Hacking I want to downgrade my New Nintendo 3DS XL but I still having a ton of question

kratoz29

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I've read a lot of things here and there, and I'm getting more used to the glossary of this subject, I need to say that I'm a bit noob with Nintendo's software (no CFW) so I've never done simple task like backing up a SD or save games of eShop games, I've successfully downgraded a O3DS to 4.5 and installed Emunand in 10.3 but with this thing I'm having some doubts... I'll try to explain as good as I can:

1.- And most important, is there any way currently to keep playing my cartridges normally? My save data of Majora's Mask was wiped when tried to play it in O3DS emunand 10.3, last time I've played it was when I had it in 9.9.

Now when I create a file and then try to play it in my New Nintendo 3DS Xl got wiped again, I've read that I could play it in the sysnand, but mine is to low and the game doesn't run, and booting would be a hassle. I'll keep buying my cartridges and I know about the dump process but I really would love to just play without any installation.

2.- A ton of guides I've seen about downgrading and installing CFW suggest to use a tiny MicroSD/SD or the default ones of the systems, If I want to keep my information of my MicroSD (I've Mario Kart 7 from the eShop, and the save, the most important of course) I just should copy all the information to my PC, do the entire process of downgrading and installing emunand etc etc? and then when I've my emunand installed I just can copy the old files to my microSD? sorry if it sounds confusing but I've read some guides about transferring the emunand of a SD card to another, but I think is not completely what I want, I'm a lot worried about the info and I just have the microSD that came with my NN3DSXL, (I'm planning to get a bigger one, but isn't recommended to this process I think).

3.- If I want to unlink my nand, the only way is formatting the handheld? what about the activity log and the streeetpass?

4.- How can I back up the information of my O3DS's SD? It has CFW as I've said before, just copying the files? I know backing up the nand takes a process apart.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've read a lot of things here and there, and I'm getting more used to the glossary of this subject, I need to say that I'm a bit noob with Nintendo's software (no CFW) so I've never done simple task like backing up a SD or save games of eShop games, I've successfully downgraded a O3DS to 4.5 and installed Emunand in 10.3 but with this thing I'm having some doubts... I'll try to explain as good as I can:

1.- And most important, is there any way currently to keep playing my cartridges normally? My save data of Majora's Mask was wiped when tried to play it in O3DS emunand 10.3, last time I've played it was when I had it in 9.9.

Now when I create a file and then try to play it in my New Nintendo 3DS Xl got wiped again, I've read that I could play it in the sysnand, but mine is to low and the game doesn't run, and booting would be a hassle. I'll keep buying my cartridges and I know about the dump process but I really would love to just play without any installation.

2.- A ton of guides I've seen about downgrading and installing CFW suggest to use a tiny MicroSD/SD or the default ones of the systems, If I want to keep my information of my MicroSD (I've Mario Kart 7 from the eShop, and the save, the most important of course) I just should copy all the information to my PC, do the entire process of downgrading and installing emunand etc etc? and then when I've my emunand installed I just can copy the old files to my microSD? sorry if it sounds confusing but I've read some guides about transferring the emunand of a SD card to another, but I think is not completely what I want, I'm a lot worried about the info and I just have the microSD that came with my NN3DSXL, (I'm planning to get a bigger one, but isn't recommended to this process I think).

3.- If I want to unlink my nand, the only way is formatting the handheld? what about the activity log and the streeetpass?

4.- How can I back up the information of my O3DS's SD? It has CFW as I've said before, just copying the files? I know backing up the nand takes a process apart.

I'll try to answer these questions as best I can, but I will likely need some more info from you, ok?

1.) Your games should have no problems playing provided they either don't require 9.5+ or you use a CFW that is capable of using a 10.3 emunand (currently Reinand and Cakes only). At worst you might lose a save if the save was created on 4.x, I'm not 100% sure how that works.

2.) You can easily buy a new, larger, micro sd to use with your N3DS and copy the data from your original one (the 4gb it ships with) to the larger one and the new one should work out of box provided it is 32GB or smaller. If its 64GB or larger you will need to format the SD card to Fat32 with a tool like easus. The 3DS does not support exfat and 64GB+ cards are formatted as exfat by default.

3.) The only way is to format the handheld. This data will remain intact on the emunand provided the format is done via sysnand, just run the format with the card removed.

4.) This one is complicated and needs more data.

Are you planning to primarily use the N3DS once it is set up? If so you might want to just set up the N3DS and system transfer the O3DS data to it.

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Dont just backup the files I ruined my emunand like this and wasted hours. You need to make a 1:1 dump of your sd card.

I recommend using this guide.So backup your sdcard it will give you an img file I believe and you flash it back when you are done or when you want to switch sd cards,apparently there are some hidden crucial files that you cant just drag and drop to your computer so its best to do a 1:1 backup.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dont just backup the files I ruined my emunand like this and wasted hours. You need to make a 1:1 dump of your sd card.

I recommend using this guide.So backup your sdcard it will give you an img file I believe and you flash it back when you are done or when you want to switch sd cards,apparently there are some hidden crucial files that you cant just drag and drop to your computer so its best to do a 1:1 backup.
If you ruined your emunand by just backing up the files its because you didnt follow the guides properly and formatted the emunand, thus altering the keyY used to encrypt the sd card data.

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you ruined your emunand by just backing up the files its because you didnt follow the guides properly and formatted the emunand, thus altering the keyY used to encrypt the sd card data.

I ruined my emunand by injecting tickets.db with rxtools. Dont derail this poor guys thread,we get it you consider yourself a 3ds "Haxor"

kratoz29

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'll try to answer these questions as best I can, but I will likely need some more info from you, ok?

1.) Your games should have no problems playing provided they either don't require 9.5+ or you use a CFW that is capable of using a 10.3 emunand (currently Reinand and Cakes only). At worst you might lose a save if the save was created on 4.x, I'm not 100% sure how that works.

2.) You can easily buy a new, larger, micro sd to use with your N3DS and copy the data from your original one (the 4gb it ships with) to the larger one and the new one should work out of box provided it is 32GB or smaller. If its 64GB or larger you will need to format the SD card to Fat32 with a tool like easus. The 3DS does not support exfat and 64GB+ cards are formatted as exfat by default.

3.) The only way is to format the handheld. This data will remain intact on the emunand provided the format is done via sysnand, just run the format with the card removed.

4.) This one is complicated and needs more data.

Are you planning to primarily use the N3DS once it is set up? If so you might want to just set up the N3DS and system transfer the O3DS data to it.

1) Sorry but didn't get it quite well, my emunand is in 10.3 and if I play it in other 3DS that is in 10.3 and if I play it in my other NN3DSXL it says that the file is corrupt and erase it without asking, both are in the same version, the only difference is that one si emunand and the other is sysnand (no emunand installed, yet).

2) Yeah, I want to get a 32GB Micro SD to use with my NN3DSXL, but I'd like to do the process of downgrading and installing emunand with the default one (4gb) but keep my data.

3) So if I decide to get rid of my CFW in the future I'll lose activity log and that stuff?

4) Oh no, both are separate systems totally (even they have a different NNID) what I want is just make a backup of my stuff, should be nice how to do it with CFW or without, it sounds weird cause I'm talking about two systems, I want to back them up.

Let me get clear this first:

a) I'd like first to back up my info of my NN3DSXL which still without CFW and when I get it to just get my data back.
b) Regarding my O3DS I want to back up my info (and emunand) cause once deleted all the CIAs I've previously installed with the save games cause entered to data management in sysnand, yeah, I wanted to know what would happen, now I know, but as far as I know this won't happen again if I unlink them.

Do you mean this guide? https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-transfer-emunand-to-another-sd-card-working-on-new3ds.383684/

What do you mean about your emunand? but do you assure me the files are intact just copying them to Windows? (save games and games)

How did ruined yours? in my O3DS I've backed up my nand following a tutorial, is that different to emunand?

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Sorry but didn't get it quite well, my emunand is in 10.3 and if I play it in other 3DS that is in 10.3 and if I play it in my other NN3DSXL it says that the file is corrupt and erase it without asking, both are in the same version, the only difference is that one si emunand and the other is sysnand (no emunand installed, yet).

2) Yeah, I want to get a 32GB Micro SD to use with my NN3DSXL, but I'd like to do the process of downgrading and installing emunand with the default one (4gb) but keep my data.

3) So if I decide to get rid of my CFW in the future I'll lose activity log and that stuff?

4) Oh no, both are separate systems totally (even they have a different NNID) what I want is just make a backup of my stuff, should be nice how to do it with CFW or without, it sounds weird cause I'm talking about two systems, I want to back them up.

a) I'd like first to back up my info of my NN3DSXL which still without CFW and when I get it to just get my data back.
b) Regarding my O3DS I want to back up my info (and emunand) cause once deleted all the CIAs I've previously installed with the save games cause entered to data management in sysnand, yeah, I wanted to know what would happen, now I know, but as far as I know this won't happen again if I unlink them.

Do you mean this guide? https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-transfer-emunand-to-another-sd-card-working-on-new3ds.383684/

What do you mean about your emunand? but do you assure me the files are intact just copying them to Windows? (save games and games)

How did ruined yours? in my O3DS I've backed up my nand following a tutorial, is that different to emunand?

I was tinkering around with rxtools features and I njected a tickets.db from my o3ds in attempt to save myself from reinstalling 40 cias.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

1.) Huh that seems weird and tbh I have no idea why it is happening. Probably something related to the save encyption.

2.) I personally would get and set up the 32GB card first, but either way works. Just make sure you do not actually format the system or it will break the encryption used on the data and make you unable to access it.

3.) That is the downside yes. Transferring stuff from sysnand to emunand is generally a one-way process. Technically it can go the other way with a hard mod to dump/inject your nand, but that is not easy for most people.

4.) Ah ok, then yeah once you are downgraded the process for setting up your emunand and cfw on your N3DS is very much like the process on the O3DS, with pretty much the same disclaimers and limitations. The single big exception is that at the moment the N3DS is limited to 9.5 on emunand unless you are using a beta build of either Reinand or Cakes.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I was tinkering around with rxtools features and I njected a tickets.db from my o3ds in attempt to save myself from reinstalling 40 cias.
Had you formatted your emunand (via system settings) at any point between dumping the ticket.db and trying to inject it?

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1.) Huh that seems weird and tbh I have no idea why it is happening. Probably something related to the save encyption.

2.) I personally would get and set up the 32GB card first, but either way works. Just make sure you do not actually format the system or it will break the encryption used on the data and make you unable to access it.

3.) That is the downside yes. Transferring stuff from sysnand to emunand is generally a one-way process. Technically it can go the other way with a hard mod to dump/inject your nand, but that is not easy for most people.

4.) Ah ok, then yeah once you are downgraded the process for setting up your emunand and cfw on your N3DS is very much like the process on the O3DS, with pretty much the same disclaimers and limitations. The single big exception is that at the moment the N3DS is limited to 9.5 on emunand unless you are using a beta build of either Reinand or Cakes.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Had you formatted your emunand (via system settings) at any point between dumping the ticket.db and trying to inject it?
not emunand. The problem was that the ticket was dumped from a o3ds 10.3 emunand and apparently there is conflict between that and a 9.5 emunand. In other words,I injected ticketsdb from o3ds to new3ds and it bricked my emunand

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not emunand. The problem was that the ticket was dumped from a o3ds 10.3 emunand and apparently there is conflict between that and a 9.5 emunand.
Was it from your own emunand?

if not that might have been the problem.

Otherwise either you got REALLY unlucky or I was equally lucky because I basically did the exact same thing this morning with my N3DS. Dumped the ticket.db from my emunand while it was on 10.3, then injected the 9.5 dump I made last night and then injected the new ticket.db into the old emunand and it worked fine.

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was it from your own emunand?

if not that might have been the problem.

Otherwise either you got REALLY unlucky or I was equally lucky because I basically did the exact same thing this morning with my N3DS. Dumped the ticket.db from my emunand while it was on 10.3, then injected the 9.5 dump I made last night and then injected the new ticket.db into the old emunand and it worked fine.

