Gaming I want a laptop. Suggestions?

Anakir

Project: Melee
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like title says. I want a small, COMFY, and portable laptop. And by portable.. I mean the ones that don't weight like 10lbs with batteries.

I've been looking at the ASUS EeePC 901 and I like it so far, but I don't know how it handles in terms of applications.

I don't need a ton of memory because it's the purpose of taking notes and basically browsing the web. I might game on it once in a while, but none of those heavy games like Doom 3. It's more like emulations.. like psx emulator, n64, etc.

So my main focus: emulation, notetaking (photoshop + microsoft word), browsing the internet, music, and probably videos from time to time.

It has 20gb hard drive space.. enough I guess. 1gb ram, I would probably prefer it to have 2gb. Am I able to add on an extra 1gb? Weights 2.5lbs and has a battery life up to 8 hours on a very strict criteria (40% lcd brightness, no wifi, no BT) (what is BT anyways? bluetooth? lol)

The only dislike I have is the keyboard size.. it's small. But what can I ask for? It's portable, so gotta make some sacrifices. Are there any USB port keyboards out there that are really good? I'd love to purchase one just for the eeepc.

I love a lot of the features it has so far, but are there laptops that may be better? It can be bigger obviously, but I don't want the battery to die out on me so quickly.

Thanks for reading.

Edit: Question. Kind of a nubbie question but gotta ask in case I regret this. Am I able to remove the battery for the eeepc 901 and use the adapter instead for power? I don't want to shorten my battery's life span so quickly.

laminaatplaat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You could take a look at the MSI Wind (if they got it in 6cells version) that is a lot like the eee 901, I think its it biggest contender. Ahtec LUG N011, Medion Akoya mini and Advent 4211 are all clones of the MSI Wind and from what I read made in the same factorys as the Wind
tongue.gif

Good luck on this new laptop market ;-)

Anakir

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome. Thanks for the input!

I'm looking at the MSI Wind U100 at the moment. It says "Battery Pack & Life: Li-Ion 3/6 cells". What does that mean in terms of time? lol. And "System Memory: 512MB/1GB (DDR2 667)" does that mean I can add in an extra 1gb to make it 2gb ram?

Edit: Nvm, found out. I still can upgrade to 2gb ram and also 3 cell battery is approximately 2.5 hours and 6 cells is 4.5-6 hours. Correct?

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
da_head said:
i think the asus can be massively modded with like extra ram, bigger harddrive, and xp, so its actually usable.
I'm sure your completely ignorant and baseless statement will be appreciated.

The fact that both are usable ootb aside, the RAM is easily upgarded in either. Also contrary to your statement, the EeePC's ssd is not easily replaceable, while the Wind's hdd is.

QUOTEAnd "System Memory: 512MB/1GB (DDR2 667)" does that mean I can add in an extra 1gb to make it 2gb ram?
It means it can come with either 512MB or 1GB depending on which particular model you purchase.

It can handle a max of 2GB of RAM, but only has a single slot.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
Shiro786 said:
tKo HaXoR said:
mac book? To expensive right.. well worth it though.

No man, didn't you read the opening post? He doesn't want shitty laptops.

I'd go for the Asus. It's an amazing laptop, so easy to OC too, if you wanted to do some perfecto N64 emulation or something.

Don't start a flame war; the fanboys are sensitive.

I'm also going to be looking into getting another laptop, but this one'll be for my wife and her schooling. Originally I was going to give her my Macbook Pro and I would get a new top-of-the-line one, but she really doesn't need that kind of power so I am leaning towards an Asus eeePC 901 or a Dell Inspiron Mini 9. Moreso towards the dell because it has a slightly bigger screen, and I get a discount + lifetime warranty through my work.

jpxdude

Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
laminaatplaat said:
You could take a look at the MSI Wind (if they got it in 6cells version) that is a lot like the eee 901, I think its it biggest contender. Ahtec LUG N011, Medion Akoya mini and Advent 4211 are all clones of the MSI Wind and from what I read made in the same factorys as the Wind
tongue.gif

Good luck on this new laptop market ;-)

+1

I actually have an Asus EEE 900, and my Father in law has the MSI Wind. The Wind is a fantastic machine, both ram and hard drive can be easily upgraded, plus the display on the MSI is LED lit, and puts the Asus to shame. Aesthetically the MSI is nicer to boot.

Anakir

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I've decided on buying a Wind U100. I found a Wind U100 in craigslist for $490, not opened, no tax and still has 1 year warranty.

The only thing that bugs me is that it has a 3 cells battery. I want 6 cells for more battery life.
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/sys/843494640.html

And I just found out the difference between SDD and HDD. I think I'd prefer SDD but it's quite pricey for so little memory at the moment.. so I'll settle with the speed of an HDD. At least it has more memory in comparison when price comes to mind.

Think it's a good deal?

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
da_head said:
i think the asus can be massively modded with like extra ram, bigger harddrive, and xp, so its actually usable.
I'm sure your completely ignorant and baseless statement will be appreciated.

The fact that both are usable ootb aside, the RAM is easily upgarded in either. Also contrary to your statement, the EeePC's ssd is not easily replaceable, while the Wind's hdd is.
But that's comparing apples to oranges. If you look at the 10" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834220431 you'll notice that you can just take off a back door instead of having to take off the entire back piece a la Wind.

Anakir, try to find an eeepc 1000h. 160gb HD, 1GB RAM, 5 hours battery life, 479$

MR_COW

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If looking for a real laptop, I say wait until Black Friday. You can save 200-300 dollars then.

I got a core 2 1.6, 2GB ram, 160HD Lenovo last year for 600 bucks. Might not seem like a huge deal now, but it was then.

Anakir

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
Anakir, try to find an eeepc 1000h. 160gb HD, 1GB RAM, 5 hours battery life, 479$

Yeah. That actually does look pretty good. The only thing though is I live in Canada. US currency is higher than Canadian. Do they charge tax as well for these stuff? 'cause the tax in Ontario is insanely high. 13% tax. :\

Anakir

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Acer Aspire One's too small. I need a decent size so my hands don't get cramps from typing on such a small keyboard. It's only avilable in 8.9" isn't it?

Anakir

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to bump and double post but just got one last question.

How do I know what kind of memory is compatible with the 1000H? I bought a 1000H because I found a connection where I can get it for even cheaper.. so anyways. How do I know it's compatible? I want a good 2gb ram.

I get confused when I see all these DDR2 and DDR3 things.

Anakir

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the help guys.

Just a final quick question.

Is there any difference between these two? (basically, one's more expensive and takes time to ship while the other one is available in store and I can pick it up right away. Just making sure I'm not getting ripped off or anything though.)

This is the one I can get from store: http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=Sh...cid=RAM.187.566

And this is the newegg's memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820211187

They're both A-Data brand. 2gb with 200-pin. DDR 667 (PC2 5300) (whatever that means lol). But the one from CanadaComputers mention "2GB Module Unbuffer Non-ECC Memory". So I gotta make sure that I'm not purchasing something that's gonna be crap for my notebook. So, is there any difference?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool