Hacking I think my PSP unhacked itself... Need help ASAP!

supashaka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys... I have a PSP 1000 (says PSP 1003 on the serial). A few years ago I got my PSP hacked by someone I knew and they used a Pandora's Box to do so. He downloaded dissidia cso file for me at the time and I played it and everything worked fine.

I took my PSP out today after quite a few years and I turned it on and I couldn't find the dissidia file when I put the memory stick in. It is still in the same location (in an iso folder) . I used to go to 'game' menu, then memory stick, and I would see the game there but it's not there any more.

I checked to see if I can go to recovery mode when turning on the PSP (holding the R shoulder button) but that doesn't work - nothing happens and it just goes to the home screen. This leads me to think that my PSP unhacked itself :S I don't know if that is possible though.

Also, I didn't check at the time I originally got my PSP hacked, but when I check the system software version now it just says: "System Software: Version 6.39". So I think that my PSP has reverted back to being unhacked and I want to hack it again.

Do I need to completely re-hack my psp from step 1 or can I skip any of the steps? Has my PSP actually unhacked itself, and if so how could it have happened? Do I actually need to buy a Pandora's Box myself and go through the whole process again to hack my PSP? (I'm not in contact with the guy I got it hacked from originally).

A speedy response would be very much appreciated by anyone who can help!

Thanks guys :)

supashaka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I am unaware of a situation that would cause your psp to unhack itself. Tell me was it permanently hacked, of temporarily hacked? ANd do me a favor, get rid of that awful color, hurts my eyes.

I don't know if it is a permanent hack but I think I remember him saying that he can revert it back to normal.... how can i be sure if its a permanent or temporary hack?

Just update your psp to 6.60 and use a custom
firmware installer such as pro-b.

Are you saying my psp is definitely no longer hacked? How do I update to 6.60 and will this be better than a pandora hack?

Isaac

American
Trophies
Here? Right here? What about, say... over there?
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if it is a permanent hack but I think I remember him saying that he can revert it back to normal.... how can i be sure if its a permanent or temporary hack?

Are you saying my psp is definitely no longer hacked? How do I update to 6.60 and will this be better than a pandora hack?

Did you have run a piece of software from your memory stick to hack it each time you played it?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like you had a temp hack on, it gets unhacked when the PSP is shut down fully and restarted.

Pandora is just a method to get a CFW on there, but it's not needed anymore with modern CFWs.

Follow the instructions in the sticky to update to 6.60 and install the perm patch (yours is a 1000 so it can take it).
http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-softmod-hack-your-psp.293978/

supashaka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks Rydian. So I checked your link and got to the step: 'If you are currently on an older CUSTOM/HACKED firmware...' Which I figured I had to do because I want to make sure I install a clean original firmware before upgrading to 6.60. Am I right?I used the link Form the tutorial and downloaded Hellcat's Recovery Flasher 1.65NEWEST! So then it installed a new default search engine even though I specifically deselected it in the installation preferences. And then it froze at 14% installation. I tried the installation process again but it won't work for some reason. definitely seems to be the wrong file.

I've reported the file as not working on filetrip, downloaded it from another site and now have the 'recovery' folder (without having to install anything onto my pc as happened the 1st time) and will move onto the next steps. I'll let you know how it goes, thanks.

Also does the memory stick have to be formatted in a certain way or be a magic stick or anything like that? I have a 1 GB sony memory stick duo magic gate' (the guy who hacked my psp formatted it and put a game on there for me and it was working fine) and I also have an 8 GB class 10 verbatim micro sd card which I put into a 'ms produo smart dual reader' Which I haven't formatted in any way yet.

supashaka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh I didn't realise, you're right I didn't press manual download that must be why I got the wrong file! I clicked 'download selected version' but I've never had a problem with it before, how do I manually download the raw zip file (for future reference)?

So I'll use the 1GB stick that my friend used to put the iso file on and let you know, thanks again for the help :yayps3:

supashaka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I did what the tutorial said, I downloaded and renamed the EBOOT.PBP to 500.PBP, and stuck it in the recovery folder (which I got from the Hellcat's Recovery Flasher ) but when I tried to run it, it said:' this game cannot be started. the data is corrupted'. I downloaded hellcat flasher (same version) from another site and again took the recovery folder but the same thing happened. I tried putting the recovery folder in the root, it made no difference. Should I also be putting the rest of the files from hellcats flasher?

I followed all the steps, don't get what I'm doing wrong?

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I did what the tutorial said, I downloaded and renamed the EBOOT.PBP to 500.PBP, and stuck it in the recovery folder (which I got from the Hellcat's Recovery Flasher ) but when I tried to run it, it said:' this game cannot be started. the data is corrupted'. I downloaded hellcat flasher (same version) from another site and again took the recovery folder but the same thing happened. I tried putting the recovery folder in the root, it made no difference. Should I also be putting the rest of the files from hellcats flasher?

