I want a laptop. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Anakir, Sep 25, 2008.

Sep 25, 2008

I want a laptop. Suggestions? by Anakir at 9:03 PM (2,190 Views / 0 Likes) 26 replies

1. Anakir
    OP

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    Like title says. I want a small, COMFY, and portable laptop. And by portable.. I mean the ones that don't weight like 10lbs with batteries.

I've been looking at the ASUS EeePC 901 and I like it so far, but I don't know how it handles in terms of applications.

I don't need a ton of memory because it's the purpose of taking notes and basically browsing the web. I might game on it once in a while, but none of those heavy games like Doom 3. It's more like emulations.. like psx emulator, n64, etc.

So my main focus: emulation, notetaking (photoshop + microsoft word), browsing the internet, music, and probably videos from time to time.

It has 20gb hard drive space.. enough I guess. 1gb ram, I would probably prefer it to have 2gb. Am I able to add on an extra 1gb? Weights 2.5lbs and has a battery life up to 8 hours on a very strict criteria (40% lcd brightness, no wifi, no BT) (what is BT anyways? bluetooth? lol)

The only dislike I have is the keyboard size.. it's small. But what can I ask for? It's portable, so gotta make some sacrifices. Are there any USB port keyboards out there that are really good? I'd love to purchase one just for the eeepc.

I love a lot of the features it has so far, but are there laptops that may be better? It can be bigger obviously, but I don't want the battery to die out on me so quickly.

Thanks for reading.

Edit: Question. Kind of a nubbie question but gotta ask in case I regret this. Am I able to remove the battery for the eeepc 901 and use the adapter instead for power? I don't want to shorten my battery's life span so quickly.

2. laminaatplaat

Member laminaatplaat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You could take a look at the MSI Wind (if they got it in 6cells version) that is a lot like the eee 901, I think its it biggest contender. Ahtec LUG N011, Medion Akoya mini and Advent 4211 are all clones of the MSI Wind and from what I read made in the same factorys as the Wind [​IMG]

Good luck on this new laptop market ;-)

3. Anakir
    OP

Canada
    Awesome. Thanks for the input!

I'm looking at the MSI Wind U100 at the moment. It says "Battery Pack & Life: Li-Ion 3/6 cells". What does that mean in terms of time? lol. And "System Memory: 512MB/1GB (DDR2 667)" does that mean I can add in an extra 1gb to make it 2gb ram?

Edit: Nvm, found out. I still can upgrade to 2gb ram and also 3 cell battery is approximately 2.5 hours and 6 cells is 4.5-6 hours. Correct?

4. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    i think the asus can be massively modded with like extra ram, bigger harddrive, and xp, so its actually usable.

5. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    It means it can come with either 512MB or 1GB depending on which particular model you purchase.

It can handle a max of 2GB of RAM, but only has a single slot.

6. Anakir
    OP

Canada
    Thanks again.

So.. I just found out there's one more that's out there in the category of a

7. seedvt

Member seedvt GBAtemp Regular

Canada
  8. tKo HaXoR

Member tKo HaXoR GBAtemp Fan

United States
    mac book? To expensive right.. well worth it though.

9. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    Don't start a flame war; the fanboys are sensitive.

I'm also going to be looking into getting another laptop, but this one'll be for my wife and her schooling. Originally I was going to give her my Macbook Pro and I would get a new top-of-the-line one, but she really doesn't need that kind of power so I am leaning towards an Asus eeePC 901 or a Dell Inspiron Mini 9. Moreso towards the dell because it has a slightly bigger screen, and I get a discount + lifetime warranty through my work.

10. jpxdude

Member jpxdude GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    +1

I actually have an Asus EEE 900, and my Father in law has the MSI Wind. The Wind is a fantastic machine, both ram and hard drive can be easily upgraded, plus the display on the MSI is LED lit, and puts the Asus to shame. Aesthetically the MSI is nicer to boot.

11. Anakir
    OP

Canada
    I think I've decided on buying a Wind U100. I found a Wind U100 in craigslist for $490, not opened, no tax and still has 1 year warranty.

The only thing that bugs me is that it has a 3 cells battery. I want 6 cells for more battery life.
    http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/sys/843494640.html

And I just found out the difference between SDD and HDD. I think I'd prefer SDD but it's quite pricey for so little memory at the moment.. so I'll settle with the speed of an HDD. At least it has more memory in comparison when price comes to mind.

Think it's a good deal?

12. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    But that's comparing apples to oranges. If you look at the 10" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834220431 you'll notice that you can just take off a back door instead of having to take off the entire back piece a la Wind.

Anakir, try to find an eeepc 1000h. 160gb HD, 1GB RAM, 5 hours battery life, 479$

13. MR_COW

Member MR_COW GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If looking for a real laptop, I say wait until Black Friday. You can save 200-300 dollars then.

I got a core 2 1.6, 2GB ram, 160HD Lenovo last year for 600 bucks. Might not seem like a huge deal now, but it was then.

14. Anakir
    OP

Canada
    Yeah. That actually does look pretty good. The only thing though is I live in Canada. US currency is higher than Canadian. Do they charge tax as well for these stuff? 'cause the tax in Ontario is insanely high. 13% tax. :\

15. santorix10

Member santorix10 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Acer Aspire One, or an old lappie you can get for free...

16. Anakir
    OP

Canada
    Acer Aspire One's too small. I need a decent size so my hands don't get cramps from typing on such a small keyboard. It's only avilable in 8.9" isn't it?

17. Anakir
    OP

Canada
    Sorry to bump and double post but just got one last question.

How do I know what kind of memory is compatible with the 1000H? I bought a 1000H because I found a connection where I can get it for even cheaper.. so anyways. How do I know it's compatible? I want a good 2gb ram.

I get confused when I see all these DDR2 and DDR3 things.

18. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
  19. laminaatplaat

Member laminaatplaat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
  20. Anakir
    OP

Canada
    Thanks for the help guys.

Just a final quick question.

Is there any difference between these two? (basically, one's more expensive and takes time to ship while the other one is available in store and I can pick it up right away. Just making sure I'm not getting ripped off or anything though.)

This is the one I can get from store: http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=Sh...cid=RAM.187.566

And this is the newegg's memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820211187

They're both A-Data brand. 2gb with 200-pin. DDR 667 (PC2 5300) (whatever that means lol). But the one from CanadaComputers mention "2GB Module Unbuffer Non-ECC Memory". So I gotta make sure that I'm not purchasing something that's gonna be crap for my notebook. So, is there any difference?