• Poll closed .

HomebrewMusicAddict

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i wanna be a homebrew dev but im on android. anyone got any tools i can use to start coding my apps? (btw i made a port of the hackmii installer to hbc literallgy by getting the boot.elf and making the other files lmao not making it public tho)

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For homebrew development you need devkitPro. Theoretically you might be able to compile it for Android and run it from a terminal emulator, but it will be very difficult and I doubt it would make for a good development environment. Definitely not something you want to try without a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, or OTG adapter. I doubt it's possible, but you're not the first person to ask about it either.

HomebrewMusicAddict

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ok. im not the best a t coding (i can just about code bad stuff in javascript (i borrowed a computer) thanks anyway =)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i mean, im suprised that someone ported wiiload to android tbh, nobody cares about android nowadays

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Assuming you don't want to go in for python or lua (both of which you could probably code on the wii itself if you install wii linux or some kind of text editor on it) then yeah devkitpro (or at least the devkitppc part of it) will be in your future. I would be shocked if there is any kind of android port of it (it is surprising when android gets a decent emulator, never mind a dev kit) and nobody is likely to put the effort (and it would be effort) in either.

Just about any PC still running today will be able to act as a compiler.

If you can type you can type in a text editor (might even find a nice one with coding support) and kick that to a remote machine to compile before dragging it back to fire back to the wii. Don't know what you can rent for not a lot (if you can ssh into the server and install something then you can use it for this, might even be able to get a little Docker container server going on and they give those away for next to nothing).

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
If you seriously want to get into any kind of programming or dev then you'd need to buy a desktop computer and a monitor. They are often cheaper than a laptop or even a smartphone. Smartphones are trash unless you want to spend all your life playing games instead of making them. Save your money.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.