I think I wrecked my wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by azn_spirit, Mar 19, 2007.

Mar 19, 2007

I think I wrecked my wii by azn_spirit at 3:07 PM (1,307 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. azn_spirit
    OP

Newcomer azn_spirit Newbie

Australia
    ...crap I dropped solder onto that chip without realising and now that I see it i looks pretty messed up...please anybody tell me if I can still save my wii!!!

[​IMG]

2. instigator

Newcomer instigator Advanced Member

Canada
    Should be any easy cleanup. Just buy some desoldering braid and apply it to the solder you want removed. Then apply your iron to it. It'll suck it up.

Just be sure you have it all cleaned up before you power on your Wii. Use a magnifying glass to insure none of the pins are bridged!

3. azn_spirit
    OP

Australia
    HUGS!!!! I know that sounds really stupid.....yes...but you're a legend! I've been worrying my head off so much lately because my siblings play the wii so much and I didn't really want to face that!

I am so much more relieved now thanks!

4. Dagur

Newcomer Dagur Member

Iceland
    tell us how it went [​IMG]

5. azn_spirit
    OP

Australia
    Yeah sure I will

It looks kinda hard coz its so small, but i will try, do you think i should give this to a technician with experience or am i fine with it myself? its just the chip, the rest is fine.

Just one thing I need to stress......don't underestimate how hard soldering is if ur a newbie! I think the Wii is ridiculously tough to mod for a newbie like myself with its microscopic points, ive seen soldering before...but not at sizes like this so close together....I got annoyed so many times!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. arthurkok2

Member arthurkok2 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    you should try modding those ps2 mods with 20+ wires and soldering onto the bios chip pins

7. mustnap

Member mustnap GBAtemp Regular

United States
    man, i saw the diagram for modding PS2, i don't think i could do it..

8. Perplexer

Member Perplexer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah, use a decent power (30W) soldering iron and some solder wick, and it will remove that blob.

Be careful you don't put the solder wick over the capacitors (the two brown boxes) under the chip, or they might come off as well.

And DEFINITELY don't power on the Wii until you're sure that no pins are still bridged.

Good luck!

(P.S. There is NEVER a reason you need a blob of solder hanging off your iron! This leads to cold solder joints, bridges, and splashes, and means you're doing it wrong...)

9. instigator

Newcomer instigator Advanced Member

Canada
    Easy now! Unless of course you happen to be a bronzed Bondai Beach Babe [​IMG]

10. kanja

Newcomer kanja Newbie

United States
    I did the same thing....

Just have patience, you might only get a little bit off each time if the solder gets behind the pins on the chip. It probably took me 20 minutes each time to clean mine up with some solder wick.

11. azn_spirit
    OP

Australia
    mmm alright thanks...I'm gonna try it soon...far out...it doesn't seem like there's much space around not good...just hope i don't touch the capacitors. it seems like I gotta be microscopic when it comes to doin this =)

Hopefully, all the good games I get with this will make up for all the pain this has caused me! ^^

12. DRACO

Member DRACO GBAtemp Regular

United States
    now thats te spirit just dont freak --try to space out when u do it