astrangeone

OP
Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Most of the stuff Zimmerman eats is quite normal/Asian. Stinky (fermented) tofu, durian, weird flavours of ice cream, bugs, and lots more. Personally, I get hungry when watching his show; just a lot of good stuff. I was eating a breakfast of vegetarian (read: fake) fish swim bladders in curry sauce when it hit me, I've eaten very weird things in my short lifespan. (*snickers* Insert your own lesbian joke here)

And I've thought I'd List the Stuff that seems weird:

1) Quail eggs - soft, very yummy. Can be boiled/fried anyway you like them.
2) Grasshoppers - no, not the alcoholic drink. Grasshoppers are crunchy and then rather mealy on the inside. Weird, will probably try them again.
3) Stinky tofu - Okay, I admit I screamed like a Klingon in it's death ritual when I smelled this. The flavour is pretty much rotten to begin with --> had to fight my instinct to not swallow. Interestingly, my mother loves this stuff - last time she went to Hong Kong, she caught one whiff of the stuff from a passing vendor, and literally caught a cab to track down it's location.
4) Guts/Intestines - not bad. This is the stuff you see from chinese bbq places. Usually dyed an unnatural color of red; very crunchy and chewy. Slightly gamey, but very good.
5) Duck's liver sausage - pretty good, but very fatty. Tastes like foie gras, but in tube form. Really good.
6) Durian - smells terrible. Some people say it smells like cat piss/vomit/rotting garbage. I smelt rotting garbage. A spoonful of this was rich, custardy, with after effects of onion. Very weird, like someone left flan or custard out and accidentally infused it with the scent of onion. Never again, the smell lingers, although.
7) Vegan fish bladders - made from wheat gluten/dough. Very chewy and very good. Quite slimy so if you aren't into that texture, don't try it. Great on rice - incidentally, made for Buddhists who are going on their version of Lent.
8) Bison burgers - very lean, very flavourful. Don't overcook this or you'd end up with meat that tastes like shoe leather.
9) Soup dumplings - chinese thing. Made by putting gelatin rich stock into a dumpling along with meat and veg. Tastes wonderful, although scaldingly hot because of the soup. Can be fried or steamed. I prefer the fried version.
10) Hot and sour soup - made with a red vinegar, bamboo shoots, tree fungus and good stuff. Very rich, and very salty sometimes. Is mostly a texture thing. If they put peas in it, you are eating a bastardized version.

So, what's the weirdest thing you've eaten?

Shakraka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, probably jelly fish. I can't remember the name of it now, but it's a Korean side dish, and it also had sea cucumbers and vegetables in a horseradish sauce.

I would love to try out a lot of the foods in Bizarre Foods, though.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fried alligator tail.

It's a little bit greasy, (probably due to the cooking method) with an excellent taste.

One of my neighbors raises ostriches for food/eggs, but I have yet to try either.

G

GentleFist

skin of cow cooked in some strange extremely stinking liquid,
eye of cow,
testicles of unidentified animal,

yes, i was forced to.

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A tossed salad.
unsure.gif

smash_brew

I may or may not have fallen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I ate a lot of strange things when i was in japan a few years back but I think the fish jerky was by far the strangest. I tried tongue for the first time when i was there and it was good. I was pleasantly surprised.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Things I've had:

live baby octopus (it was still writhing around the chopsticks and the suckers got stuck to the roof of my mouth)
tiny live, transparent fish swimming in broth with tofu (they cook it in front of you, and when the broth gets really hot, the fish dig into the tofu to escape the heat)
fish taken out of a water tank, sliced into sashimi and served to me immediately while the mouth was still moving
fried alligator (very fatty, and good!)
barbecued rattlesnake (tastes like beef)
barbecued ostrich (nothing special)
raw horse meat (called basashi, love it)
raw beef with raw egg, rice and seaweed (one of my favorites, it's a Japanese dish called yukke)
fermented tofu (hate it, can't stand the smell of it)
fried scorpion (surprisingly good)
grilled intestines (called horumon, also one of my favorites at Japanese yakiniku restaurants)
squid ink ice cream (this was really black, and eating it makes the inside of your mouth look like a black hole)
eel ice cream (really does taste like unagi and vanilla)
wasabi ice cream (tastes like wasabi and vanilla)
garlic ice cream (tastes like garlic and vanilla)
wasabi Ramune soda
curry Ramune soda
cucumber Pepsi (only in Japan)
sweet bean drink (with actual bean chunks)
dinuguan (a Filipino dish in which you boil meat in blood, my mom makes it sometimes--delicious!)
balut (another Filipino delicacy, I call them "chicken abortions" but I love them)

I had most of this stuff when I lived in Japan. I'll pretty much eat any kind of meat as long as it's cooked, and I can handle a lot of uncooked meat. I'm Filipino, so I grew up eating "unusual" foods. Nothing fazes me, and I'll try anything at least once.

My dad loves durian, but the smell of it reminds me of vomit. I remember he used to embarrass me when I had friends over by shoving it in front of their faces and telling them to have some.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol