i thought it was cia but it was a xorpads. what are xorpads?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by humgum, Oct 10, 2015.

1. humgum
    OP

humgum GBAtemp Regular

Feb 14, 2015
    downloaded a 3ds game and i thought that was cia but it was xorpads
    can't find the cia format of the game that i want to play so i'm planning to convert this if possible
    can i convert xorpads to cia? and what are xorpads anyway?

2. LITTOMA

LITTOMA Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2014
    Switzerland
    Xorpad doesn't contain game resource, it just some ... pad.

3. Voxel

Voxel Fable Junkie

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    Xorpads are generated through the 3ds, and are needed for the decryption of .3DS files on the PC. You don't tend to associate them with a .CIA file because 1. you can't use them at all with .CIA files. And 2. CIA files tend to be already decrypted. You do use them, like I said, for the decryption of .3DS files, which then converts them into CIA format, ready to be imported through Dev Menu. Xorpads, in a nutshell, are ROM-decryption material.

Wow. That helps.

4. xdarkmario

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    im still very new to this whole xorpad thing. ive only just successfully converted my first .3ds file to cia thanks to my n3ds being able to run RXtools now!:toot:

but from what i gather is the old type of xorpads are a 1:1 copy of the game, 100% of the encrypted content (game content included) but you cant play a xorpad. these old type xorpads are the same size of the game and are a pain to deal with but the new type of xorpads there around 5mb total. this method extracts only the necessary information from the rom and saves it as a xorpad for decrypting a rom.

in short Xorpads are solely for decrypting, editing/modding, rebuilding and converting excising .3ds (executable) roms to .cia (installable)

5. LITTOMA

LITTOMA Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2014
    Switzerland
    Google "exclusive-or encryption", you will know the usage of xorpads.

In fact, no.