Gaming I want some info on Fire Emblem Fates

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
A friend on my 2DS recently got FE:F Conquest and said it was good, so I felt like giving it a go. I haven't touched a FE game since the third of the GBA ones, but while I've forgotten most about the mechanics, it's still fairly easy to get through. However, I've reached chapter 6 where it asks what path to pick (because nowadays having the full content in one game rather than split in two with added DLC is too much to expect from game companies...). Thing is, I only care about the story and how it will play out more enjoyably, so can someone tell me exactly what differences there are between the paths story-wise and also what path bonuses are? I got the game from FreeShop btw, so switching versions to get the other path is no biggie for me.

So, I want to know in detail what differences there are in the stories, how they play out (literally couldn't care less about spoilers, so don't worry about that), what path bonuses are and about how long each path is! Finally, how much better/worse is the Revelation path compared to the main 2?

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OH BOY. OH BOY. For my first FE game, I enjoyed it. Hardcore fans don't like the story of Fates and prefer Awakening in terms of story. However, the recommended path for players is Birthright -> Conquest -> Revelation and I do recommend playing all 3 paths eventually even if you just play one for now. For the people who still haven't played, I'll put things in a spoiler.

In Conquest:
-3 royals die (Takumi [basically possessed from the start of the path (most likely confirmed dead after falling off the wall of Suzano), Ryoma [suicide], and Azura [disappears at the end of the final battle])
-you fight against a possessed version of Takumi and a goo (and I mean GOO) version of King Garon.
-Corrin's personality more kinda laid back but still similar to Birthright!Corrin.
-You cannot scout out missions to grind your characters.
-Lilith gets killed by a Faceless after taking a hit from Corrin.
-More unique chapters/maps, "defeat the boss/escape with Corrin/seize/defend for a certain number of turns/turn restrictions on maps", etc.
-Meant to be the more harder path and geared towards the hardcore players.

In Birthright:
-3 royals die (Xander [dies from his wounds inflicted from Corrin, Elise [jumped in the way of a hit for Corrin from Xander], and Azura [dies from using her song too much])
-fight against a different version of Garon, you lose out on a maid (Flora [sets herself on fire which cannot be put out]).
-Corrin is more hardcore and "everyone must die for what they've done".
-You can scout out missions to grind.
-Lilith dies from taking a hit meant for Corrin from Hans.
-Almost all of the maps/chapters are "kill all enemies to win".
-Meant to be the easier path and gear towards beginners.

In Revelation:
-You don't get a couple of characters (Yukimura and Izana [he dies]),
-you get access to some cross region supports (i.e. Hoshido character with a Nohrian character),
-fight characters such as Sumeragi (Hoshidan kids' father), Mikoto (you know who she is), Arete (Azura's mother)
-find out the relationship between Corrin and Azura.
-You can scout out missions to grind.
-Lilith doesn't die.
-The in-between path in terms of difficulty.

Each path has 27 chapters + an endgame and there's 22 paralogues to get Mozu (Paralogue 1) and the children (yes children. Corrin, your character, has one as well).

If you don't care about spoilers, I recommend maybe watching an LP or looking up the story for each path online (http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Fire_Emblem_Fates#Plot

Last edited by KunoichiZ,
Reactions: ThoD

ThoD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
OH BOY. OH BOY. For my first FE game, I enjoyed it. Hardcore fans don't like the story of Fates and prefer Awakening in terms of story. However, the recommended path for players is Birthright -> Conquest -> Revelation and I do recommend playing all 3 paths eventually even if you just play one for now. For the people who still haven't played, I'll put things in a spoiler.

In Conquest: 3 royals die (Takumi [basically possessed from the start of the path (most likely confirmed dead after falling off the wall of Suzano), Ryoma [suicide], and Azura [disappears at the end of the final battle]), you fight against a possessed version of Takumi and a goo (and I mean GOO) version of King Garon. Corrin's personality more kinda laid back but still similar to Birthright!Corrin. You cannot scout out missions to grind your characters. Lilith gets killed by a Faceless after taking a hit from Corrin.
In Birthright: 3 royals die (Xander [dies from his wounds inflicted from Corrin, Elise [jumped in the way of a hit for Corrin from Xander], and Azura [dies from using her song too much]), fight against a different version of Garon, you lose out on a maid (Flora). Corrin is more hardcore and "everyone must die for what they've done". You can scout out missions to grind. Lilith dies from taking a hit meant for Corrin from Hans.
In Revelation: You don't get a couple of characters (Yukimura and Izana [he dies]), you get access to some cross region supports (i.e. Hoshido character with a Nohrian character), fight characters such as Sumeragi (Hoshidan kids' father), Mikoto (you know who she is), Arete (Azura's mother), and find out the relationship between Corrin and Azura. You can scout out missions to grind. Lilith doesn't die.

Each path has 27 chapters + an endgame and there's 22 paralogues to get Mozu (Paralogue 1) and the children (yes children. Corrin, your character, has one as well).

