I want a card for both my DS and GBA SP

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by KrAzY3, Apr 17, 2007.

Apr 17, 2007
  1. KrAzY3
    OP

Newcomer KrAzY3 Member

United States
    I already have a R4 but I'd like to be able to play GBA games on my DS. Besides that, my wife and I are fighting over my DS a bit so having a ton of GBA games that can be played on my SP is a good idea... I've been looking around, reading up and so on. I'm trying to balance all the factors, I'd like something cheap, but I want it to be compatible with as many games as possible. I don't want it sticking out of my DS but I'd like it to work on my SP, so on so forth.

Basically I need help making my mind up on what my best alternative/alternatives are.

Here's what I've been able to round up info on. Any additional info or suggestions are welcome, I need help deciding and well... figuring all this out to be honest.

1: 3 in 1 expansion pack
    I like the idea of what this could potentially do. More ram, rumble supported and play GBA games. From what I understand though, the ram is only usefull for the browser, the rumble function isn't supported and it only holds one game and getting that there is a pain in the ass. Still, for just over 20 bucks it does sound like a cool little device...

2: EZ-Flash IV mini-SD
    I can get this and a 2GB mini-SD card for around 60 bucks. It seems pretty economic. However, it would stick out of my DS and I'm not sure how this compares to other cards in terms of functionality.

3: M3 Lite Pro, M3 MicroSD Lite Professional
    This one really confuses me, since it would appear there's a M3 Lite comes with casing to fit the GBA and there's one that doesn't, or something like that. I've seen quotes that said it doesn't work on the GBA yet the standard info says this: "A GBA Shell, Converts your M3 Lite / M3 Lite Pro into a standard GBA sized cart to be used in a DS Lite, NDS, GBA Micro & GBA SP". So yeah, I'm really confused.

Basically though, I'm trying to find the best balance. I'd like if possible to have a card that is compatible with the most GBA games, works with both my DS Lite (without sticking out) and GBA, holds a ton of games and doesn't cost too much. It seems that the G6 comes close to doing everything I want but for the same amount of money I could hold a lot more on a EZ-Flash IV and have a 3 in 1 expansion pack for my DS.

Anyway, any info suggestions or what not is welcome. I'm still trying to figure out what's what...

2. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    note,
    the expansion pack only fits into nds.
    ez4 has a limit of 80 files per folder, so with a 2gb microsd you might breach that limit and experience problems.
    2gb microsd cards are generally not as fast as the 1gb cards, so you may experience slowdown in a few nds games, althouhg gba games will not be affected.

3. xalphax

Member xalphax Internet killed the Ponystar.

Croatia
    ive settled with the g6 lite

it has (almost) perfect compatibility for both, the ds and gba

fits flush in the nds and can be used with gba/gba sp/gameboy micro

just perfect for my wants

4. miniCooperS

Member miniCooperS Advanced Member

United States
    I had the same issue Krazy did. Here's what I ended up doing and it has worked out very well.

I have a DSLite with an M3Simply for the majority of my ds games. I also have a G6lite for a couple DS games (Castlevania PoR I heard crashed a lot on R4/M3 so I left it on the G6) and a ton of GBA games. I frequently switch out the dslite case for the normal gba case when i want to play it on the GBA SP. I also have an old 512 MB Xrom flash card that I occasionally use (it ran all the Final Fantasys full speed for example).

And lastly, I bought my wife a DSLite of her own. A pink one. With an M3Simply of her own. Now she *never* tries to borrow mine. =)

Lots of words I know. My recommendation, stick with the G6 or even an old style GBA flash cart instead of the EZ team stuff. But that is just my opinion.

5. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    Nothing much wrong with EZ team stuff, in fact i use EZ4.

I'd say that they're the best value for money in the slot2 cart scene.

6. KrAzY3
    OP

Newcomer KrAzY3 Member

United States
    I hear a lot about certain games running better on certain flash cards, so on so forth but I haven't found out a lot of specifics as of yet. Let's ay I did decide to buy a EZ4, what problems might I experience with GBA games? Slowdown? Certain games not playing? To be honest right now I'm leaning towards a EZ4 to mainly use in my SP and may be a 3 in 1 to leave in my DS. I'd like a G6, but I think it is a bit more than what I'm willing to pay. However, saving a few bucks isn't worth it if I'm going to run into a lot of problems..