I followed all the steps, don't get what I'm doing wrong?

That means your PSP is NOT hacked.

Jaspiter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like osm70 said, your PSP is no long hacked, so you cannot use hellcat's recovery flasher. Like BlackWizzard17 said, find a tutorial for Pro B or Pro C if you can, since they only take about 5 minutes to get up and running, regardless of your firmware version, and you can choose to install CFW permanently or not.

This tutorial here should be very easy to follow and will get you where you want to go.

Hacking a PSP is alot easier than the Daxter days, where you had to use arcane methods like splitting open your battery and making lead markings on the board, using apps like Despertar Del Cementario and Time Machine. Ah those were the days.

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Like osm70 said, your PSP is no long hacked, so you cannot use hellcat's recovery flasher. Like BlackWizzard17 said, find a tutorial for Pro B or Pro C if you can, since they only take about 5 minutes to get up and running, regardless of your firmware version, and you can choose to install CFW permanently or not.

This tutorial here should be very easy to follow and will get you where you want to go.

Hacking a PSP is alot easier than the Daxter days, where you had to use arcane methods like splitting open your battery and making lead markings on the board, using apps like Despertar Del Cementario and Time Machine. Ah those were the days.

Really? You mean legit working time machine?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You just need to run the fast recovery homebrew thing for your current version of PRO in order to put it in the temporary-hacked mode so you can run homebrew like Hellcat's.

And before anybody suggests it, yes he could just uninstall and update PRO, but I think a full flash would work best as this is a 1000 and it's likely had a lot of crap done to flash0 by this time.

supashaka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks guys I hacked it with the permanent patch. what are the disadvantages of the permanent patch?

Specifically, I wanted to know if you can use the internet on the hacked PSP or if it will brick or force an update? Can we play online or just go onto the playstation store or neither? I'm going to buy another psp for multiplayer, which model is the best to buy for hacking?

supashaka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
How can I identify a psp 2000 older/early model before buying? Also does it make it easier if it has certain firmware (like not above a certain number)? If I can access psn can I also play multiplayer games online as normal or are there any particular precautions? Also regarding a pro duo stick adapter which is the most reliable to buy? Also the adapter which I already have won't run in the psp, do I have to format the micro SD in any way to get it to run?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Just update your psp to 6.60 and use a custom
firmware installer such as pro-b.

If he does that and has one of the earlier PSP firmwares, there is a very real possibility that he will brick his system and will require a Pandora battery for recovery. In such cases, it is safer to flash a whole firmware file onto the system rather than use a system update.

How can I identify a psp 2000 older/early model before buying?
All PSP models with a Data Code below 8B are Pandora-Capable, 8C PSP's have a 50/50 chance of being Pandora-Capable, later Data Codes have the new motherboard and are not Pandora-Capable. To check the Data Code, open the battery compartment and remove the battery. The code should be right next to the serial. If the sticker is missing or for some reason unreadable, use a signed version of PSPIdent to check the motherboard model.
Also does it make it easier if it has certain firmware (like not above a certain number)? If I can access psn can I also play multiplayer games online as normal or are there any particular precautions?
Current CFW's have no restrictions regarding PSN - anything between 6.20 and 6.60 is fine. 6.20 is recommended for post-8B systems as it allows using the permanent patch, the rest should work fine on 6.60.
Also regarding a pro duo stick adapter which is the most reliable to buy? Also the adapter which I already have won't run in the psp, do I have to format the micro SD in any way to get it to run?

The most reliable adapter is the Photofast CR-5400, however the internet is full of fake copies of it. To be honest, any adapter will do and if you have problems with it, return it. No adapter will ever match the speeds of a real Memory Stick, but they're good enough for games.

supashaka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
With my current psp it had System Software: Version 6.39 and I followed rydian's tutorial. First I made the mistake of following the inital steps of using hellcat's flasher which didn't work because I didn't read properly lol: I didn't need to do that 1st step because my psp had completely unhacked itself so no longer had a custom firmware/hack on. I jumped straight to the step 'install official 6.60 firmware' then I installed the 6.60 pro hack then made it permanent. The confusion came because it was my 1st time, I didn't get the difference between official 6.60 firmware and the pro 6.60 hack. All the new vocab can get confusing for a beginner lol!

so I'm gonna try to look for a psp 2000 model with a date code of 8B or below. There are no other ways of checking? I only ask in case I find something online where I can't check the code (if it's a private seller then I'm sure I can ask them before buying) Also i read regarding the photofast that you must put the micro sd into the adapter and format it using the psp only, attempting to format it with a pc will result in data read error? And that to transfer files I shouldn't use the micro sd I should just use a usb data transfer cable. Can anyone shed light on this? (I currently have an 'ms pro duo smart dual reader' adapter and will soon try formatting it in the psp)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/kTzpzBF.mp4