I want to build an arcade cabinet

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by drakorex, Jan 15, 2014.

1. drakorex
    OP

drakorex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 19, 2011
    United States
    I have this idea for a kick ass arcade machine powered by the Nintendo Wii. It would be a four player standup unit with a 32'' widescreen display.

It would involve wiring up four wii arcade sticks, which I'm guessing shows up as a classic controller, each to a wavebird, wiimote, and nunchuck. I would also like to include a couple platforms that slide out from underneath, on rails, that have mounted to them gaming chairs (such as a Rocker or what have you) and a couple force feedback steering wheels.

I'm gussing each controller would need two wires per button leading up to each arcade stick button with either a multi position, or series of switches to cut off the wiimote from the nunchuck and classic controller as needed. Not really sure how to go about analog to digital for the sticks.

Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated :)

2. mike1

mike1 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2012
    United States
    find an old computer and look into hyperspin there are a lot of cheep arcade controls to usb pcb's makes everything much easier.

3. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You are really ten million quadrillion times better off with a PC-based rig running MAME. You can even dish out for an arcade monitor if you want the genuine experience.

Additionally, make up your mind about the controllers. Don't make a cabinet with ALL THE CONTROLS LULZ, it will be cluttered, messy and meh. It's better to have standard arcade controls and some USB ports on the sides for additional controllers like wheels, lightguns and whatnot that can be connected when needed.

The moment I read 4 players + steering wheels, I imagined something like this:

[​IMG]

Terribad idea - sometimes it's just good to keep it minimalistic. All-in-One cabinets never really work. ;)

djbubba2002 likes this.
  4. drakorex
    OP

Jan 19, 2011
    United States
    But I also want to be able to play some gamecube and wii games, that's why I chose to go with the wii. Plus I don't have hundreds of dollars to afford a decent computer that will run everything I need. Plus, straight booting into wiiflow would be alot better than waiting for a computer to boot and dinkin around tryin to set an emulator up and pick a game from a bunch of texts.

5. RchUncleSkeleton

RchUncleSkeleton Skeletron 9000

Feb 2, 2009
    United States
    California, USA
    If you want to play Wii and Gamecube games why would you want to stand at an arcade cabinet? You can spend less than $200 for a computer that would run mame and pretty much any other emulator you'd want for a retro multi arcade cab. I say go with a multicade like I mentioned and leave the Wii and gamecube games for the couch.

6. drakorex
    OP

Jan 19, 2011
    United States
    Because there is a genre called ''arcade'' and many gamecube and wii games in this genre would be fun to play on an arcade machine. Not to mention various beat 'em ups and racing games. It would be like simulating what if console gaming hadn't taken over and put arcades out of business for the most part. It's just a fun social stigma. Plus I know a guy who even though I hacked his wii with a bunch of retro stuff, he went out and bought a countertop arcade machine because it brings back happy memories of his childhood. I guess there's just something about standing two feet in front of a game machine with a friend next to you while other people gathered around waiting to take on the winner that's been lost on the young punks of today. Now you got me sounding like an old man. Damn kids these days with their call of duties and their wifi and their blue teeth. Back in my day we didn't have all these fancy controllers with twenty buttons. Ya know what we had? A BUTTON AND A STICK! And we played with that button and stick and we LIKED it. :[

7. kehkou

kehkou does what Nintendon't

Dec 19, 2009
    United States
    The Duke City
    I've always wanted to do exactly this. Id just use the wiimotes and maybe a few of those wii arcade sticks.

drakorex likes this.
  8. RchUncleSkeleton

RchUncleSkeleton Skeletron 9000

Feb 2, 2009
    United States
    California, USA
  9. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    I personally would just get an Sega Astro City or Sega Blast city. Preferably one with tri-sync so I can play old arcade boards up to Naomi and MAME.