I want to start playing WOW

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by smoothbwlr, Jul 2, 2008.

Jul 2, 2008

I want to start playing WOW by smoothbwlr at 5:14 PM (1,045 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. smoothbwlr
    OP

Newcomer smoothbwlr Member

United States
    First off I have to ask a very noobish questions. In order to play wow do you buy the game from a store like best buy or do you simply download it like you would for other mmorpg's on pc?

I want to play on a private server because I heard that you can play for free that way. I don't want to pay monthly because i change games alot, I play one for a few weeks then move on to another, then go back. So I dont want to pay 15 bucks and not play or feel obligated to play.

What should I do to get started or should I just decide on whether or not to pay 15 a month?

2. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    Speaking from experience, the official, $15/mo WoW is a lot better than the private servers and worth the cost imo. This is mainly due to the official servers being polished and mostly bug free, where as private servers still have many bugs and aren't a populated as the official servers. The private servers have been getting better though.

Also, if I remember correctly, when you buy the game, you get one month free. They also have a 10-day trail version on the website. Or if you have a friend that has WoW, you can install it on your PC from their CDs and see if they still have the 14-day free trail codes that came with the game.

You can buy the game, with or without the first expansion, in stores. Or you can download it from the WoW website, but I think that's only if you create an account with them.

If you decide to pirate it, there's no CD key or cracks needed, since normally you would "authenticate" it by logging into the Blizzard servers. All you have to do is edit the login server entry in one of the files to make it point to a private servers (this is explained on private server websites).

3. tomqman

Member tomqman This Is Everyone's Fault But Mine.

United Kingdom
  4. SavageWaffle

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Same Money, Live Better, play in a Private Server.
    Although i warn you, you WILL be addicted!

5. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Just don't play it, don't even think about it. Your life will be so much better without an MMORPG.

6. tomqman

Member tomqman This Is Everyone's Fault But Mine.

United Kingdom
    +1

7. test84

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    You could view "Make Love not Warcraft" episode of South Park, I never even watched trailer or gameplay of this game as I saw some of my friends got sucked there and are always there, they never come to forums.

If you dont want to see that episode, I tell you some part of it:
    At somepoint Blizzard two owners are after a WoW account to get into the world, one of them asks the other "hey, do you have a WoW account?", the other one replies "no, I got a life". got it?

8. SkankyYankee

Member SkankyYankee GBAtemp Advanced Skank

United States
    Simcity is the only game with no end ill think about playing.

"How can you kill that which has no life?" ROTFL [​IMG]

+2