I think my Wii's internal flash memory is about to corrupt again

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Shinigami Kiba, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Shinigami Kiba
    OP

Member Shinigami Kiba GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
    My Wii is prone to corrupting, a format of the internal memory always solves the problem, last time it happened was around January, I had HBC and everything installed, I formatted and had no problems reinstalling everything after that, in fact I'm not sure if it deleted HBC too but I think it did, I honestly can't remember.

However, I keep reading here that using the format option in the Wii itself is for some reason a bad idea, so I wonder, was I just lucky last time and is there a chance my Wii is going to brick or something next time I do this?

I know it's going to corrupt again because I deleted a save file that took up one block and a block wasn't freed up, after that I deleted more save files and blocks were freed up, I installed some wads to test it and then uninstalled them and all was fine, but that ONE file which didn't free up a block after being deleted tells me it may happen again.

So, if it does happen, what are the risks of my Wii messing up big time if I use the format option? Again, I've never had a problem with it before.

I'm on 3.2E and have WiiKey 1.9s

2. Shinigami Kiba
    OP

Today I decided to test this again, some saves when deleted free up a block and some don't.
    I assume that either my internal flash memory IS corrupted or some game saves take up less than 1 block, maybe 0.5 blocks but the Wii displays it as 1 anyways.

Last time it corrupted deleting entire channels wouldn't free up space, but I first noticed it when it wouldn't free up space after I'd delete small game saves like this.

3. Valgreen

Member Valgreen GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    i dont think your internal flash mem is getting "corrupted" .in terms of "free blocks" i believe this is just an estimation.. i.e. numbers are either rounded up or down...your save file could possibly be 1/4 of a block, so deleting it would not give you 1 block free.... this mem convention ninty implemented doesnt give a true representation of total free space as it uses an arbitrary size convention...

i may be wrong but this is how ive come to understand it...

4. Shinigami Kiba
    OP

lets hope that's the case, cause last time it corrupted I had to reformat and that for me, fortunately ended well but I hear people having problems after doing it.
    I mean then I'd delete stuff that takes up 200+ blocks and it wouldn't free up space, it was bad lol

5. Valgreen

Member Valgreen GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    hmm strange.. not to sure then if thats the case..