I want to upgrade my gpu to 3060ti or 3070

clianvXAi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I want to play pc games in 4k (already own the monitor). I used the monitor for ps4, but after i played their exclusive games, got bored of the console. Want to play skyrim and mhw with mods, something impossible on sony consoles.

my pc is pretty old, 5 years old

1 GPU GTX 1060 C EDITION WINDFORCE 3GB DDR5
2 MOTHERBOARD GIGABYTE H110M-S2PV
3 CPU INTEL 15 7400 3GHZ
4 ZEPPELIN DDR4 8GB 2400MHZ
5 TR2 S 600W

It is possible to upgrade only the gpu, or do i need to upgrade other components as well.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
30 Series cards support the latest PCI-E Speeds of 4.0, where as your motherboard is 3.0

Also for some cards the minimum is a 650W PSU.

Suggestion is upgrade your PSU to a 700-750W, your Motherboard will not utilize the full speed accessibility of the card but this is only a microscopic concern, and not something worth losing your mind over. (PCI-E 4.0 Was not standard in Intel boards until around Gen 11 anyways and I use my 3060ti with a 9th Gen Board with no issues).

Just look for a better wattage PSU for your card, of course that is if you can find one.

Segger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Newegg has a power calculator: https://www.newegg.com/tools/power-supply-calculator/

It looks like the 3060ti adds 120W and the 3070 adds 160W compared to the 1060. You probably need an 800 Watt PSU, but maybe more if you have more HDDs.
I checked out that calculator and it seems to be pretty seriously inflating the numbers, probably so you’ll buy the most expensive PSU from Newegg, no surprise since that whole company is basically a giant scam at this point.

I tried out this one from Cooler Master’s site and the results are much more reasonable.
For example, once I popped my CPU and mobo combo into newegg the recommended supply immediately shot up to 448w which is ABSURD.

My CPU could maybe draw 150 peak under heavy load which lined up roughly with the cooler master calculator. The Newegg site basically said I needed a 1 kilowatt supply, that would be alarming since I’m running comfortably off of 650 with an RTX 3080.

Reactions: Kraken_X

Kraken_X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, that's good to know. I've been using the Newegg calculator for years and I guess I've been oversizing my systems and telling friends to do the same. Having too much power wouldn't cause a problem, so you would never know. The only way to tell for sure would be to use something like a Kill A Watt and see how much the system actually uses under load and compare.

My latest build says 564 watts on the Coolermaster one and 940 watts on Newegg's. I bought a 1000 watt bronze PSU and I guess I probably could have gotten a more efficient 750 watt for less money.

However, Nvidia officially says that the 3080 alone can draw 400 watts, so 564 watts for the whole system seems suspect. Nvidia recommends at least a 750 watt.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, which is the best affordable gaming pc? I have some free time and would like to play games. To be honest, I haven't played games for a long time.
The best option is to always build your own. Prebuilts will always cost more, especially branded ones, while offering less.

Reactions: Overri

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
The best option is to always build your own. Prebuilts will always cost more, especially branded ones, while offering less.

I’ve actually found the biggest issue with prebuilts is when you don’t know exactly what you’re buying internally.

For example, Dell’s proprietary BS or something like the old Compaq I was given with just one DIMM socket.

Reactions: Overri

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’ve actually found the biggest issue with prebuilts is when you don’t know exactly what you’re buying internally.

For example, Dell’s proprietary BS or something like the old Compaq I was given with just one DIMM socket.
Those are also other very true detractors of prebuilts but to say they are consistently at the top of the list of issues with them would be a long list to say. Its just best to build your own since you know what you are getting and putting together.

I can't tell you how many times I had to service some kid's Cyberpower or whatever PC and the specs of them are laughable compared to what they paid for. $1400 for an i5 11th gen and a 2070 on a mini ATX board in an overly large case with LED's covering all over it hiding the fact of how piss poor it is? Its like putting a lamborghini shell over a golf cart. Its pathetic to see how they get away with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1