I think my laptop hard drive might be broken

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by abaddon41_80, Jun 16, 2008.

Jun 16, 2008
  1. abaddon41_80
    OP

Member abaddon41_80 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So I was on my laptop yesterday morning browsing the internet. I wasn't downloading anything and the only programs I had open were firefox and VBA and next thing I know my system crashes. When I try to start it back up it keeps on saying "No operating System found" and the two times I got it to actually start it crashed almost instantly. I went to the BIOS menu to make sure it was checking the hard drive first and it was but it still didn't work. Then I put in the back-up disk that the laptop came with and got to the screen where it asks where I want to install Windows and the hard drive was recognized but it said it couldn't install windows on it.

I have tested it a lot to make sure the connection between the hard drive and computer is working and every time the computer knows it is there so I know that isn't the problem and since the back-up disk is just opened I am pretty sure that isn't the problem so I think it is the hard drive but I am not an expert on computers so I am not really sure and I don't have an extra hard drive or laptop to test with. Like I said, I think the problem is the hard drive but I want to make sure before I go out and spend $100 on a new one. Thanks

2. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    Try reformatting it, this will of course erase all data on the drive but it sounds like said data is inaccessible anyway. When installing Windows and selecting a harddrive to install it on you should have the option to format it (you do on Vista at least, dunno about XP as I haven't installed that in a while). If not, download gparted and burn that to a CD. It's a free bootable CD that is easy to use, and isgreat at harddrive management. It will reformat your harddrive straightaway (as long as it's not too messed up to format it).

Come back after you've tried this.

3. abaddon41_80
    OP

United States
    I am trying to use the back-up disk to reformat the hard drive but whenever I get to the screen the "reformat" option is never available. It is there but I can't click on it.

I don't know if this is important or not but when I try and boot the computer from the hard drive it says "Media test failure, check cable". Could that mean that the connection between the HDD and the computer is messed up? But if that is the case why is it recognizing that the HDD is there?

4. Suranwrap

Newcomer Suranwrap Member

Canada
    another option before you format is to take out the drive, (its normally one screw) and put the drive in a zip lock back and in the freezer. wait about an hour and plug it in, if it works for like 10 min, then crashes again, it is for sure the hard drive.

5. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    ...I've never heard of this method. How does it accomplish anything?

6. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    Definitely sounds like the harddisk has problems. I doubt it would be the connector though.
    Look for a program called HDD Regenerator. It's not free though. Or Hiren's Boot CD since that includes HDD Regenerator (the old version I have does anyway).
    It lets you make a bootable CD that scans the HDD for bad sectors and can repair them "60% of the time" according to the website. It's always worked for me.

Also "Media test failure, check cable", is a notice produced by the PXE boot software when there's no ethernet cable connected (PXE allows you to boot from a network source, rather than a harddrive, cd, floppy, etc). If you want to disable it, look for Network Boot or PXE in your BIOS.
    The reason you're seeing it is that some computers will check if a PXE boot is available before trying to boot the harddrive. And some will try to boot the harddrive, fail, then move on to the next boot in it's bios settings, which will be the PXE sometimes.

That's totally new to me too. Sounds like something a troll would say. Sorry, I meant sounds like something my mother would say.

7. abaddon41_80
    OP

United States
    I tried the freezer thing twice and the first time it actually allowed me to get all the way to my desktop, in safe mode, before it froze and the second time it asked me how I wanted to start up the computer (safe mode, normally, etc) but when I choose it froze.

I am gonna try the free HDD Regenerator but on the website it says it is $60 and for that price I could almost buy a new HDD. It is not like I have anything important on the old hard drive anyway. And if I bought a new hard drive I could just use the disk that came with the laptop to install Vista Home Basic into the new HDD, right?

8. alltooamorous

Newcomer alltooamorous Advanced Member

United States
    This method works for harddrives that have corrupted due to overheating. Heard from people that it does work, but I think he might be able to save his harddrive just by reformatting.

9. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    Interesting that that would work but I guess it makes sense. Good to know for future reference.

10. abaddon41_80
    OP

United States
    I tried HDD regen and the first time I ran it it didn't find any bad sectors and I was almost able to start the computer up but it froze at the start-up repair screen. So I ran it again and all it found was bad sectors and it tried to repair them but the computer still wouldn't start. At this point I think I am just gonna buy a new HDD but thanks for all the help guys

11. abaddon41_80
    OP

United States
    I still know nothing about computers so I need to know what type of hard drive to buy. This is the computer I have

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/arcmessage...threadid=699162

and even though price isn't really an option I don't want to spend $100+ so can anyone link me to something from Newegg that would work with it?

12. abaddon41_80
    OP

United States
  13. KDH

Member KDH GBAtemp Regular

United States
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136130

That's probably what you need, though I can't be sure unless you can either show the connector on the current drive or tell us whether it's SATA or PATA.

Not likely, the CD's/DVD's that come with computers are almost always tied to the original hardware that was in the computer, especially the Windows disc. You'll probably have to obtain an OEM or Retail Installation disc to get Windows back, though that's entirely optional.

14. Tripp

Member Tripp GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sometimes just tied to the bios so wouldn't hurt to try...

15. KDH

Member KDH GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Huh, well both the laptops I've bought in the last two years (one of which was an Aspire 3690) had the recovery DVDs tied to all the hardware, so I figured that was the way they were doing it now.

16. abaddon41_80
    OP

United States
    So this is gonna end up costing me a lot, huh? Okay then could someone tell me where is the cheapest place I can buy a Windows installation disc from please?

17. Javacat

Member Javacat GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Maybe. You could just get the new hard drive and try installing to it. If it does complain then there are ways around it [​IMG]

18. abaddon41_80
    OP

United States
    Yeah I am gonna try doing that first, just order the HDD, and I hope to god that it works

19. phoood

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
    did not expect that...

20. abaddon41_80
    OP

United States
    I am getting back to this so late because I just got paid, sorry. The HDD is SATA. I am probably gonna go with this one