I want my External Hard Drive partially WBFS formatted...

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by john.jingle, Jun 3, 2009.

1. john.jingle
    OP

john.jingle GBAtemp Regular

Jan 24, 2008
    United States
    So is there a program that lets me format some parts of my Hard Drive instead of all of it? Can I convert it back to NTFS from WBFS and vice versa without affecting the things that I have already in my HD?

2. skedone

skedone GBAtemp Fan

May 2, 2008
    United States
    you could use a program i use on Linux called gparted it has a LiveCD version two and use that to repartition the drive into 2 parts keeping your old part and adding a fat32 part

3. defix

defix Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2007
    Gambia, The
    I had the same issue yesterday. Googled a bit for good freeware partitioning programs and came about "Easeus Partition Master". You can resize your existing partition with it. Then, create another partition (be sure to also make it a primary partition, not logical), format that with wbfs manager and you're good to go.

4. tobeychris

tobeychris Member

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2009
    Canada
    If you're on Vista, you can go to the disk management console and shrink the NTFS partition, and then format it to be used for WBFS.

5. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    Also make sure your WBFS partition is the primary partition.
    Else you're Wii isn't going to recognize it.

6. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    I also wanted my external USB hard drive to be partially WBFS formatted. I just did it through disk management in Windows XP. There is no need for any special partitioning program.

Since it already had some data in it, I had to back it up to my PC. Then I formatted it and partitioned it into 2 NTFS partitions. Then I initialized the primary partition to WBFS and it works great!

7. Servdogg

Servdogg GBAtemp Regular

Apr 13, 2009
    United States
    that works, but partition master lets you create partitions without backing up the data already on the device.

8. pnice

pnice Member

Newcomer
    Sep 23, 2005
    United States
    I used acronis disk director to make a new partition on my external 500GB drive. It let me do it without doing anything with the other 340 used gigs that were on it. It is able to make a partition with the empty space so you don't have to back up.

9. lavamasta

lavamasta GBAtemp Regular

Feb 21, 2009
    United States