Gaming I wonder how many Virtual Console games will be carried over?

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seeing how the VC is the only form of backwards compatibility on the NS, I wonder what platforms will make the cut; NES, SNES, N64, DS, GBA, and Wii are all on the Wii U VC, but will all of them (including DS and Wii) make the transfer to the Switch? What about GB and GBC from the 3DS VC, will that be transferred too or exclusive to the 3DS. They stopped releasing GB and GBC games, with the exception of Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow. I could defiantly see more platforms coming to the Switch, like GameCube, Sega Saturn, and Dreamcast. Eventually we'll even get 3DS games as well, but not for several years. NES, SNES, and GBA games were already hinted. NES and SNES have almost been confirmed and GBA was hinted (Mother 3 coming in the Q2 of 2017 to the NS VC), not sure about N64, DS, and Wii games. As for the pricing, I think these should be the discounts; $0.50 for NES, $0.75 for SNES, $1 for N64, and $3.50-4 for GBA. I bet Wii games (if they do come; the NS does have motion controls, so why not) they'll be $10 if bought from the Wii U eShop. I'm sure if DS games come too, their discount price will be $5, since they normally cost $9.99 on the Wii U eShop. So everything will be 50% off, except NES, SNES, and N64; which will all be 75% off.

Last edited by 03bgood,
Reactions: CatmanFan

ClayClaymore

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Seeing how the VC is the only form of backwards compatibility on the NS, I wonder what platforms will make the cut; NES, SNES, N64, DS, GBA, and Wii are all on the Wii U VC, but will all of them (including DS and Wii) make the transfer to the Switch? What about GB and GBC from the 3DS VC, will that be transferred too or exclusive to the 3DS. They stopped releasing GB and GBC games, with the exception of Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow. I could defiantly see more platforms coming to the Switch, like GameCube, Sega Saturn, and Dreamcast. Eventually we'll even get 3DS games as well, but not for several years. NES, SNES, and GBA games were already hinted. NES and SNES have almost been confirmed and GBA was hinted (Mother 3 coming in the Q2 of 2017 to the NS VC), not sure about N64, DS, and Wii games. As for the pricing, I think these should be the discounts; $0.50 for NES, $0.75 for SNES, $1 for N64, and $3.50-4 for GBA. I bet Wii games (if they do come; the NS does have motion controls, so why not) they'll be $10 if bought from the Wii U eShop. I'm sure if DS games come too, their discount price will be $5, since they normally cost $9.99 on the Wii U eShop. So everything will be 50% off, except NES, SNES, and N64; which will all be 75% off.

I hope none of that happens and they drop Vortual Console. I'll give me less distractions from playing 1-2 Switch.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS and 3DS were available on Wii U due to two screens available. That is not possible on the switch due to only one screen being active at a time, unless Ninty comes out with ANOTHER addon device to allow a Wii U gamepad (or like device) to be linked to the Switch.

Some DS/3DS will be available I'm sure, but not all titles like the could release with the Wii U.

As for discounts - not gonna happen. VC can't just be moved over. It has to be coded for the new architecture of the Switch, which means work hours need to go into each title and has to be re-cooped in some way. If and when sales do occur, it won't be until holiday season or Nintendo sales events, which the latter won't happen until the console is at least a year old.

Reactions: osaka35

wuboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically what @Maximilious said. Whatever architecture the Wii U is running is vastly different from anything Nvidia does, not to mention the new OS which also would help complicate things, if Virtual Console does appear on Switch there's no chance of any discounts.
That said, if the Switch does have Virtual Console, I'd like to play Mario Kart DS again, I lost my cart and don't own a Wii U, and yeah there's no multiplayer but it was still one of my favorite Mario Karts.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I suppose every VC system that already was in 3DS/Wii U will be there.
Now give me GC VC for real and I am happy.
And now that I talk about GC, bring back eveything owned by Nintnendo, be it FE: PoR, Metroids, Sunshines, Mansions, Kaitoses, etc.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Like Nintendo would drop a service to sell overpriced roms to people that don't know what emulation is.
Yeah sure.
As for the pricing, I think these should be the discounts; $0.50 for NES, $0.75 for SNES, $1 for N64, and $3.50-4 for GBA. I bet Wii games (if they do come; the NS does have motion controls, so why not) they'll be $10 if bought from the Wii U eShop. I'm sure if DS games come too, their discount price will be $5, since they normally cost $9.99 on the Wii U eShop. So everything will be 50% off, except NES, SNES, and N64; which will all be 75% off.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH no.
Either you can trasfer them from Wii U to Switch, or you buy them all again. Full price.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
NES, SNES, N64, GBA, GB for sure. Maybe some oldies like Neo Geo and TurboGraphics.
Maybe Wii and GameCube, they are about the same power level so if one is supported the other should be. I think I heard rumblings about GameCube VC, and the right Joycons has an IR sensor.
I'm not so sure about DS or 3DS. The Switch has a capacitive screen while the 3DS, DS, and even Wii U use a stylus-friendly resistive screen.

alpha_noj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly hoping they have some type of account system already planned/set up so they can see what we've purchased and just download them--no more system transfer nonsense. We should be past that by now.

D

Deleted User

Honestly hoping they have some type of account system already planned/set up so they can see what we've purchased and just download them--no more system transfer nonsense. We should be past that by now.
Yeah, hopefully Nintendo got their online account shit together. I doubt it :/

Reactions: alpha_noj

alpha_noj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they expect people to pay for online services, this is the number one requirement from me. I get they want a more "family" and "all ages" oriented system--but that doesn't have to mean antiquated.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that maybe if you bought it for both Wii U and 3DS, it should carry over for sure. Preferably if you bought it on just one of them as well.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
step0001.jpg

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS games are defiantly possible; the screen could split from left (top) to right (bottom) or the system can be played sideways with the original top and bottom screens and using the JoyCons for controls. Just because they only have one screen, doesn't mean they can't emulate a splitscreen, the Wii U did that fine with DS Virtual Console games. It would be no different on the NS, other than the lack of a stylus.

Wii games are also possible, too. They already showed off motion controls, using the JoyCons, so Wii VC games are defiantly possible and even some games like Xenoblade Chronicles can already be played without motion controls. I'm pretty sure the Switch would rely on software emulation since the Wii U used hardware emulation, instead.

The only two platforms that probably won't make the jump to the Switch are; The 3DS, since they're still making games and will probably do so, for at least the next 2-3 years and then maybe they'll add 3DS VC games to the NS, and of course; Wii U games, because they're being ported over (i.e. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe).

I hope they revive the GB and GBC VC games. We're still missing some good ones like Final Fantasy Legend I, II, and III, Final Fantasy Adventure, Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge, Castlevania Legends, Bomberman Max: Red Challenger and Blue Champion, Pocket Bomberman, Dragon Quest Monsters 1&2, Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal, Pokemon Pinball, Wendy: Every Witch Way, Warlocked, Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel, Kwirk, Bomb Jack, Solomon's Club, Operation C, and Solar Striker.

Last edited by 03bgood,

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know if joycon motion controls is fully compatible. If the tech used is different the game might not be able to make sense of the sensory input. And Wii games do also heavily rely on the IR camera, which only tracked two lights from the sensor bar while th Joycon has edge detection or some other wizardy. I don't know if a Joycon can even be used for Wiimote-like tracking.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS games are defiantly possible; the screen could split from left (top) to right (bottom) or the system can be played sideways with the original top and bottom screens and using the JoyCons for controls. Just because they only have one screen, doesn't mean they can't emulate a splitscreen, the Wii U did that fine with DS Virtual Console games. It would be no different on the NS, other than the lack of a stylus.

You're thinking that everyone will always have the system out of the dock with this mentality. How can you utilize your TV screen with no touch screen for DS games? They can port some (Mario Kart 7), but they can't get traditional DS games on this system without always having the system out of the dock.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To tell the truth this is how i would do it.

Each game would range from $1 to $2 and there would be bundles for $4.99
A bundle would be 5-10 games. Something like all the Zelda or hand full of the mario games across the system gba, nes etc...
And i would port them all nes, gba, gb, etc...
IMO that would rake in the money. Its price to move and close to cellphone prices.

But we will see what nintendo does.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended