Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
George Dawes said:
astrangeone said:
Oooo...don't tell my gay & vegan friend that I want to try that; the next time I'm back in Hong Kong/China.
What does their sexuality have to do with anything?

Just the fact that he tends to call people out by acting like a total flaming fag, and then abbreviating what he wanted to bug you about onto it. He tends to fit into the stereotype that way as well.

astrangeone

OP
Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Densetsu3000 said:
Things I've had:

live baby octopus (it was still writhing around the chopsticks and the suckers got stuck to the roof of my mouth)
tiny live, transparent fish swimming in broth with tofu (they cook it in front of you, and when the broth gets really hot, the fish dig into the tofu to escape the heat)
fish taken out of a water tank, sliced into sashimi and served to me immediately while the mouth was still moving
fried alligator (very fatty, and good!)
barbecued rattlesnake (tastes like beef)
barbecued ostrich (nothing special)
raw horse meat (called basashi, love it)
raw beef with raw egg, rice and seaweed (one of my favorites, it's a Japanese dish called yukke)
fermented tofu (hate it, can't stand the smell of it)
fried scorpion (surprisingly good)
grilled intestines (called horumon, also one of my favorites at Japanese yakiniku restaurants)
squid ink ice cream (this was really black, and eating it makes the inside of your mouth look like a black hole)
eel ice cream (really does taste like unagi and vanilla)
wasabi ice cream (tastes like wasabi and vanilla)
garlic ice cream (tastes like garlic and vanilla)
wasabi Ramune soda
curry Ramune soda
cucumber Pepsi (only in Japan)
sweet bean drink (with actual bean chunks)
dinuguan (a Filipino dish in which you boil meat in blood, my mom makes it sometimes--delicious!)
balut (another Filipino delicacy, I call them "chicken abortions" but I love them)

I had most of this stuff when I lived in Japan. I'll pretty much eat any kind of meat as long as it's cooked, and I can handle a lot of uncooked meat. I'm Filipino, so I grew up eating "unusual" foods. Nothing fazes me, and I'll try anything at least once.

My dad loves durian, but the smell of it reminds me of vomit. I remember he used to embarrass me when I had friends over by shoving it in front of their faces and telling them to have some.

Man, it's not the smell of durian that gets me...it's the aftertaste of onions. Ugh. No fruit should taste like onions.

And eel ice cream? I love eel, and I can't imagine eating that. Fermented tofu gets me too! Balut is another thing I want to try, except my mother is terrified of it, and i can't eat it in front of the girlfriend.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Heh, a lot of the things the topic creator listed are normal for us Chinese people.
The weirdest thing I've ever eaten was Alligator.
ohmy.gif

It tasted absolutely horrible, which is weird because I thought people ate exotic foods because they taste better than normal food.

@Mthr: That reminds me of the book, "How to Eat Fried Worms"

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Roasted mealworms. They were quite good, and I've considered raising them for food. Kind of nutty tasting, like cashew mixed with peanut.
Good stuff, would probably go great with Chex-mix.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Could we maybe stick to the topic at hand and not diverge into sexuality please? Some people are actually enjoying this topic.

Also, the term "fag", even when used as a term of endearment, will generally not be construed as such by the majority, please limit your use of the term on our forums.

Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Many such cases.