I was wondering if it would be even possible to write a program that would communicate directly with a wii u gamepad.

midnight-fight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was wondering if it would be even possible to write a program that would communicate directly with a wii u gamepad. I have been looking around and it seems the wii u gamepad connects to the console with a 5ghz signal? would it be possible to even connect to a via 5ghz? Endgame goal is to use the gamepad as a "semi-Portable" "steam deck" in my room. Is this a stupid question? Sorry, new to the modding scene.

edit: please let me know if this is posted in/under the wrong section.
Edit 2: I found something very close https://gbatemp.net/threads/moonlight-wii-u.585995/ sadly it needs an nvidia card :(

Last edited by midnight-fight,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty much a master at following directions and building off of them, but I'm still pretty unsure about things like coding and linux. if you have questions or an error occurs, it's hard to know how to look it up without something being for a more advanced user in coding/linux or something, so I have to rely on friends to explain certain things to me or outright give me the code or command, if on linux.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know Wii U specifics but assuming "5GHz" is the thing then "it depends".

Signal frequency is but one part of the puzzle of radio communications. Most antennae are tuned for a fairly small range, and most cards you plug into the PC are only going to play with specific signal types (far easier this way, see also why we have not got DS download play over normal network).
Sounds like there are existing chips that speak the right signal, though even if not you do have things like spectrum analysers (an expensive hobby, especially one that will do for this) and software defined radio. Software defined radio is a fairly fringe area of electronics, and might run into some kind of regulatory issues (though at the ranges you are likely concerned with then... legally I can't say won't get troubled but yeah). It would also be a lot of effort compared to putting a streaming option on a tablet and maybe wiring a bluetooth controller to that, said tablet would likely also be 1000x more capable than this.

If there are existing chips then you better hope they have documentation, else you get to reverse engineer those too (not usually the worst thing going and it will probably be USB which is not so bad either -- they will probably send audio and video and take controls back and there are limited ways of doing that). If there is documentation then someone will probably have made a basic example program for taking controls and spitting them out as presumably Windows compliant in some way (or at least some way you can feed into whatever the kids are using to allow all the various controller formats* for Windows to work on games not explicitly coded for that given controller type)

*Windows has an older DirectX take, a more modern one, think Valve has some of their own and there are a few others depending upon how you want to look at it, not to mention legacy stuff from long ago (gameports, gravis pads and such if you want a jumping off point) but that is probably a different discussion.

All of this is not necessarily on the basic side but still the sort of thing that we see in example projects for the likes of programmable chips -- see all manner of https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/projects.html and things for arduino where they fake being a keyboard and attach to switches of their choice).

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not directly, but you can use UsendMii on the Wii U to use your gamepad with your PC. Obviously it's not as ideal, you want to be able to use the gamepad with your PC without using the Wii U, but I don't see any way that you can do that, at least not easily.

Apparently it's very possible, using libdrc: https://libdrc.org

Going through the documentation, you should be able to connect the gamepad directly to your computer over 5GHz Wi-Fi. But so far they just have a few examples you can play with. Nothing so far (that I can find anyway) that is capable of streaming your PC screen and audio, and emulating an Xbox controller using the gamepad.

midnight-fight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm, from what I've seen UsendMii uses the web browser to transmit data? would there be a way to combine that with something like airplay? I know another method that lets you use the browser to "share" a screen from an iPhone...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr