Homebrew I updated my Luma CFW 3ds to the latest firmware and now it's bricked. Help?

Speedwagon03

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just get an error that says "An exception occurred" with stuff about the Arm11 cpu. I thought it was safe to update? Is there any way to recover my 3ds?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just get an error that says "An exception occurred" with stuff about the Arm11 cpu. I thought it was safe to update? Is there any way to recover my 3ds?
How many of these are we gonna get in the next few weeks/months? Reminds me of the infamous "Failed to apply 1 FIRM patch(es)" which has caused uncounted cries for help for what feels like an eternity.

Please read/search before updating official firmware next time. If there are any known problems you should find them.

This problem is easily solved by providing latest Luma3DS (boot.firm)
https://github.com/LumaTeam/Luma3DS/releases/

Don't forget to update the copy on CTRNAND as well.
https://3ds.hacks.guide/finalizing-setup#section-vi---ctrnand-luma3ds

Not a big problem, not (really) a brick but an incompatibility.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://github.com/KunoichiZ/lumaupdate/releases

I suggest you download the luma updater. it won't do you any good here, since you've already updated, but it might be helpful in the future. that's how I updated my luma, but I was already aware that luma needed to be updated, so I updated luma before updating the system. it will do ctrNAND as well and the homebrew browser 3dsx file.

Reactions: peteruk

alftheelf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How many of these are we gonna get in the next few weeks/months? Reminds me of the infamous "Failed to apply 1 FIRM patch(es)" which has caused uncounted cries for help for what feels like an eternity.

Please read/search before updating official firmware next time. If there are any known problems you should find them.

This problem is easily solved by providing latest Luma3DS (boot.firm)

Don't forget to update the copy on CTRNAND as well.

Not a big problem, not (really) a brick but an incompatibility.

Good luck and have fun!

I didn't copy boot.3dsx file, I only did the boot.firm is that correct? I'm also confused on the CTRNAND part, do we have to follow the instructions in section vi? I wasn't prompted for step 3 and step 4, but then pressing 'home' didn't bring up the action menu, and nothing I had looked the same as the post. I pressed 'start' to save, and my 2ds booted up ok. Has it worked?, or is the CTRNAND important for some other reason?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
boot.3dsx is for the homebrew launcher. you have to tie that to rosalina and an app you don't use like download play.

alftheelf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
boot.3dsx is for the homebrew launcher. you have to tie that to rosalina and an app you don't use like download play.

Ok, so do I need to reconfigure that too if I did a system update or do I leave it as it is? Everything seems to be working now. I had the exact same issue as OP. I did a system update, and got 'An exception occurred', and couldn't get past that screen. Now I have changed the boot.firm file to the current version, and everything seems to work.

I haven't done anything regarding CTRNAND, or anything regarding homebrew launcher/boot3dsx.

Is that fine to leave as it is? Or do I need to reconfigure anything else?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's fine, just won't be able to access the homebrew launcher. games and everything will still work without it.

alftheelf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
it's fine, just won't be able to access the homebrew launcher. games and everything will still work without it.

I can open homebrew launcher, I looks to be working. If I copy over the new boot.3dsx, is that all I need to do? I surely don't have to link it to the app (I believe mine is Nintendo 3DS sound) if it's already linked with Rosalina and such?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tbh, I don't remember, but it's easy enough to link. I know that when I put the luma for ntr, I had to redo rosalina, but luma normal to luma normal - probably not.

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
tbh, I don't remember, but it's easy enough to link. I know that when I put the luma for ntr, I had to redo rosalina, but luma normal to luma normal - probably not.
In a bit of cases, Rosalina settings get unconfigured with a Luma update. Then, if that happens, you must do again the steps to assign/inject HBL to any system app through Rosalina Menu. Or, alternatively, better download and install the HBL dummy wrapper (to open HBL directly from it).

Anyway, there's not difficult to (re)do that!

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In a bit of cases, Rosalina settings get unconfigured with a Luma update. Then, if that happens, you must do again the steps to assign/inject HBL to any system app through Rosalina Menu. Or, alternatively, better download and install the HBL dummy wrapper (to open HBL directly from it).

Anyway, there's not difficult to (re)do that!

I don't believe I had to do it when I used the updater from updating from previous official firmware to the latest. I have seen some times where it would get messed up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person