I think my Wii's internal flash memory is about to corrupt again

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Shinigami Kiba, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Shinigami Kiba
    OP

Shinigami Kiba GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 28, 2007
    Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
    My Wii is prone to corrupting, a format of the internal memory always solves the problem, last time it happened was around January, I had HBC and everything installed, I formatted and had no problems reinstalling everything after that, in fact I'm not sure if it deleted HBC too but I think it did, I honestly can't remember.

However, I keep reading here that using the format option in the Wii itself is for some reason a bad idea, so I wonder, was I just lucky last time and is there a chance my Wii is going to brick or something next time I do this?

I know it's going to corrupt again because I deleted a save file that took up one block and a block wasn't freed up, after that I deleted more save files and blocks were freed up, I installed some wads to test it and then uninstalled them and all was fine, but that ONE file which didn't free up a block after being deleted tells me it may happen again.

So, if it does happen, what are the risks of my Wii messing up big time if I use the format option? Again, I've never had a problem with it before.

I'm on 3.2E and have WiiKey 1.9s

2. Shinigami Kiba
    OP

Oct 28, 2007
    Today I decided to test this again, some saves when deleted free up a block and some don't.
    I assume that either my internal flash memory IS corrupted or some game saves take up less than 1 block, maybe 0.5 blocks but the Wii displays it as 1 anyways.

Last time it corrupted deleting entire channels wouldn't free up space, but I first noticed it when it wouldn't free up space after I'd delete small game saves like this.

3. Valgreen

Valgreen GBAtemp Regular

Nov 22, 2008
    Canada
    i dont think your internal flash mem is getting "corrupted" .in terms of "free blocks" i believe this is just an estimation.. i.e. numbers are either rounded up or down...your save file could possibly be 1/4 of a block, so deleting it would not give you 1 block free.... this mem convention ninty implemented doesnt give a true representation of total free space as it uses an arbitrary size convention...

i may be wrong but this is how ive come to understand it...

4. Shinigami Kiba
    OP

Oct 28, 2007
    lets hope that's the case, cause last time it corrupted I had to reformat and that for me, fortunately ended well but I hear people having problems after doing it.
    I mean then I'd delete stuff that takes up 200+ blocks and it wouldn't free up space, it was bad lol

5. Valgreen

Valgreen GBAtemp Regular

Nov 22, 2008
    Canada
    hmm strange.. not to sure then if thats the case..