Hardware I want to build a PC for pcsx2 and dolphin.

coolcono

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What type of stuff should I look for? I have never built a PC, but playing the PS2 and gamecube with enhanced graphics sounds very enticing.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
GPU prices for high end GPUs have shot up again because of cryptocurrency mining. You can still build a PC capable of using Dolphin/PCSX2 well, as high end graphics don't need a super high end GPU. You could easily get away with upscaling to 1080p with a GTX 1050, which is only ~$150 or so, or a GTX 1050 Ti as well for only ~$30 more.

However, before we recommend parts, what's your budget look like? Can't recommend parts without a proper budget in mind. What's the absolute most you want to spend on a PC for this?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GPU prices for high end GPUs have shot up again because of cryptocurrency mining. You can still build a PC capable of using Dolphin/PCSX2 well, as high end graphics don't need a super high end GPU. You could easily get away with upscaling to 1080p with a GTX 1050, which is only ~$150 or so, or a GTX 1050 Ti as well for only ~$30 more.

However, before we recommend parts, what's your budget look like? Can't recommend parts without a proper budget in mind. What's the absolute most you want to spend on a PC for this?
Supposedly 1050tis are getting expensive now, too. If he were to build one now, I'd personally recommend a 1050 or 750ti

coolcono

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

I was thinking 500.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Assuming you have a monitor, keyboard, OS (pirated or otherwise), and mouse already handy, and you don't mind not having an optical drive or SSD, the link below is a quick build I put together that should be more than good enough for a 1080p Dolphin/PCSX2 build. Some of the more "difficult" games to emulate might give you an issue FPS wise (like Shadow of the Colossus), but otherwise most games should run fine with 1080p graphical settings.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rbvHvV

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
get a high clocked quad core (or better) and a GPU (at least 1050 Ti) to be able to emulate even shadow of the colossus at 1080p with highest settings!
CPU is (of course) more important here.
I would not go under a core i5 with at least 4,5 GHz. my 3570K (delidded and OC'ed) struggles with SOTC without fine-tuning! get a better CPU if you can!

coolcono

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Assuming you have a monitor, keyboard, OS (pirated or otherwise), and mouse already handy, and you don't mind not having an optical drive or SSD, the link below is a quick build I put together that should be more than good enough for a 1080p Dolphin/PCSX2 build. Some of the more "difficult" games to emulate might give you an issue FPS wise (like Shadow of the Colossus), but otherwise most games should run fine with 1080p graphical settings.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rbvHvV
Yes. I don't need a solid state or OS or screen or mouse/keyboard.

felix.200

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HNqxLD

Here is my build. You get an i3-7100.At 3.9Ghz it is clocked fairly high for a budget processor and is perfect for emulator on a budget if you ask me. As for a graphics card I chose a GTX 1050 which will even let you play newer triple A titles at around medium settings.

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would go with used parts. a core i5 4.th gen or newer with clock OC at 4.5 GHz or more is way better than a new i3 with 3.9 GHz easily. a used GTX 970 will beat the 1050 Ti.

Last edited by naddel81,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

felix.200

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I would go with used parts. a core i5 4.th gen or newer with clock OC at 4.5 GHz or more is way better than a new i3 with 3.9 GHz easily. a used GTX 970 will beat the 1050 Ti.
Well you can always argue that buying used is cheaper but the problem is that you get no warranty and don't know if the card was used for mining.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

RyanAnayaMc

The ACE
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My system isn't the highest end but can run stuff nicely. Most games 1080p60 at good details, including Dolphin running Project M at 1080p60 with netplay. I got a GTX 1050 Ti for an insane deal of Amazon during Black Friday ($130... seriously). I'm not sure if you will need the extra 2GB of VRAM the Ti offers, so I would suggest the 1050 unless you plan on playing actual PC games. As for PS2 games, a system that can run PM at 1080p60 can definitely crush a PS2 game.

As for the CPU, you don't need the best one. I have an i5-2500K running at stock speeds with the stock cooler salvaged from another computer. Something similar in performance would be good enough for PC gaming and Dolphin. You can probably get a somewhat cheaper CPU also (maybe a newer i3).

RAM isn't that much. 8GB works great for me, and DDR3-1333, however old it may be, works just fine for all my needs, Dolphin included.

Everything else doesn't matter much. Get some good drives, maybe an SSD/HDD combo or just a hybrid drive, or only an HDD if your budget is tight. Motherboard? Get one from a reputable brand that is compatible with your other stuff. Case? You can get the cheapest one what works, or get a flashy one with a window. Wii stuff isn't that demanding, so you probably won't be outputting too much heat, so the best airflow isn't that much of a concern, but a better case is great if you plan to upgrade or do other PC gaming. The PSU also - get one from a reputable brand with enough wattage for you and the connectors you want. DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON A POWER SUPPLY. A friend of mine wrecked his whole rig with a shoddy power supply. Would you rather pay $20 less now for the off-brand, or $500 later when you realize you have to replace your whole PC? Corsair, Thermaltake, and EVGA are among the good brands for a PSU. Make sure it has enough wattage for your system.

For picking parts, go to pcpartpicker.com. They automatically see if everything is compatible for you and gives easy buy links.

spraydom22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
What type of stuff should I look for? I have never built a PC, but playing the PS2 and gamecube with enhanced graphics sounds very enticing.

Alternatively, used wiis for gc and PS3s are cheap. The PS3 has a bunch of HD remastered PS2 games and pretty good PS2 emulation on those that aren't.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning