Hacking I was just wondering

Idaho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Since coding for the 3DS is now partially open for anyone who'd want to, why aint there an open and free romloader project yet?

Not that I'm a warez fan, that I don't have money to own a Gateway or anything, I ordered the Gateway as soon as it was available as at this time it was the only solution.

But now that the 3DS is more open I guess it'd be good to have a romloader that the community could improve instead of being dependant of Gateway and other groups, it could help the 3DS scene by attracting people to the 3DS, even more than we actually have.

It could be kinda positive for the device hacking's progress, it'd make us independant from groups and linker sellers and their potential odd facecies like bricking code or bad imitations that barely work properly, so it'd also provide quality to the 3DS warez community, not even talking of the finnancial aspect ;)

I'm not a develloper though and I was just wondering this in my mind lately as afaik it could be possible and many people claim such a thing to be "easy" to make.

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since coding for the 3DS is now partially open for anyone who'd want to, why aint there an open and free romloader project yet?

Not that I'm a warez fan, that I don't have money to own a Gateway or anything, I ordered the Gateway as soon as it was available as at this time it was the only solution.

But now that the 3DS is more open I guess it'd be good to have a romloader that the community could improve whereas being dependant of Gateway and other groups, it could help, it'd attract a lot of people to the 3DS, even more than we actually have.

It could be kinda positive for the device hacking's progress, it'd make us independant from groups and linker sellers and their potential odd facecies like bricking code or bad imitations that barely work properly, so it'd also provide quality to the 3DS warez community, not even talking of the finnancial aspect ;)

I'm not a develloper though and I was just wondering this in my mind lately as afaik it could be possible and many people claim such a thing to be "easy" to make.

I think the reason why there isn't one is because there is no open source CFW, redirected NAND, or other such code yet. All that is publicly available is to run code on bare metal. emulators can be made once Smea releases redNAND (sometime this year, hopefully), but as for ROM loading there is no solution yet. People that know how don't want to (as piracy is bad for a system and also illegal), and those that want to don't know how to.

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Maybe because the current homebrew developers are open about their identities, and want to maintain a positive and professional reputation for themselves and the homebrew community in general and that releasing a romloader would paint them as pirates?

Idaho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Maybe because the current homebrew developers are open about their identities, and want to maintain a positive and professional reputation for themselves and the homebrew community in general and that releasing a romloader would paint them as pirates?

Why would some people involved in hacking a device to turn it to their will should be interested in having a "good" reputation ? (As doing so already gives you a bad reputation from many people anyway) You do things, because you can and because you want, not because you'd be seen as. Anyway, I respect the fact that they possibly dont like piracy and so on dont promote it, but the argument line around the fact you'd have a bad reputation or anything is silly...

For some reasons, there seem to be a huge deal over piracy and console hacking these days, I dont see the matter but I respect the develloper's choice, I'd just say that if I had somehow skills to achieve such a thing I would not let external moral factors affect me.

Piracy used to be noble at some point, remember the crack teams with their sweet intros and possibilities of cool cheat and modding and the message saying "if you like the game buy it" ? The stuff could actually make people think about the consequences of their acts and decide weither to be moral or amoral.

Problem now is that piracy is getting affected by way too much dipshits around legal moral and economic matters, nowadays crack teams barely leave some stupid nfos with not even a few ASCII arts in it, piracy is now only about free gaems not even being aware of your acts, the spirit is fading but its not dead, just seems that most people are not being interested in it anymore...

Reactions: Gadorach

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
i dont think piracy has ever been a noble occupation, the truth is that some of the homebrew devs want to keep it clean as they have future job and career prospects to think about, hacking a device can been seen as a positive thing for quite a few jobs, be it working for the other side for developing security, just outright enabling piracy would not look good on any real job applications, if anything it would count against you as i doubt many companies would want to risk having someone who is know to release tool to pirate working on their software.

the past glory days where usually more to do with being the first to achieve something that was deemed technically impossible, but now days with piracy device companies pouring money into finding exploits and profiting from them, this means that 9/10 these "teams" are the first to find/develop an exploit and even if someone else finds an exploit they usually prefer to cash in the exploit and either claim a reward from the piracy device manufacturer, or in some cases claim a reward from the original device manufacturer to make them aware of the exploit so it can be silently patched before people can take advantage of it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ab8GtuPdrUQ +1