I want my External Hard Drive partially WBFS formatted...

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by john.jingle, Jun 3, 2009.

1. john.jingle
    OP

Member john.jingle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So is there a program that lets me format some parts of my Hard Drive instead of all of it? Can I convert it back to NTFS from WBFS and vice versa without affecting the things that I have already in my HD?

2. skedone

Member skedone GBAtemp Fan

United States
    you could use a program i use on Linux called gparted it has a LiveCD version two and use that to repartition the drive into 2 parts keeping your old part and adding a fat32 part

3. defix

Newcomer defix Newbie

Germany
    I had the same issue yesterday. Googled a bit for good freeware partitioning programs and came about "Easeus Partition Master". You can resize your existing partition with it. Then, create another partition (be sure to also make it a primary partition, not logical), format that with wbfs manager and you're good to go.

4. tobeychris

Newcomer tobeychris Member

Canada
    If you're on Vista, you can go to the disk management console and shrink the NTFS partition, and then format it to be used for WBFS.

5. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Also make sure your WBFS partition is the primary partition.
    Else you're Wii isn't going to recognize it.

6. bowser

Member bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

India
    I also wanted my external USB hard drive to be partially WBFS formatted. I just did it through disk management in Windows XP. There is no need for any special partitioning program.

Since it already had some data in it, I had to back it up to my PC. Then I formatted it and partitioned it into 2 NTFS partitions. Then I initialized the primary partition to WBFS and it works great!

7. Servdogg

Member Servdogg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    that works, but partition master lets you create partitions without backing up the data already on the device.

8. pnice

Newcomer pnice Member

United States
    I used acronis disk director to make a new partition on my external 500GB drive. It let me do it without doing anything with the other 340 used gigs that were on it. It is able to make a partition with the empty space so you don't have to back up.

9. lavamasta

Member lavamasta GBAtemp Regular

United States