Votes: 96 62.3%

• Total voters

AdamFX990

Confused Humanoid
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The games are far too expensive for it too be worth buying official releases IMO. The only value I'm expecting to get out of it is from homebrew.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nobody's releasing shit, so might as well update. As usual, the hacking teams are nothing but assholes showing off.
Anything that is ready for public release has been released. We have hbl for 3.0.0, and trustzone exploits don't really have a use right now until atmosphere-nx is done, which that too is being worked on.
If yall are unhappy with how things are being done (which they do for free as a hobby) then you can go do it yourself, but I doubt you have the skill set to do it.
You people don't seem to understand these things take time to prefect for public release. They aren't your slaves and owe your ungrateful a**es nothing.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, if you want to update, go ahead.
Right now the only Switch exclusive I really want to play is Mario Odyssey (and Doom but that's not exclusive).
If you REALLY are that desperate to play a handful of exclusives, or to play one of the many ports on the go (which makes up 90% of the Switch library), go ahead.

I don't really care at the moment about the exclusives the Switch has.
Once Metroid Prime 4 hits the scene, perhaps, but right now I'm in no hurry.

Also, CFW might come sooner than you think.
The homebrew scene is advancing at such a rapid pace, it's amazing.
Just yesterday there was a release for a script to make game dumps, and SciresM and his crew are making almost daily commits to the AtmosphereNX repo. CFW is closer than you might think.
I'm giving a deadline of perhaps this year's E3 for a release of some sort. And this is without taking into consideration other teams which might do a release on their side.

But really, holding off until CFW hits is not bad, once CFW hits you can enjoy both homebrew and latest games without issues.

Samus20XX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why is this even a post..?

Congratulations? Go and update then?

If you've never been a part of a homebrew scene before or have hacked a console, than i get it.

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It will take time to be stable, and another few months loaders and such.
believe me i will be very happy for CFW on the Switch but on the latest FW, i won't sacrifice the new games and online for that.

I honestly couldn't care less about nintendo online service. and latest games? I have time! not so much FW 5.0 titles anyway!

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I decided to wait because A: In the end I will get to play any games I have missed (emuNAND), B: I dont use online very much, C: I have other games to finish/complete e.g. BoTW DLC and lots of anime to finish.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm holding off on 4.1. I have over 30 games and most of them I haven't completed. Nothing currently announced is worth updating for me either.
Since cfw will likely get a release in the next year (I would even guess before the end of 2018) I'll be fine until we get an emuNAND.

Reactions: Ichii Giki

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pros and cons of waiting, for me:

Pros: Mostly the playing of backups. Also, basic functionality that is absent from a stock system (file management, media apps)
Cons: Might have to wait to play the few exclusives that are worth playing.

Reactions: TheCyberQuake

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not going to update, and I have a PC to play shit on already. I'm personally hoping for a BOTW Wii-U -> Switch save file converter. I don't want to loose my progress from the Wii-U version, when I get the game on Switch. :(

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wait too because I have no money for those expensive games while the games I buy on PC are top of the line and we pay like 10, 20 eur and even pre release games I bought BF1 back the on those key stores for like 38eur while it's mostly 70eur for the consoles...

Also this is like having an upgraded Nvidia Shield Tablet just without 90% of the functionalities :) with hacking who knows what magic can come to the device, hell it might even appear a dual boot with something like the android ROM from the Nvidia Shield TV with all the extra drivers like for the joy-cons...

Jackson98

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have a legit reason on why I don't update my FW.
I'm using a 3rd-party dock and I don't want to risk a brick.

You realise this 3rd party rubbish only has been reported with the Nyko dock(which already had issues), and got out of control from Spawnwaves video. Their is nothing to say any other 3rd party dock would cause issues, and mine definitely has not. Their are multiple videos showing many other 3rd party docks running fine on 5.0. All I'm saying is if you don't own specifically a Nyko dock, don't let it influence your decision on weather your going to update or not, because I've used a 3rd party dock since updating multiple times(costing only 12$ US) and it has caused no issues at all.

Leobgood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are a grown man - stop asking for validation. Make your own decision.
If you are underage - consult with your parents. And let them decide for you.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What are the reasons to use a 3rd party dock instead of the official one that comes with the Switch?
A 3rd party dock:
1. Is small.
2. Is cheap.

So, the first reason, it is small:
Imagine you want to carry the dock in your pocket when visiting a friend or something, well, unless you have huge pockets it is difficult to do that with the original dock. You could still use the electronics of the original dock, and put that into a smaller case, but take into account that that would cost you some $80+ (for an original dock) plus the cost of the smaller replacement dock.

For the second reason, it is cheap:
Suppose you have multiple TVs in your home, and you move your Switch to some other TV often, perhaps from between your bedroom and your living room, or whatever. You either have to disconnect and reconnect the dock all the time like an idiot, or you can buy a second dock. And a Nintendo dock is $80+, while a 3rd party dock may cost $20-.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
Reactions: lordelan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte