country
Interesting idea ilovengage. I did the same a few days ago with my FW 1.0.2 (which can't play Animal Crossing), so it would be the game to try to test your idea: you shouldn't be able to play it using the FW 1.0.2 dump if the DS-X is really using it.

I assume you get into the DS-X menu (apps, music, etc) right after selecting to load your dump, isn't it? Also, please confirm whether you can normally save when launching games from your dump.

Note that I think Rudolph's dumper is NOT properly dumping the DS-X. I get a different and more logical dump using WRG's.

PM me if you're interested on testing my FW 1.0.2 dump on your DS-X.

ilovengage

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Is the new dumper which allows dumping to a TFTP server by Rudloph?
I don't know for sure but my copy of Englisch Training works even on No$gba (that took some time dumping
wacko.gif
). I wonder if it's a problem with DS-X because there's only the ini file with configuration loaded and nothing else.

PS: you got a PM
smile.gif

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, I'm talking of this new dumper (August 5th) by Rudolph, but I used the slot-2 version, not the Wi-Fi one.

And yes, Rudolph's dumper seems to have no problems with commercial game cards (all test dumps I've made with both WRG's dumper and Rudolph's dumper match, and match the scene releases). But I've been told Rudolph's has problems dumping, in example, passcards (with/without autostart feature) while WRG's can dump them. I can't be sure which one, WRG's or Rudolph's DS-X dump is the good one (if any).

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country
Now I had the idea - what if you put a NDS rom of a DS-X with firmware 1.1.0 on it and with games that make problems with FW 1.1.0 you first start this firmware and then start the game from it?

Or maybe the other way, because I know 1.1.2 works better with Pokémon than 1.1.0 does (so you use the 1.1.2 rom for playing pokemon and the 1.1.0 on the DS-X for everything else)

I just wondered if this would be possible or if it makes no difference (I can't try because I've only a 1.1.2)

Interesting idea ilovengage. I did the same a few days ago with my FW 1.0.2 (which can't play Animal Crossing), so it would be the game to try to test your idea: you shouldn't be able to play it using the FW 1.0.2 dump if the DS-X is really using it.

I assume you get into the DS-X menu (apps, music, etc) right after selecting to load your dump, isn't it? Also, please confirm whether you can normally save when launching games from your dump.

Note that I think Rudolph's dumper is NOT properly dumping the DS-X. I get a different and more logical dump using WRG's.

QUOTE(Shuny @ Aug 14 2007, 03:38 AM)The problem is : Can you launch apps from your dumped DS-X nds ?

I can confirm ilovengage's idea WORKS.

I loaded his DS-X 1.1.2 dump on my DS-X running old FW 1.0.2 and:

- The new OS skin (FW 1.1.0+) appears instead of the 1.0.2 one
- OS version is reported as 1.1.2
- I CAN play Animal Crossing
- I CAN save on Animal Crossing
- I CAN play and save on Pokemon D using the 1.1.2 dump
- The Pokemon save LOADS and SAVES fine (as fine as usual on DS-X) when launching Pokemon from my 1.0.2 OS after playing under 1.1.2 dump
- The Pokemon save LOADS and SAVES fine when the game is launched from the 1.1.2 dump after playing under my 1.0.2 OS
- After a Pokemon erase (UP+SELECT+B), a save backup with data from playing under 1.1.2 dump is loaded fine when launching Pokemon form my 1.0.2 OS
- After all those pokemon test, Animal Crossing still plays and LOADS its save when launching from the 1.1.2 dump

I've finally managed to get a WORKING dump of my 1.0.2 DS-X. Only Rudolph's Wi-Fi dumper made it.

WRG's and Rudolph's Slot-2 cannot properly dump the DS-X, their dumps crash upon trying to load them (according to my tests, but I'm sure I'm doing right because I've succesfully dumped even MPH with WRG's, among other titles)

Please Rudolph, if you read this, look into this issue: what's different from the reading ROM point of view in your Wi-Fi dumper? Maybe it's just the lower speed of the whole dumping process?

ilovengage

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
May I ask you a question? Can you read? He clearly explained why it's useful. He still has firmware 1.0.2 on his DS-X and with this one you can't play e. g. Animal Crossing. However, if he first starts the rom of the DS-X with 1.1.2 THEN he can play Animal Crossing.

Well, at the moment it's not really that useful for people with a DS-X with firmware 1.1.2 because AFAIk the only problem with this fw is that it's slow and makes save backups of every nds started. BUT for people using older FWs or maybe in the future it may be VERY useful. A possible situation: Firmware 1.1.4 fixes all the problems 1.1.2 has, after some time a new firmware will be released which is for example slow or something like that but it supports software that didn't work with 1.1.4. What's the best you can do? You get a dump of the new firwmare and start it before using the games which don't work with 1.1.4.

Understood?
biggrin.gif

KirbyPink

Trophies
XP
Country
Well of course i can read. I just didn´t understand said statement of what he said.
Thus i tought that he meant that he loads first DS-X then the rom DS-X.
Don´t do stuff like that saying i can´t read, it´s harasment. And if you check the rules
*Do not "flame" others. Blatantly offensive posts directed at others will not be tolerated. While we do allow members to debate and voice their own opinions, their will be a limit to how far a heated debate can go before it is closed by staff.

Yes, mini mod. But whatever. I´ll let it slide.
Just cause i made a small mistake isn´t such a big deal and you don´t have to be so offensive against me.
End of that.

ilovengage

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm sorry, I was annoyed about it because minutes before reading that I was in another forum where some people seemed not to read what was posted so I was a bit angry.

QUOTE said:
Thus i tought that he meant that he loads first DS-X then the rom DS-X.

Yes, he first loads the DS-X rom before launching another app. It's this way:

His DS-X runs firmware 1.0.2, the image he got from me is firmware 1.1.2.
1.1.2 can run Animal Crossing, 1.0.2 can NOT.

So he launched the rom of the 1.1.2 dump on his DS-X (which is actually 1.0.2) and voila - he can launch Animal Crossing and save! And that should work either way (1.0.2 dump on 1.1.2) so if there will be a rom which doesn't run on a newer firmware (or on a older) and you don't want to change your firmware version you can use a DS-X dump of the firmware you need to launch this application.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Kinda like how i load the ez4 beta kernel (moonshell style) on my ez4 sometimes.

the loader update has a bin extension and runs fun unedited
happy.gif
(ez4 homebrew is bin or ds.gba extension)

qjopera

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
May I ask you a question? Can you read? He clearly explained why it's useful. He still has firmware 1.0.2 on his DS-X and with this one you can't play e. g. Animal Crossing. However, if he first starts the rom of the DS-X with 1.1.2 THEN he can play Animal Crossing.

Well, at the moment it's not really that useful for people with a DS-X with firmware 1.1.2 because AFAIk the only problem with this fw is that it's slow and makes save backups of every nds started. BUT for people using older FWs or maybe in the future it may be VERY useful. A possible situation: Firmware 1.1.4 fixes all the problems 1.1.2 has, after some time a new firmware will be released which is for example slow or something like that but it supports software that didn't work with 1.1.4. What's the best you can do? You get a dump of the new firwmare and start it before using the games which don't work with 1.1.4.

Understood?
biggrin.gif

can I do this with other flashcarts?? run g6DS rom on DS-X or vice versa??? they both have similar hardware

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
nope it definitely won't work. they aren't as similar as you think.

however i know that ez4 can load it's own loader this way aswell as supercard one.

and passmes can usually be loaded on slot one carts.

qjopera

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nope it definitely won't work. they aren't as similar as you think.

however i know that ez4 can load it's own loader this way aswell as supercard one.

and passmes can usually be loaded on slot one carts.

what about cyclo evolution firmware rom on the acekard R.P.G which has 1GB of NAND flash and microHCSD support??

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1