I want to start from scratch, would love some help

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by raptir, Apr 19, 2010.

Apr 19, 2010
  1. raptir
    OP

Member raptir GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm currently on 4.1, but I've been modded since 3.4 and I'd like to remove all my homebrew and start over.

First, I had seen a guide to reverting your Wii to "virgin" status, but now the only one I can find is fairly old. Can anyone link me to a current one?

Second, should I remove BootMii when I do this, or leave that on there? Is anything gained by removing and reinstalling it?

Third, what's the best order to do things in? Remove the homebrew, update to 4.2, then bannerbomb?

Last, what versions of the cIOSes do I want for using the Configurable USB loader? I was using GX before, and it had issues with cIOS222 v5. Will configurable work with it and cIOSx rev19? And what base IOSes do I want to use for the cIOSes?

Thanks in advance!

2. ChokeD

Member ChokeD The Contributor

United States

3. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    First and second: see ChokeD replies (note: I'd make a nand backup of what you have now, just to be safe).

Third: the 4.2 update is basically nothing more than a homebrew sweeper, so removing your homebrew in advance isn't needed if you want to start afresh. After that, it's indeed using bannerbomb (the version for 4.2).

Last: kinda ironic...I just noticed yesterday that GX on v5 doesn't have the issue with music games that I had with CFG (where it kinda endless loops at the end of a song). But other than that...yes, CFG will use v5 just fine, and cIOS rev19 as well (afaik, that goes for all base IOS'es).

Which base IOS you best take kinda depends.
    Base 57 has best USB loading times
    Base 38 can use wad manager to install things
    Base 37 is best for music game capability.

4. raptir
    OP

United States
    Great, thanks for the info. One last thing. Someone had told me they FAT32 is actually more stable than WBFS for USB loading now. Is that true? I'm having a hard time believing that because I've always just assumed you were sacrificing stability/reliability for convenience.

5. raptir
    OP

United States
    Actually, reading over that guide, it seems like this might not be a great idea. Maybe I'll just clean it up with AnyTitleDeleter. What's the best way to update? Should I update through Nintendo and then rehack it, or should I find a safe updater somewhere?

6. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Can that someone produce any statistics for that? No? Didn't think so. In truth, it really doesn't matter that much what stability's concerned. They both work, and are both stable. I don't think anyone has gathered sufficient data about hardware failures to come to an objective base of which one is the most stable one. Still, there are some who have bad experience with file system A, and therefore claim that file system B is more stable.

...but WBFS users can't deny that FAT32 users can use that same partition to store homebrew shit on it.

As for updates...it's been said quite some times now on these forums: if you update to 4.2 the official way, it'll overwrite all your homebrew. Do that if you want to start over afterward.

Personally, I updated using zektor's safe firmware updater. I had to reinstall priiloader at the end, but aside that, I haven't encountered any problems. [​IMG]

7. raptir
    OP

United States
    Well, I decided to go ahead and follow the completesoftmodguide's manual update guide to 4.2, and just used AnyTitleDeleter to delete things I wasn't using anymore.

Also, Priiloader is so much better than the last time I used Preloader. Seems to boot quicker, and the Wii Remote still works when it's in the GHWT guitar.

I guess I'm still on the fence about the format for my partition though. I have an 8GB SD card, so it's not like I really need homebrew on my USB HDD. Plus, my USB HDD keeps putting itself to sleep, so if I try to, say, save my snes9x GX save games to it, it will often freeze because it loses touch with the HD.