I want to remove the volume bar that appears when I turn up the volume!

Langin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi there,

I have yet another problem that annoys me a tiny bit ;)

First take a look at the file I uploaded:

New Bitmap Image.jpg

Alright, you can see two arrows, both are pointing at the volume level, the one in the upper-left corner is from Windows itself which fits Windows great. The one in the down-right corner, is the one from Dell.

This is for volume control and I only want to see one of them.(The Windows one looks better.) And the same goes for brightness level for my screen.

Does any of you know how to remove these Dell volume/brightness bars, on my laptop?

Edit: I have no idea where to start, I've removed a lot of Dell crap from my PC lately, but this one wasn't included in the package I deinstalled... //n_n//

Another question,

I have 3 extra buttons on the top right off my keyboard(see photo bellow), and I want to change the function of one of the buttons.

Here's the photo(sorry for bad quality, took it with my phone):

20130106_162718.jpg

But right, here's each of their function from left to right:

The two gears: menu pops up, can I change it to mobility center? That one was first assigned until I installed Windows 8
the tool: pops up Dell Solution thing support blah, I HATE IT, can I assign another program?
The screen: nothing wrong with, this turns off my screen! ;D

Thanks!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is occasionally a tricky proposition as proper functionality finds itself wound into meaningless nonsense.

You are going to want a startup manager, I am afraid I am not up on my windows 8 ones right now but most legacy ones should do it all anyway.
http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/autoruns-portable is a reasonable start.

Most of them will come with little checkboxes so you can pick and choose what runs. You were on the right mark with the dell stuff- with a few slim exceptions for some wireless cards that force it on me I tend to lose anything that has a vendor name on it when fixing up a machine.

Remapping shortcuts is a different matter. Best case scenario- they are simple key combos you can stick another program in to interpret or they have a nice options setting somewhere to change them, worse and more common is said options are tied to a large startup program and worst is no real options to change things other than playing hacker or even that one or two of them is hardware mapped somewhere (I would not be surprised to see the screen one be that).

Langin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for the help Fast, but I can't seem to find the driver that needs to be shut of to conclude my problem. I did uncheck all Dell programs except for one which is needed for some wireless stuff.

Oh the three button are connected to my hardware separately if that is what you meant? I opened up my Laptop once and found out there is a different ribbon cable for those things.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You can also run msconfig from the start menu, it has a startup tab that contains the main startup list.

It doesn't have nearly as much info as something like autoruns, but in my experience all the preinstalled programs that run on startup will be there.

EDIT: And it's a program you want to disable. If you disable the sound driver you'll be without sound.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
You can also run msconfig from the start menu, it has a startup tab that contains the main startup list.

It doesn't have nearly as much info as something like autoruns, but in my experience all the preinstalled programs that run on startup will be there.
Yeah this, basically just disable everything Dell that you see that you don't recognise.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
For remapping the keys:

Download and install Autohotkey from here: http://www.autohotkey.com/ (it is a scripting language with fairly decent key remapping abilities).

Create a file with the extension .ahk and put the following in it:

Code:
#InstallKeybdHook

(that is all you need to put in the file), then double click the file. Provided Autohotkey is installed correctly, the script should run, which will make an icon appear in the system tray (it will be a green square with a white "H" on it). Double click that icon and a window should pop up. Click "View" > "Key history and script info". Then press one of the buttons, followed by F5. You should get something like the following:

24Ok2.png

The important columns to note are "Key" and "SC". If a name is shown in the "Key" column, all is well. If not, you can use "SCXXX" where XXX is the number from the SC column in place of the name at the next step. (So in my case I could use "Media_Prev", or "SC110").
So now you have the name (or scan code) of your key, it's time to actually remap it to something useful. To do that, create a new .ahk script and put something like the following in it:
Code:
Media_Prev::F5
SC110::F5
(Only one is necessary, I just showed both). This allows you to remap one key to do the function of another. But this may not be very useful to you. Something more useful may be something like this:
Code:
Media_Prev::Run,"notepad.exe"
This would run notepad whenever that button is pushed. (Again, SC110 could be used in place of "Media_Prev"). You can replace the "notepad.exe" with something else. For most executables, you will need to give the full path to the file (e.g. Run,"C:\example\path\to\program.exe"). You can also include parameters (e.g.Run,"C:\program\file.exe -o example.txt") or whatever. Passing a file name should also work, it will cause Windows to handle that file in the same way it would if you double clicked it (so using Run,"example.txt" would probably open it in Notepad unless you've changed the default program for .txt files).

There are many other commands you can use as well besides "Run", a full list is here: http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/commands.htm

You may want to also put the .AHK script into your startup directory so that it will always run when Windows starts (google the location of this directory for your specific version of Windows).
Note that this method may not work for all keys. If they do not appear at all in the script Window (see above screenshot), then they cannot be remapped using autohotkey I'm afraid.

Langin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Right, I found that program! It was Dell Quick Set! ;D YEAH

That's one problem less.

Also could anybody tell what the 'Akamai' program is good for? I've read it does nothing really.

Whenever I do what you said SifJar, my pc gives an error that the file isn't found! ;o It is remapped since the error comes from the program itself ;D So there's progress.

Also is there a shortcut to:

Windows Mobility Centre or Control Panel?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Water park was quite fun
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Water park was quite fun