Hacking I think I need to do a NAND restore, but not sure...help?

JayIbero

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I haven't had any problems with my wii in the 6 months I've had it, but suddenly it's having issues. Now whenever I try to load the system menu I get the "system files are corrupted" message. Here's a list of all the relevent information about the state of my Wii:

System Menu 4.2. I updated a couple weeks ago and everything was running fine, but suddenly today I go to play and get issues. Haven't done any modding since I last played when everything was working fine...

Preloader .29 installed. It loads fine on powerup, but can't load system menu from there.

HBC. Can load it successfully from preloader.

Bootmii as IOS. I am able to load it from HBC, so I can theoretically do a NAND restore correct?

NAND backup on SD card from immediately before 4.2 update.

I'm still able to play games via backup loaders through HBC, so that's not soooo bad...but the sudden loss of the system menu is disturbing...

Help?

JayIbero

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
make sure preloader is set to use IOS70 for the system menu.

Did you update through nintendo or another means?

What system menu were you on prior to updating?

Preloader is set to that IOS.

I updated through that "safe 4.2 updater" program....I'll dig up the name in a bit, but it runs through HBC

Was on system menu 4.1 before...and originally 4.0 when I bought the system.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
The problem is your IOS70 is not trucha patched and/or ES_Identify patched. The 4.2 safe updater buy zektor does not patch any ios', it is exactly like the official ninty update except it does not install any stub ios' or update your boot2.

Preloader requires a trucha patched and ES_Identify patched system menu IOS. But the updated version (Priiloader) does not.

So either install IOS70patchedfreethewads.wad, or upgrade to Priiloader, or both.

I recommend updating to Priiloader, and if u have pirated wiiware or vc games, u need a trucha patched system menu IOS (IOS70 on 4.2) for those to work.

Upgrade preloader to priiloader rev32 (links available here).

Posts merged

fyi, signatures are not working for any1 right now, even if u try re-creating one, it will tell u it is too long (even if its 5 letters). I'm sure gbatemp will get it all sorted soon enough
biggrin.gif

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
@DeadlyFoez, correct me if I'm wrong, but the only thing 4.1 has that isn't offered by 4.2 is being able to player regionfree backup disks right (via a system menu hack)? So it would only make a difference to any1 using an older wii (one without a D3-2 chipset and can actually play backup disks in the first place), and to someone who still uses backup disks to launch games (as opposed to usb loaders).

In short, (again, plz correct me if i am wrong), but the only reason some1 would opt for a 4.1 system over a 4.2 is if they want to play regionfree backup disks and their hardware can support it.

That being said, 4.2 doesn't offer anything that 4.1 doesn't... but I just like being on the most recent firmware and still playing all my games off a usb just to rub in ninty's face!

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
fuck it, go back down to 4.1, then reinstall preloader. Trust me, you dont want 4.2 anyways.

As far as the sigs, I think someone hacked GBAtemp yesterday and EVERYONE had this stupid pic of some guy (kinda looked like reggie) holding what appears to be magic the gathering cards in their sig. Since they fixed that no one has had sigs.
i think your right, because i seen it, but i didnt realize it until i had no sig.

JayIbero

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xflak40 said:
The problem is your IOS70 is not trucha patched and/or ES_Identify patched. The 4.2 safe updater buy zektor does not patch any ios', it is exactly like the official ninty update except it does not install any stub ios' or update your boot2.

Preloader requires a trucha patched and ES_Identify patched system menu IOS. But the updated version (Priiloader) does not.

So either install IOS70patchedfreethewads.wad, or upgrade to Priiloader, or both.

I recommend updating to Priiloader, and if u have pirated wiiware or vc games, u need a trucha patched system menu IOS (IOS70 on 4.2) for those to work.

Upgrade preloader to priiloader rev32 (links available here).

Posts merged

fyi, signatures are not working for any1 right now, even if u try re-creating one, it will tell u it is too long (even if its 5 letters). I'm sure gbatemp will get it all sorted soon enough
biggrin.gif

I'll give this a shot. Thanks for the info.

[Edit]
Updated to priiloader and updated IOS70 and I got my system menu back. Thanks for the help!

robiul

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
4.2 just sux. It does have some other issues, like you have to jump through an extra hoop to get a certain game working that you normally would not have to do.

At least with 4.1 you can install the official preloader .29 (I dont trust the other variants) and get every game working.

There is absolutely no reason at all to be on 4.2 and I certainly will not upgrade to it.

Lol I downloaded preloader and system menu 4.1 as soon as you said that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ab8GtuPdrUQ +1