Hacking I think I'm tired of stealing games.

Extreme Coder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
Mthrnite: since when did the GBA become a pirate?
tongue.gif

melloncollie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think if games were to be sold just a tad bit cheaper... i mean, for ps2... they could just sell it for 15 bucks rather than 30+ and everyone would buy it instead of going to the local chinatown to grab one for 10... or even less. for gameboy, i'm not so sure... but yeah, i think if they could just stick to more affordable prices, the consumers would be happy and would buy a legal copy rather than mod their systems... i only actually got a flashcart because 1) i seldom play games... and 2) now that i'm on house arrest, i don't even have the opportunity to leave my house to go buy a game... with the money that i'm not even making due to being under house. companies should see that they'll rake in more money if they dropped their prices... there's many reasons why they should, too! 1) dropping prices means it's affordable to the ghetto, 2) dropping prices means that chinatown will notice that they aren't going to be eating much if they sell illegal copies and will stop selling them... 3) it would take much less effort / time to just go to the store and grab a copy than to wait for it to download. that's just what i think... if anyone wants to flame me for a stupid post, go ahead... i think it's reasonable, though... and yeah, companies work hard... you can't really blame them... i think they're just a li'l too greedy...
demand-slope.gif

* DP = small change in the current price (DP < 0).
* DQ = small change in the quantity demanded
* slope = DP/DQ
* P = Price
* Q = Quantity

It's called the demand curve.
That simple little graph tells you the price at which to sell a product in order to get the units moving.
Companies are greedy, yes but it's not like they're robbing you.

AWESOME_noob

Trophies
XP
Country
i think if games were to be sold just a tad bit cheaper... i mean, for ps2... they could just sell it for 15 bucks rather than 30+ and everyone would buy it instead of going to the local chinatown to grab one for 10... or even less. for gameboy, i'm not so sure... but yeah, i think if they could just stick to more affordable prices, the consumers would be happy and would buy a legal copy rather than mod their systems... i only actually got a flashcart because 1) i seldom play games... and 2) now that i'm on house arrest, i don't even have the opportunity to leave my house to go buy a game... with the money that i'm not even making due to being under house. companies should see that they'll rake in more money if they dropped their prices... there's many reasons why they should, too! 1) dropping prices means it's affordable to the ghetto, 2) dropping prices means that chinatown will notice that they aren't going to be eating much if they sell illegal copies and will stop selling them... 3) it would take much less effort / time to just go to the store and grab a copy than to wait for it to download. that's just what i think... if anyone wants to flame me for a stupid post, go ahead... i think it's reasonable, though... and yeah, companies work hard... you can't really blame them... i think they're just a li'l too greedy...

demand-slope.gif

* DP = small change in the current price (DP < 0).
* DQ = small change in the quantity demanded
* slope = DP/DQ

It's called the demand curve.
That simple little graph tells you the price at which to sell a product in order to get the units moving.
Companies are greedy, yes but it's not like they're robbing you.

ahhhh... its a LOT more clearer now.. thx for the graphical representation
wink.gif

Rangent

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so you've struck a chord and have had a change of heart.

So what?

You want to sell it so someone else can basically do the same thing that you did?

You don't feel the same satisfaction because you feel guilt. People who buy flashcards are making a conscious choice. If you play a game on a flashcard and never buy it in a store, you might be able to say that the company never really lost any money because it was never bought in the first place, but that's the entire point - it was never actually bought because you played it on the flashcard. Whether you would have bought it even if you didn't have a flashcard is irrelevant because you are using on the flashcard.

The only people who are exempted from this rule are those who already own legal copies of the backups they play because they've at least helped the companies that their "stealing" from.

People who use these devices are stealing directly from the pockets of developers who put a lot of time to make some of these great games. The people who say piracy doesn't effect the industry are total dumbasses. They have a greater impact that they realize by the actions they take.

I can vouch, I'm one of them, and I know what I'm doing is wrong.

I'm sure I'll be paying for it in the future, somehow. The karmic waves have a way of flowing back to you in ways that aren't atways good.
I dont think it's guilt exactly, because when I turned 18 I sorta felt the same thing. When you're earning 50-200$ a month when you're younger, a new game is pretty much a large chunk of your money, if not all of it. When you're younger, you just want to play games, so you drop 150$ to mod a system, and start downloading. When you grow up, you realize that playing a game that you didn't have to earn is kind of boring. I got into this feeling about 2-3 years ago, and I'll still occasionally download a game, but ususually only games I actually have an intention or mean own, or games I'm interested in owning, but dont want to buy right off the bat in case they major-suck. I buy about 30% of the games I download--90% of games I download and play for longer than 2 hours. Basically you start to realize, the only way that the companies are going to get rewarded for making a good game is by having consumers buy the game--no other way.

I'm right there with you. Dont sell the card if you can, there may be some game that you think is interesting, but not worth buying until you can give it a good try. Even then, I usuaully keep playing the game I downloaded if I have any significant play time, and just put the actual cartrage into my pile o games.

rkenshin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I only get tired if I stole a game in store where I'm off running away from the cops when my car runs out of gas during a highway chase across the state..

But stealing over the internet, not tiring at all
tongue.gif

melloncollie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
whoa... i never knew about that curve crap... but... how does it work? lol even if it's graphic, i'm still lost.
It's just a graphical representation of the fact that as the price per unit increases, consumers will demand less of a good or service (this is also called the Law of Demand). For instance, say the price per unit is something like $2500 then the quantity demanded would, hypothetically, be 0 but if the price per unit of the same exact unit would go down to $2000 the quantity demanded would go up (say, 1000). Then if the price per unit goes lower, let' us say $500 then the quantity demanded would be 4000. Of course these are all hypothetical figures. Oh and a shift from one price to another is called movement on the demand curve.

Hope this clarified the Demand Curve a bit.

Here's a better graph for you all:

DCexp.GIF

kingeightsix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
whoa... i never knew about that curve crap... but... how does it work? lol even if it's graphic, i'm still lost.

It's just a graphical representation of the fact that as the price per unit increases, consumers will demand less of a good or service (this is also called the Law of Demand). For instance, say the price per unit is something like $2500 then the quantity demanded would, hypothetically, be 0 but if the price per unit of the same exact unit would go down to $2000 the quantity demanded would go up (say, 1000). Then if the price per unit goes lower, let' us say $500 then the quantity demanded would be 4000. Of course these are all hypothetical figures. Oh and a shift from one price to another is called movement on the demand curve.

Hope this clarified the Demand Curve a bit.

Here's a better graph for you all:

DCexp.GIF
OMG are you a girl? if you are, come by my place and teach me some more about this stuff... if not... i'll turn gay LOLLL

this is the most interesting thing i've learned since i've been on house arrest... and it's really useful... thanks!

FYI, I WAS KIDDING... I WOULDN'T EVER PLAY FOR THE OTHER TEAM... EVEN IF MY LIFE DEPENDED ON IT... JUST NOT POSSIBLE

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
So you don't know the slope until you've had the product at two different price points?
In other words, until you've either raised or lowered the price you can't really make any predictions of product demand for any further changes in price. Did I get that right?

Sorry, just had to get this sussed before I go on with my life.

melloncollie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No.
You know the quantity demanded by the price in which you set.
I was just saying that shifting prices causes a general shift in the demand curve.

i.e. price affects quantity demanded.

skylerj

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.koopatorivm.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't really see the purpose of including those graphs, other than for melloncollie to try to feel superior to everyone else. It not only very basic ( probably typed verbatium from his High School economics textbook), but it's not terriably relevent to the discussion here.

We don't need complex graphs to know that the product demand drops when price increases. But it's not automatically true that demand rises when price is dropped:
What if I tried to sell you a chocolate covered badger for 1000 dollars? Do we have a deal? What if I offered it to you for NEW LOW PRICE of 100 dollars? Do you want it any more than you did before I dropped the price.

The way it really works is that demand can only be slightly adjusted by the company by setting different prices, but the base demand comes from somewhere else.

Now let me try to apply this concept to rom using, something melloncollie didn't do:
One source of base demand is marketing (hype). What if a company hyped a turd of a game and the demand caused by the hype allowed them to place it at the upper end of ds games (40 bucks). Would it really be stealing to try out the game to make sure it was worth it? If it was an ok game, worth 20 bucks, would it be stealing to refuse to pony up the 40 bucks? Maybe it is stealing, but it's not cut and dried in my opinion.

melloncollie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The purpose of me bringing up the demand curve was to shut some guy up about chraging $50 for a ten cent disc and how if a company would just lower the price of all video games then the world would be a happy place.

Why don't you try reading past posts instead of jumping the gun?

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I was having a bit of a time arriving at the point.. Thank you skylerj, chocolate covered badgers I can understand.
So in the end, we can safely assume that kingeightsix was correct. Dropping the price would kill off a bunch of piracy. I'd buy a 15 dollar game a LOT quicker than a 40 dollar one, same as he would.

.. and I will buy your chocolate covered badger for no more than $50. Do we have a deal sir?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram ple bs lol