Android I want the most Vanilla experience I can get with my tablet

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
OP
Trophies
XP
I have this tablet here called the Gadmei E8-HD, and it works like a beast.
However, i wanted to remove the bloat that came preinstalled, namely the three different filebrowsers it came with, two different media players, it's own third party download manager, etc etc
But, I can't uninstall this from the app menu, and what I wanted to try is copy the apps from system/app from a cyanogenmod 9 build of a galaxy tab or something and replace an update file with those.
Can this be done without bricking my device?
If it's safe, are there any thing other directories that I should copy over to ensure the most stable experience?
I have rooted the tablet.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get an app like Titanium Backup, since the device is rooted it can remove bloatware apps easily.

As for copying over the files in system/app, I don't know. I was able to copy the mms.apk file from a Galaxy SII build to my HP touchpad (since the tablet didn't have a messaging app installed by default) and it worked just fine after a simple reboot, so it may work.

It'd be best if there were some kind of recovery for that tablet, so you can just backup/restore the original ROM if anything goes wrong. I don't believe much can happen though, this is pretty safe stuff. (Just don't go deleting any frameworks or anything like that with Titanium Backup)

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
OP
Trophies
XP
Woah, this app is fucking magic! Thanks! I can remove all this crap now. Instead of replacing files into an update.zip, I can just throw it onto the device, right?
EDIT: Also, it seems that it rebooted the same recovery menu that was on my HTC Desire HD. Does that say anything about this device? :O

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Woah, this app is fucking magic! Thanks! I can remove all this crap now. Instead of replacing files into an update.zip, I can just throw it onto the device, right?
EDIT: Also, it seems that it rebooted the same recovery menu that was on my HTC Desire HD. Does that say anything about this device? :O
The only recoveries I know about extensively are Clockworkmod, and TWRP. So I can't really help you there. :c

You can place an .apk in the system/app folder and reboot, or, if you can enable third party app installations in the android settings, you can just browse to the apk using a file manager and install it. You should use the second method. :P

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
OP
Trophies
XP
The only recoveries I know about extensively are Clockworkmod, and TWRP. So I can't really help you there. :c

You can place an .apk in the system/app folder and reboot, or, if you can enable third party app installations in the android settings, you can just browse to the apk using a file manager and install it. You should use the second method. :P
It's the default Android Recovery anyway and won't install stuff without signing it.
Was the Video.apk removed in 4.x? I remember it being there in Gingerbread...

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the default Android Recovery anyway and won't install stuff without signing it.
Was the Video.apk removed in 4.x? I remember it being there in Gingerbread...
Yes, I think they integrated it into the stock gallery app (it can see and play video) but most devices are far better off with a dedicated app like mx player.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if...