Gaming I want to buy a PSP

Coconut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey,

So I got a DS already, and after a month of working, I wanted to buy a PSP.
Is it worth it?
And should I go for a PSP 2000 or 3000? I want to hack it, and I know I got a higher change to hack it if I buy a 2000, because the most 3000 already have a firmware higher than 5.03

FlashX007

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I recommend 2000. Not every 3000 has the chance to be hacked and you might be unfortunate and actually get a unhackable one. Go with 2000 to be safe and on the plus side 2000 is slimmer and more comfortable and 3000 is just a newer design to it.

sprogurt

Trophies
XP
Country
Coconut said:
I want to hack it

Then get a phat, all of them can be hacked and have permanent CFW whereas it depends on the mobo of the slim if it can have full CFW and 3Ks can only have temporary firmware.

Basically even if the phat has the latest firmware, it can be downgraded. Slims can either be fully hackable like a phat or like the 3K, it can only have firmware that goes when it gets fully turned off or worse, you're stuck with OFW.

FlashX007

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was going to also recommend a 1000 model at first but you said you wanted 2000/3000 so I didn't. I agree with him though. I also have a 1000 model myself and I have had no complaints so far. I am just a newbie so it is hard switching from DSi to PSP in little time. I don't know much but the experience is great.

Coconut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, I found a PSP 3000 with firmware 5.03, so that should be hackable.
A black one.

Shall I buy it?

D

DarkKnight

Not all 2000s are hackable, either. Many of them come with newer motherboards that don't like custom firmware. Your safest bet is to get either a star wars edition, god of war edition, or daxter edition PSP. These are all 2000 models that are very easily identifiable and are all hackable.

Many people seem to think the 3000 is an inferior model, anyways. I've heard a lot of gripes about the screen.

Coconut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Rydian said:
The 3000's are only semi-hackable, you will need to rehack it every time you turn it on.

A fully-hackable 2000 is a lot less headache.

Also with ChickHEN?
The only thing I want, it to be able to play downloaded games on it.

Or maybe I will buy a new blue 3000 and just pay for the games.
Or search on Ebay for games.

FlashX007

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you have money go ahead. For me spending 40-60 bucks for games is not smart at all. Fine its enjoyable but the money could be saved up or spent on something else. Either way with current economy and etc. I don't expect my pockets going somewhere else. Games are expensive
frown.gif

Coconut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Forget what I just said
tongue.gif

But do I really have to hack it everytime I start it up? To play downloaded games on it?

worm dood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ChickHEN is ("some one correct me if wrong . . . i never really needed it ") a process that leaves your psp temporarily hacked and is most commonly used on psps that are otherwise un-hackable such as a psp 3000 with its upgraded motherboard

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
ChickHEN is used in the pre-hacking process as a softmod. For a 2000 with a hackable motherboard you only need to run it once since the custom firmware is permanent, but for a later 2000 or a 3000, you need to run it each time.

Custom firmware is what allows you to play downloaded games. For a 3000, it'll revert to normal firmware when you cut it off and you'll need to rehack it each time you turn it on (which can take a bit) before you can play a downloaded game.

This is if you're not going the pandora battery route (which doesn't work on 3000's).

Your best bet is one of the special-edition PSP models you were named. I got one of the Daxter bundle PSPs (2000, "ice silver" color) and it works just fine.

Coconut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay...

Does maybe someone want to help me looking on Ebay? I searched already, but I only found the really old ones, and I don't want that one and very expensive ones.

D

DarkKnight

Coconut said:
Okay...

Does maybe someone want to help me looking on Ebay? I searched already, but I only found the really old ones, and I don't want that one and very expensive ones.

http://video-games.shop.ebay.com/Systems-/...520PSP%25202000

That's the search I trawled through and kept an eye on when I was shopping for a PSP. key words to look for are "ice silver" "star wars" "god of war" "daxter". Certain paino black models can also be hacked but not all. Unless you contact the seller and specifically ask what firmware he's on, I'd stay away from those.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: