I want to play Mother

sphere9

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I really want to check out the Mother series, but I have no idea where I should start/which versions I should play.

Any Mother experts out there who can lend me a hand?

Sir-Fritz

Trophies
XP
Country
Well if you want to try the original nes game you could play that. Or play the more well known snes game earthbound or the newer gba game mother 3. I haven't played earthbound that much but i don't think you need to play one to play the others in terms of story. They also have different characters.

sphere9

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So there is no one title that can be considered the definitive entry point into the series? I was thinking of just starting with the SNES one and taking it from there.

I heard that there were some complicated anti-piracy checks on it though, which makes it kinda hard to emulate, can anyone confirm/deny?

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
When I ran it on my SNES Flashcart for the first time it brought up anti piracy issues(a lot of games have done this because I dumped them improperly). ucon64 fixed that up though. I have heard the game can delete your save file(near the end I heard) if it detects its pirated or something). Just use savestates if you want to be safe. As for your original question I would go Earthbound(Mother 2).

fishykipper

pkmn breeder
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i got all of them, used wikipedia to find all the correct names!
theres english translation out there for each game!
then i downloaded them and played them through my wii, using an emulator channel! pretty phat on a big screen!
I must say i found them amazing, almost as addictive as PKM!

mother 3 is especially good!

Jotokun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely play Mother 2/Earthbound before you play Mother 3. There are some direct plot connections, and while you dont need Mother 2 to understand anything, it will increase your appreciation for the later half of the game.

Mother 1 is pretty close to Mother 2, while direct connections exist I dont think it'd be a problem to play 2 before 1 because of how similar their plots are.

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Although I went from 2 to 1 and then 3, it might actually be a good idea to play them in order. The end of 1 sets up the story for 2, and the end of 2 sets up the story for 3, even though all 3 games are years apart from each other timeline wise. You'll also get a better understanding of the main antagonist in 2 if you beat 1 first.

kirokun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Play them in order:

Mother/Earthbound Zero
Mother 2/Earthbound
Mother 3/Earthbound 2 [Most people still call it Mother 3]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, Mario mushroom.