I was r4-III scammed what now?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by aeviaanah, Aug 29, 2008.

Aug 29, 2008
  1. aeviaanah
    OP

Newcomer aeviaanah Newbie

United States
    i recently purchased an r4-III from royalDS.net. after doing some research ive found out the r4 team never created and r4-111 and i had been scammed. although the card i have works fine the only problem im having is certain roms will not play. i am still going to return the card because many say there is a risk of it ruining my ds...the question i have now is where do i go from here? should i purchase a cyclods, do they clone those too? im just wanting to play roms and possibly video and music. any suggestions on what i should do? should i try to find a legit copy of the r4 or look for another card? please help me make a decision.

2. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    I've never heard of a CycloDS clone, so I'd say it's safe to get one.

If you're looking to purchase something slightly cheaper than the CycloDS though, I'd probably recommend the Acekard 2.

3. WB3000

Member WB3000 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Do more research before you buy, don't buy something cheap if it's not a main brand.

4. aeviaanah
    OP

United States
    is there a risk using acekard? do you know any trusted websites so i do not buy another clone? or any trusted websites to buy any of the name brand cards? what do u recommend wb3000?

5. Law

United Kingdom
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11811

If you don't mind a wait.

Otherwise, try http://www.dealwoot.com/. Don't get another R4 from there, though.

6. Mohammad

Member Mohammad GBAtemp Regular

United States
    dealextreame.com nxpgame.com dealwoot.com and a ton... try reading the reviews here they link to stores that are well know and don't sell fakes

7. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    EGDE

8. Law

United Kingdom
    Ah, right. That had totally slipped my mind for some reason.

Still, it isn't a total clone. It doesn't steal the CycloDS' name in any way in order to trick people into thinking that they're buying a CycloDS. A retailer wouldn't advertise it as a CycloDS in order to make a sale.

9. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

... You totally failed at being one word funny, because you spelt it wrong. :facepalm:

Anyway, the Acekard 2 is probably a good card for you, or the iTouch (because of M3 Sakura). Since you wanted an R4 first, I assume you don't need the ingame features of the CycloDS.

10. aeviaanah
    OP

United States
    so edge is a clone of cyclods? is the r4-III really that unsafe? which do you guys use and why?

11. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

I'm not sure but i think the EDGE uses the base Cyclo firmware, but without the ingame features.
    R4 clones of any sort have been known to brick DS'/damage DS fuses.
    There are plenty of good ones, avoid N-Card, R4, DS-X. Good ones include Acekard 2 and RPG, CycloDS, Supercard DS One, M3 Real, iTouch, EDGE

12. cerenade

Member cerenade GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    try the acekard2, from deal extreme, mine came 10 days after i ordered

edit: i use the acekard2 and dstt, just because they are the ones i brought, i like the ak2 more, happy with both tho, i intend to get the cyclo evo soon enough

13. aeviaanah
    OP

United States
    which ones do you use? which has most compatability with roms? who is good at updating firmware etc? why would u choose one over the other?

14. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

I use the M3 Real personally. There is minimal difference between compatibility, they're all basically perfect. The only problem is some problem games which suffer lag or freezing with slow microSD cards. Not only are there few of these problem games but if you get a good micro SD, you're fine (recommended Kingston "Japan made" for 1 or 2 GB, and 4GB A-Data Class-6)

You decide on what you think a good update is, this forum section shows the updates of flashcards (amongst other things though): http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showforum=101

Well, the difference is basically the software features in each card. Some do soft-reset, some do ingame text guide, realtime save etc. The other hardware feature is SDHC support, which basically all cards barring the R4 support.

Here is a spreadsheet with some feature comparisons that a few people including me made: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pjb...zgYZN6k5lHtu5Hg

15. aeviaanah
    OP

United States
    thanks that spreadsheet has really helped. what exactly is wii connectivity? what websites do u trust? are there any websites to buy more than one brand of card?

16. aeviaanah
    OP

United States
    also how do you save if u cant use in game save option? alot of .nds files did not work with the r4-III. do you think this is a problem with the file or the card itself?

17. NeSchn

Member NeSchn GBAPimpdaddy.

United States
    The Edge is a clone but they balantly rip off the Cyclo DS name, they name it something different.

18. Raestloz

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    Just like what CycloDS is last year, CycloDS is basically a clone of SuperCard, note that CycloDS EVO is a REAL cart, but still, they own their business to SuperCard, without cloning it, they won't be able to create EVO.......

And on-topic: ask for a refund, that's it [​IMG]

19. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

The files should be fine.

A good place to get them is DealExtreme or try some of the affiliates of GBAtemp.