Hacking I think my son's ds is dying?

jessicarabbit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He's had it about a year and a half. Suddenly it is freezing up during games-not any certain games, but several. Mostly when he's playing with or against someone else but also when he plays alone. We've tried the cart in my ds and so far it is not freezing up so I don't think it's the cart (R4) or MSD card. I let the battery completely discharge and then charged it (someone said to try this-they said you can get a bad charge?) and it is still freezing up. Has this happened to anyone? If it keeps up I will probably just get him a new one rather than spend the $$ to get this one fixed. He has dropped it in the past but for the past 2 or 3 mos he's had a nerf cover on it. Could that have caused it and had a delayed reaction? Is there anything else I can try?

eta: I forgot to mention this-we tried a whole new R4 (I had a spare), the firmware is the most recent, and I tried formatting the sd card. I did not put new roms on it-I just copied his entire sd card into a folder on my pc and then copied it back onto the formatted card. My other two kids use the same roms and have had no problems. The R4 cards are not clones. The sd cards are kingston 2 gb.

jessicarabbit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here are the games that are freezing up. These are pretty much the only games he plays right now.

Pokemon Diamond
Pokemon Pearl
Pokemon Dash
Mario Kart
New Super Mario Brothers

These same games are not freezing up for my other two (one only plays the pokemon games though).

I don't have any place to get DSTT or any other card. I have to order them online. Since the R4 is working fine in my DS I am inclined to think it's his DS. He is 9 yrs old but he's pretty responsible with his ds but like I said, he has dropped it from time to time. For now I'll have him keep using mine and see if it continues to not freeze up. Right now he is using his and said it only froze up so far (after discharging and recharging the battery) when he played against his sister and he was 'wiggling around a lot'.

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well since you said he dropped it time to time, It could be his DS.

Maybe something in the DS causes it to freeze during gameplay.

Or maybe your son shakes his DS to hard and it will also cause in freezing

OR, He hits his DS when he looses or something,

Those are just my options.

Btw, what mother supports piracy for their son(s)? Just saying.

dewback

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds like the DS could be the problem. Might be the contacts for the card inside the DS for the cart.
Have you had any issue with other carts other then the R4?

jessicarabbit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I switched out the memory card and formatted it so I think it's ok. He does tend to get mad when he's playing so it's very possible he could have been a little rough with it. He hasn't had a problem with any other carts but he doesn't usually play them. I'll have him try those. Thanks everyone!
smile.gif

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It sounds like it could be the contact between the DS and the card. Try cleaning the contacts a bit, and putting a small wedge of paper behind the card to hold it firmly onto the contacts

Sticks

Trophies
XP
Country
Take a look into slot-1 with the cart out, check the pins. If some are slightly bent or off center, then that's your problem - the pins slide off their respective contacts while playing. You'll need to buy a new DS if it keeps freezing.

Tormendo

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have the same time with my ds. I have clean the contacts ot the ds and it works.
The only thing: By me it's alos freezed in the Card Menu

jessicarabbit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I looked inside and it looks like all the pins are fine. But it looks kinda gunky in there. Not sure why because he always has a cart in it. I'll try the paper next. How do I clean the contacts? Do I use any kind of solution or just a dry q-tip (didn't fit well and didn't want to force it) or maybe cotton on a toothpick..? He just used mine all day today and it never did freeze up, but he had no luck at all getting his sisters to play wireless with him.

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try a really soft toothbrush.

If you can't find a soft one, then just LIGHTLY scrape out the gunk, with a regular one.

Don't scratch the contacts.

EDIT: OH WHOOPS! You're talking about the contacts IN the DS. I thought you were talking about the contacts on the DS game card.

Shardnax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
"Btw, what mother supports piracy for their son(s)? Just saying."
The awesome kind. Why wouldn't she want to save herself/her child money and avoid buying a bunch of DS games?

Anyways, doesn't Nintendo have some base service charge for repairing products past their warranty?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi +1