I think my laptop is nearing the end of its lifespan

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by luke_c, Aug 14, 2011.

1. luke_c
    OP

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    I have an Acer Aspire 5735 Laptop, (The model with 4GB of RAM, a 500GB HDD and a T6400 CPU.) It's been starting to play up the last few months, it started with what I think was the Hard drive, which was making some weird noises, and it didn't sound like any noise it would make if it WAS the Hard drive, no clunking etc just random clicking. That went away after time, but recently my Laptop's been going really slow at random times. With just mIRC open the CPU usage can be anywhere from 20% to 98% (See picture in spoiler below.)
    Random CPU Usage spikes

I don't know what to do anymore, my mum said she saw smoke coming out the back vent a few weeks ago but I thought she was just imagining it. Could the CPU be ...semi-fried or something? Is my Laptop dead?

I've run multiple virus checks with multiple programs, defragged and everything etc. There's nothing wrong with it.

2. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    Your problem is pretty obvious: Acer.

I guess you should keep on cleaning it out with compressed air, and not using it for more than a few hours at a time.

3. luke_c
    OP

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    Well its worked fine the past 3 or so years and I clean it monthly with a can of compressed air :/

4. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    3 years of good use is a lot for a laptop to handle, especially with a brand like Acer. My Sony's worse off than yours; I don't really have too much in the way of CPU problems, but the mouse buttons rarely respond, the WLAN loses power if the laptop is shifted, and today the sound card quit altogether. The DVD drive quit working at least a year ago, and if I hadn't upgraded the HDD some months ago, that probably would've bit it too.

Still, before you start shopping around for a new machine, check to see what's eating at your CPU (in task manager, make sure you're looking at processes from all users) and see if you can't figure out why. Might want to install a temperature monitoring tool too; I've had two friends with Acer laptops who had catastrophic CPU failure due to overeating, one even with a cooling pad, so it's an issue you'll want to take seriously.

5. Ace Overclocked

Member Ace Overclocked My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Italy
    0.0 my acer is 9 yrs old and it still works well

6. Sly 3 4 me

Member Sly 3 4 me GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Perhaps it's the 82 other processes which you are running.. Without any programs on my Acer laptop running Windows 7 I am only at 43 processes, nearly half of what you are running. You should not be running that many unless you still have the clunky and useless programs which Acer uses. Are you using Vista or Windows 7.. If you're using Vista then you certainly should switch to windows 7. Check the startup programs and make sure you don't need any of them.. If I go over 70 processes my computer slows down. As it was mentioned, also use canned spray air to clean out the fan. See if your laptop has the panel on the bottom which allows it to be removed. I have this and it allows the inside to be cleaned perfectly. I can disconnect the fan and clean it out. Make sure the laptop is off when you clean it and when using the canned air it does not make the fan spin too fast. Even though it is not on, it can short because it's not meant to go faster than a certain rate. Make sure the laptop is elevated so that the dust can come out of the vents at the bottom. My laptop has a back vent and a side vent which both allow the dust and contents within the fan to be cleaned out by simply spraying in the direction for the fan movement. I clean out my laptop with the canned air every month, the can is pretty cheap for a large one too.

7. Dangy

Member Dangy Twisting Your Mind & Smashing Your Dreams

United States
    This^

I've had nothing but problems with Acer.

8. Ringo619

Member Ringo619 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    i also have this problem , mines about 2 years a dell inspiron 1545 and my cpu usage just randomly goes up and down and times and but i seemed to fix it by downloading vc ram cleaner , seems to have done the job.

9. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Have you monitored your temperatures? And when you say you air dusted it have you gone into the heatsink to make sure that the inside grills are actually clear? What you might have though of us smoke could actually be fine dust. Some acers are very prone to getting blocked heatsinks even if you air dust them regularly. I know this from personal experience after I took the fans cover plate off of my own old acer laptop recently.

Evidence.

[​IMG]

It accumulated all of that despite regular air dusting's and me taking very good care of it.

10. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Wat.

And on topic, you really need to check your internals. Dust can accumulate in the most unlikely spots, and that's how my old desktop died out on me.

11. Dangy

Member Dangy Twisting Your Mind & Smashing Your Dreams

United States
    For simplicity's sake, I said mine, instead of 'my dad'.

"My dad has nothing but problems with Acer."

12. marcus134

Member marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    If you want to be sure that it's a hardware problem, you can try a clean installation of windows.

13. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    Have you tried backing up your files and doing a factory restore? This worked with my gf's old Dell.

Google "YourComputersBrandName and ModelNumber" for instructions.

It's usually F-something at the boot screen.

14. luke_c
    OP

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    I've already cleaned the insides, the temperatures are fine and seem to be consistent as well. I would try a restore but it's the last resort at the moment :/

15. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Every 6-12 months, I recommend opening up the laptop and cleaning everything you can reach. Compressed air can blow around the loose dust, but the compacted, heat-baked and caked over dust won't shift without wiping it off with a pipecleaner or the likes. P1ng's picture is a perfect example.

For those who say otherwise, "Acer" is not the problem. That's as ignorant as saying HP and DELL is the problem. All they do is select the parts and assemble them. Acer like to use shiny blue cases, HP like to add premium features like remote controls and specially designed cases, and DELL like to use the cheapest parts they can get their hands on. HP has a track history of design flaws leading to overheating, DELL often come across cases where they have to replace the motherboard because Foxconn aren't exactly known for reliability, and Acer's customer base is divided roughly 80-20 between those who say they are awesome (my Dad falls into this side) and those who say they are nothing but problems (see the above posters). FYI, we've only had one problem with our Acer laptop... the power cable likes to fall out easily. Other than that, it's great.

Fun fact: all laptops, no matter who makes them (Macs included) have a 15-25% chance of having a major failure within 3 years of purchase. HP are at the higher end, and Toshiba are at the lower end. Acer are roughly in the middle.

16. marcus134

Member marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
  17. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I'm just quoting a half remembered chart from a website posted around a year ago. Either way, these statistics will vary depending on who is collecting them and when.

18. kevan

Member kevan Imagination rules the world

Australia
    Crap I got a HP, lets just hope that since I got a top of the line HP (just about) it's a bit more reliable.