I want to play the Lunar series, but I'm confused with the remakes...

cloudfe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So, I'd like to start with The Silver Star, being the first game of the series. But I see there are three different remakes: one called Complete for ps1, one called Legend for gba, and one called Harmony for psp.
Which one would you suggest I play, and why?

Reiten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The one for the ps1 is the original and it's rather hard(till lvl 50 the bosses lvl with the main character), but it's a good game. If I recall right the gba one is a watered down version and was easy compared to the ps1. Haven't played the psp one so I can't comment on that one. So if you want a challenge go with the ps1 version, if it's only for the story take the gba version and save yourself some frustration.

And if you liked the game I recommend picking up Lunar 2 too.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The one for the ps1 is the original and it's rather hard(till lvl 50 the bosses lvl with the main character), but it's a good game. If I recall right the gba one is a watered down version and was easy compared to the ps1. Haven't played the psp one so I can't comment on that one. So if you want a challenge go with the ps1 version, if it's only for the story take the gba version and save yourself some frustration.

And if you liked the game I recommend picking up Lunar 2 too.

But isn't the Sega Megadrive-CD version the original one?

cloudfe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi, thank you for replying :) I thought the Sega CD version was the original one. Except for the difficulty level, are there content variations or particular enhancement between the different versions?

Reiten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sorry my mistake I tend to forget the sega one since I played the ps1 first. Well it seems the psp one has some kind of prologue add, aside from that I don't recall there being any big differences in the story between the gba and the ps1 version. The gba has a slightly different combat system, but as I said it' a simplified version of the ps1 game.
Looked it up on google and it seems that if you want a challenge go for the ps1 version, if you want to enjoy the story take the psp version.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've only played a couple of the ports/remakes. From the ones I've seen, it doesn't really matter if you're just in it for the story. As far as that goes, I'd recommend the PSP version as it's the easiest to find. I haven't played much of it, but from what I could tell the original story was intact.

cloudfe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I've found a review on Amazon for the PSP version, and guy who wrote it sounded very passionate about the saga. While he founds the PSP version quite adequate, he also points out the reasons for the ps1 version to be superior. I must say, he did convince me :) I also want to play the sequel (Eternal Blue), and I'd feel more comfortable with a coherent art style. And since there is no psp remake for the second one... (and since I'm a sucker for good-old sprites...)
But please feel free to tell me why you would go with the psp version.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've just found out there's also a Sega Saturn version :glare:

There are actually two Saturn versions, I believe. One for the regular Saturn, one for if you have that MPEG thingy that goes into the slot behind that door where the save battery is located. But it's all moot unless you know Japanese, as that one stayed in Japan. I think there's also a PC version in Japan, but not sure about that.

As for the rest, SegaCD or PSX are the best bet. There are some changes in the story and some game mechanics between the two, and some people greatly prefer the SCD original, while others appreciate the better sound and visuals of the PSX. Only the SCD has random battles, so if you hate those go with PSX, but other than the world map (where there are no battles at all except on the SCD) it's not exactly easy to avoid the enemies so to me it doesn't really matter about the random battles or not. Either way you'll be fighting a lot in the dungeons.

GBA is very cut down, don't even bother with it except as a novelty.

PSP is a worse translation (they couldn't use the older translations due to rights issues) with worse voice acting for the most part. The new prologue scene in particular has some really horrendous voice acting. It's not as cut down as the GBA version, but still things aren't quite how they were before, dungeons seem way shorter/easier. Going back to the new prologue, it's really odd and doesn't really fit the tone of the game anyway, so I say skip the PSP version unless it's all you can find for what you're willing to pay. You can always convert the PSX version to play on the PSP if you really want to play on the go.

That's just the first Lunar. The second one, Eternal Blue, hasn't been redone since the PSX. Again, PSX or SegaCD, some like one over the other but they're both good. There's some problems getting started in the SCD version, since you have to pay a type of magic experience to save your game, and it's in short supply at first, but after an hour or two it stops to really matter at all. The whole magic experience system is gone in the PSX version, and you can just save anywhere. The changes to EB aren't as drastic as in the first game, but again, some just prefer the original.

One final note, stay far away from Dragon Song, the Lunar game on the DS. IT IS HORRIBLE.

cloudfe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
My main argument for the PSP version is it is far easier to find in good condition than older versions, especially the PS1 version.

I'll hit eBay and the usual suspects, maybe I'll get lucky.
One final note, stay far away from Dragon Song, the Lunar game on the DS. IT IS HORRIBLE.

Sounds like you talk for experience :D Are there other titles worth playing from this saga?

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll hit eBay and the usual suspects, maybe I'll get lucky.

Good luck. I'd check pawn shops first, especially small obscure ones. You never know what odd games have been hiding in the back of those for 20 years. I've found some expensive gems in the back of those for only a few dollars.

cloudfe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Good luck. I'd check pawn shops first, especially small obscure ones. You never know what odd games have been hiding in the back of those for 20 years. I've found some expensive gems in the back of those for only a few dollars.

Thanks, I guess I'll need it (no pawns shops around here, only the web to help you in these quests).

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I've played the PS1 version and beat it, played the GBA version and wanted to throw it out a fucking window, and played the PSP version, but didn't get very far. I did enjoy the PSP version though, because it had great voiceovers for all the dialog. But overall, the PS1 version was the best in terms of what a great JRPG should be. The PSP version was also very well polished, and the graphics alone were astounding for being fully 2D. Do yourself a favor, and just forget there ever was a GBA version, it's watered-down to the point of being truly awful, especially if you've played the PS1 version.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I own the PS1 version (with the beautiful instruction booklet and cloth map), and having beaten it and no other version, I recommend the PS1 version. It was challenging, a lot of fun, and a really solid JRPG.

Reactions: Jayro

sandytf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lunar I and II for the PSX are by far my favorite games of all time. However, the Sega CD version is also very good. The PSX versions made a number of changes, so it's definitely worth it to play both.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Boo I thought that was a rejection comment