So I used Rxtools to extract tickets.db using the tools it came with from O3ds Cfw 10.3 emunand 33mb file
On my N3ds I injected the 33 mb file into my emunand on my new3ds xl.
My emunand bricked and I got black screen.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I used Rxtools to extract tickets.db using the tools it came with from O3ds Cfw 10.3 emunand 33mb file
On my N3ds I injected the 33 mb file into my emunand on my new3ds xl.
My emunand bricked and I got black screen.
OH.

Yeah that's why. You used an O3DS ticket.db on an N3DS, which is probably why it blackscreened. It is also possible that the blackscreen was because the ticket was using expecting a different \<id0>\<id1> string on the sd card.

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OH.

Yeah that's why. You used an O3DS ticket.db on an N3DS, which is probably why it blackscreened. It is also possible that the blackscreen was because the ticket was using expecting a different \<id0>\<id1> string on the sd card.

Any ideas if I want to experiment with this later?My goal is to bring my 50+ emunand games from the o3ds to the new 3ds.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can back it up.

Great, that makes things easier.

You can use SDF to back up all of the saves on your N3DS (probably smaller and more managable number). Then locate and install the new beta build of Reinand (or ask me for it :P ), as well as the new firmware.bin, and then update your N3DS emunand to 10.3. After that you can happily transfer your data from the O3DS emunand to the N3DS emunand via system transfer, then reinsall any games that were on the N3DS prior to the transfer and inject the saves you backed up beforehand. I'm not sure, but you might not actually lose the data doing a system transfer, I've never had the opportunity to test how it merges stuff.

If for some reason you absolutely HATE reinand and HAVE to have GW or rxTools, you should be able to just downgrade the emunand via sysupdater and swap back.

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great, that makes things easier.

You can use SDF to back up all of the saves on your N3DS (probably smaller and more managable number). Then locate and install the new beta build of Reinand (or ask me for it :P ), as well as the new firmware.bin, and then update your N3DS emunand to 10.3. After that you can happily transfer your data from the O3DS emunand to the N3DS emunand via system transfer, then reinsall any games that were on the N3DS prior to the transfer and inject the saves you backed up beforehand. I'm not sure, but you might not actually lose the data doing a system transfer, I've never had the opportunity to test how it merges stuff.

If for some reason you absolutely HATE reinand and HAVE to have GW or rxTools, you should be able to just downgrade the emunand via sysupdater and swap back.

The problem is I tried dragging a 50gb title folder from o3ds to new 3ds and i expected to be able to replace the title in what I thought was my emunand and have it lock and go. I injected the o3dstickets.db dump into my n3ds emunand and it bricked my emunand. Basically I want to transfer all the games installed on my 03ds to my n3ds withou having to redownload all of the cias from the internet.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is I tried dragging a 50gb title folder from o3ds to new 3ds and i expected to be able to replace the title in what I thought was my emunand and have it lock and go. I injected the o3dstickets.db dump into my n3ds emunand and it bricked my emunand. Basically I want to transfer all the games installed on my 03ds to my n3ds withou having to redownload all of the cias from the internet.

From what I understand about the way system transfers work, you have the option of manually moving the sd card data after the transfer.

Unfortunately what you were expecting to be able to do is not possible. The files in the title folder are hard linked to a console id that is randomly generated on system format and is unique to every format.

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I understand about the way system transfers work, you have the option of manually moving the sd card data after the transfer.

Unfortunately what you were expecting to be able to do is not possible. The files in the title folder are hard linked to a console id that is randomly generated on system format and is unique to every format.

@cearp game a guide that he said should be possible in theory,I have no idea why it didnt work. So my best bet is to make a list and redownload games lol?

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@cearp game a guide that he said should be possible in theory,I have no idea why it didnt work. So my best bet is to make a list and redownload games lol?

In theory it SHOULD work, but you would also need to move a few other files as well and i am 99% certain that going from O3DS to N3DS will cause problems.

And yah, if you aren't willing to do a transfer that is your best bet. Just use SDF to back up your saves

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person