I want to block updates AND play online.

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by NathanPeterson, May 23, 2017.

1. NathanPeterson
    OP

NathanPeterson Member

Newcomer
    Nov 18, 2011
    I've read a few different threads with different update blocker tools or changing the DNS. Is there one that will let me block future updates and play online?

2. VictorMoreno015

VictorMoreno015 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 17, 2013
    United States
    Las Vegas
    Whats the point of blocking updates while there is no sign of homebrew being out there at all?

Bladexdsl likes this.
  3. fatsquirrel
    This message by fatsquirrel has been removed from public view by Minox, May 23, 2017, Reason: Offtopic.
    May 23, 2017
  4. Seriel

Seriel Worshipper of Skiddos

Aug 18, 2015
    You can't block the Nintendo servers and not block the Nintendo servers at the same time

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    You can selectively block just the update servers.
    It's definitely possible. I'm not sure about the bare minimum blocks needed to block updates, but have seen some threads/posts about it, and you really only need to block a couple of addresses to prevent the Switch from downloading/checking for updates. AFAIK none of the DNS servers will do what you want, so you'll have to use OpenDNS to block it manually (not recommended, if your IP changes it stops blocking), or block it manually in your router (which obviously only works when you're at home, and not all routers will have that feature), or run a DNS server yourself, or set the DNS server to that of your PC, and edit the hosts file on your PC (also only works at home unless you bring a PC with you everywhere)

For the time being, I haven't blocked anything. There are no forced updates so I only have to remember to press "Start Software" when the popup appears when trying to play or resume a game. Even if I accidentally press Update, it'll ask me if I want to close whatever's running (assuming there's something running)
    I only close software when I want to power off the Switch, and it doesn't prompt me for an update when I first start something after powering on the Switch, so it would be very hard to accidentally start the update. Except for right before powering off the Switch, and when powering it on after it's been off, I always have a game or something running, I see no reason to close the game if I'm just going to leave it in sleep mode.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, May 23, 2017
  6. MSco

MSco GBAtemp Regular

Nov 2, 2016
    Gambia, The
    I have 2.0 and use this DNS: 173.255.238.217

System Updates: blocked
    Game Updates: working
    Online Gaming: working
    eshop: working for a short time after console reboot

In system settings, there is shown, that a system update is available. However, if you try to download it, you get a connection error. So, the system update seems to be blocked properly.

Last edited by MSco, May 24, 2017
    Tilde88 likes this.
  7. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 2, 2013
    Seinegald
    i'll try this, danke c:
    i'll only need eshop again after i fetch some $ for Disgaea 5 C.

to know that we can block update and still play online sounds good.
    but what if Mk8d needs to be updated? will the game itself update just fine normally without having it give some error since the system update is being blocked?

8. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    There's a separate server that will block it from checking for updates at all. Tagaya I believe?
    That also blocks it from checking for game updates, though. Not sure if there's a way to update games without that notification.

9. MSco

MSco GBAtemp Regular

Nov 2, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Updating games works fine with this dns. In the home menu you have to move your cursor to the game and press +.

From here, you can download the game update manually. Do not confirm the automatic update notification. This is the notification for a system update. Curiously, this notification appears only when a game update is available.

After installing the game update manually from the menu, this notification disappears.

Last edited by MSco, May 25, 2017