If you don't care about spoilers, I recommend maybe watching an LP or looking up the story for each path online (http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Fire_Emblem_Fates#Plot
I see... Thanks for the post. I don't mind the story and Awakening story was absolute crap so this is a step up if anything:P Difficulty-wise I couldn't care any less (playing on Lunatic with Normal mode where characters don't come back and it's still a breeze), so I'm mainly playing for the story. I WOULD watch LPs, but I despise them, especially if commentated... Anyway, how long is each of the paths in hours? Should I switch to Birthright first or keep going with Conquest? Reason for all this wondering I'm doing is because I like the cute girl characters in both kingdoms (I've gotten into a bit too much imouto-love lately:rofl2:) and want to see what happens to them. I want to kick that idiot's, Garon, ass too to be honest, but is it possible in both versions?

And two questions regarding eshop and DLC... On the European eshop and FreeShop, I see a FE: Fates (no Conquest/Birthright), so does that happen to have both paths somehow? Also, how can I get Revelation from FreeShop (doesn't show up as DLC or anything)?

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see... Thanks for the post. I don't mind the story and Awakening story was absolute crap so this is a step up if anything:P Difficulty-wise I couldn't care any less (playing on Lunatic with Normal mode where characters don't come back and it's still a breeze), so I'm mainly playing for the story. I WOULD watch LPs, but I despise them, especially if commentated... Anyway, how long is each of the paths in hours? Should I switch to Birthright first or keep going with Conquest? Reason for all this wondering I'm doing is because I like the cute girl characters in both kingdoms (I've gotten into a bit too much imouto-love lately:rofl2:) and want to see what happens to them. I want to kick that idiot's, Garon, ass too to be honest, but is it possible in both versions?

And two questions regarding eshop and DLC... On the European eshop and FreeShop, I see a FE: Fates (no Conquest/Birthright), so does that happen to have both paths somehow? Also, how can I get Revelation from FreeShop (doesn't show up as DLC or anything)?
In hours, that depends. On "How long to beat"'s website: Birthright, Conquest, Revelation. It doesn't matter which path you play first, honestly. If by cute girls you mean Elise and Sakura then, nothing happens to Sakura in either version and I mentioned earlier what happens to Elise in Birthright. More spoilers in the spoiler for the people who view this thread and don't wish to be spoiled.

You kill Garon in both games, and in Revelation, Garon gets eaten by the big bad dragon Anankos and gives him more power.

The EU versions on the eShop did Fates really weird. It gave you the first 6 chapters and then after the first 6 and you've chosen which path you want to play (BR or CQ), you would download the rest of the game you were playing. If you want to play Revelation, if it's not in the DLC found in freeShop, I would recommend looking into installing the Special Edition (can be found on that iso site). It contains all 3 paths and you'll still have access to the DLC stuff.

Last edited by KunoichiZ,

ThoD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
In hours, that depends. On "How long to beat"'s website: Birthright, Conquest, Revelation. It doesn't matter which path you play first, honestly. If by cute girls you mean Elise and Sakura then, nothing happens to Sakura in either version and I mentioned earlier what happens to Elise in Birthright. More spoilers in the spoiler for the people who view this thread and don't wish to be spoiled.

You kill Garon in both games, and in Revelation, Garon gets eaten by the big bad dragon Anankos and gives him more power.

The EU versions on the eShop did Fates really weird. It gave you the first 6 chapters and then after the first 6, you would download the rest of the game you were playing. If you want to play Revelation, if it's not in the DLC found in freeShop, I would recommend looking into installing the Special Edition (can be found on that iso site). It contains all 3 paths and you'll still have access to the DLC stuff.
By cute girls I meant those two and Hana (Sakura's retainer). I'll look into that special edition, but yeah, it''s weird... Is there a region lock btw? I mean for online, as the friend I mentioned has US version. Is the save transferable between EU and US? Finally, can revelations be played first or do I have to beat the game once before picking that one?

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By cute girls I meant those two and Hana (Sakura's retainer). I'll look into that special edition, but yeah, it''s weird... Is there a region lock btw? I mean for online, as the friend I mentioned has US version. Is the save transferable between EU and US? Finally, can revelations be played first or do I have to beat the game once before picking that one?
Hana is cute. I do believe there is a region lock for online modes. The save should be transferrable between the versions. And yes, Revelation can be played first.

ThoD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hana is cute. I do believe there is a region lock for online modes. The save should be transferrable between the versions. And yes, Revelation can be played first.
Ok, thanks for all these clarifications! Gonna play Conquest first as I'm too lazy to get a different one, if I don't like it, I'll switch... I backup up my save from before the path selection and cloned it to slot 2, so I can try both main ones!:D If I got anything else to ask I'll post here.

Reactions: KunoichiZ

ThoD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
@KunoichiZ I didn't like how the story was going in Conquest and it lost me at chapter 8, so I got that special edition you mentioned and have been playing revelations... I did a dumb mistake because there are literally no in-game notes or guide on most of the important stuff and ended up promoting my main character to expert class at only level 12... Any way to demote characters? Also, is it possible to raise the amount of people you can recruit (from that building you get in the castle after a while and in general)? I've thought of the perfect layout for defensive battles, but I need 2 more units to pull it off...

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@KunoichiZ I didn't like how the story was going in Conquest and it lost me at chapter 8, so I got that special edition you mentioned and have been playing revelations... I did a dumb mistake because there are literally no in-game notes or guide on most of the important stuff and ended up promoting my main character to expert class at only level 12... Any way to demote characters? Also, is it possible to raise the amount of people you can recruit (from that building you get in the castle after a while and in general)? I've thought of the perfect layout for defensive battles, but I need 2 more units to pull it off...
There's no way to demote characters without using a save editor and I've never used it to demote classes. What building are you talking about?

ThoD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
There's no way to demote characters without using a save editor and I've never used it to demote classes. What building are you talking about?
Can't remember the name, the one where you hire troops from (like random archers and stuff and copies of your mains), has a weird name...

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, that shop with the unpronounceable name, lol:P There is a general limit in the number of troops/characters you can have, any way to raise that?
You should be able to raise the level of the shop by playing through the chapters.

ThoD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
You should be able to raise the level of the shop by playing through the chapters.
Not talking about the level, but about that 20 unit limit it has where you can't get more than that... I have a very solid strategy in mind for castle defense and I need 2 more units to make it foolproof (basically using almost all 20 as fodder with Freeze to keep enemy in place while picking them apart with ballista/fire orb/etc. or my mains).

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not talking about the level, but about that 20 unit limit it has where you can't get more than that... I have a very solid strategy in mind for castle defense and I need 2 more units to make it foolproof (basically using almost all 20 as fodder with Freeze to keep enemy in place while picking them apart with ballista/fire orb/etc. or my mains).
I don't think you can raise that.

ThoD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I don't think you can raise that.
Guess I'll have to make do with 20 then... Thing is, the only layout I like is one that has paths inside the walls and it takes more troops to safeguard successfully or you get flanked! Back to drawing board I guess... Thanks for the replies yet again!

Reactions: KunoichiZ

starburst

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
The plot might disappoint you regardless of the path you take, thus you should focus on the gameplay, and that is where Conquest excels at. Conquest Hard is more difficult than Birthright Lunatic, has unique fun maps and more interesting characters.

In the European version, you need to install the base game, just called 'Fire Emblem Fates', then add the DLC called 'Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright' (yeah, the naming is confusing) and you will have all three paths and all DLC maps.

ThoD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
The plot might disappoint you regardless of the path you take, thus you should focus on the gameplay, and that is where Conquest excels at. Conquest Hard is more difficult than Birthright Lunatic, has unique fun maps and more interesting characters.

In the European version, you need to install the base game, just called 'Fire Emblem Fates', then add the DLC called 'Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright' (yeah, the naming is confusing) and you will have all three paths and all DLC maps.
I already got the special edition containing all 3 paths. As for what I'm playing as, I went with Revelation just because it felt like a better outcome. I'm playing on Lunatic with Classic mode (where troops die forever) and have already beaten it. There's literally nothing worthy gameplay-wise to focus on. Mechanics are way crappier than other similar games (eg: there aren't even basic stuff like flanking your opponent for extra damage) and I beat it without grinding (and with a ton of mistakes like promoting units too early) in around 17 hours, so now I'm just farming characters online to make the most OP castle possible... But yeah, I only cared to play for the story, if I wanted quality gameplay, I wouldn't be playing FE on the DS, would I now?:P

ThoD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
n**** what? awakening has a plot? kekekeke
Awaking has no plot, no mechanics, no interesting characters and no fun:P It's easily one of the worst in the series, so while Fates doesn't really have good mechanics, it at least has plot and interesting characters, making it decent-good.

Btw, since this thread got bumped out of the blue, I'll ask some stuff...

1) I've seen people having a lot of (if not all) characters with the "Replicate" skill, but when I buy it, it doesn't show up... What's going on? It happens for other skills too at times.

2) I know you need to get your character to be a specific class to get it if you go the long way around, but with so many classes, I don't know how to do it for everyone. I could do it for some like Kenzo because it was very simple, but can someone post a detailed class tree showing from what class you can go to what?

3) I tried playing versus and visiting the castle of that friend I mentioned in the OP who has the game too, but I got an error. Turns out, she apparently used PowerSaves (because she still lives under a rock and doesn't know CFW is a think if you want to cheat) and it would seem she's gotten partially banned from online because of it... She can visit castles and send feedback/gifts, but can't play versus and people can't visit her castle. Is there any way to fix it? Would deleting the old save and starting over work for her?

4) I've finished all 3 paths now and have 3 save files, if I start over a new one and save in one of the slots that read "Extra Data", will it require to backup the extra data if I want to backup the save from those extra slots?

PS: Valla path is by far the best, you miss the goo Garon, but at least it's not entirely terrible:P However, that ending cutscene is SO damn cringey I felt like vomiting... "We swear to you", lol, who even speaks like that to their sister, let alone the king (queen since I played with a female character but oh well) of the strongest kingdom in the in-game world? And don't forget the weird and stupid reactions by the little sisters:rofl2:

Reactions: Chetti

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended