I think I messed up my GBA

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by PatGuy785, Jan 1, 2015.

1. PatGuy785
    OP

PatGuy785 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2014
    United States
    I was doing a mod which involves installing the GBA SP frontlight into the original GBA and it sort of worked but the problem was was that it washes out my the colors of my GBA screen and it kept on switching to GBC mode.
    [​IMG]
    I decide to once again give up the mod, I took out all of the wires and frontlight and desolder the stuff I soldered and put my GBA back to normal, and when I put everything back in and pop in a GBA game. The GBA screen loads up fine until it took 6 seconds for the game to pop up (normally after the GBA intro finishes it takes 1 second for the game to start).
    The colors looked all weird.:wtf:
    It's fine when I play a GameBoy or GameBoy Color game. But when I play a GBA game the game it has all these weird colors.
    What did I do to my GBA??!!!! I'm so screwed!!!!!:cry:
    Well looks like I have to waste my money on a new GBA and think twice before modding it.
    [​IMG]

2. Lemmy Koopa

Lemmy Koopa M3 Perfect fanboy

Sep 17, 2012
    United States
    Ohio
    Uhhh that's not working, it almost looks like you don't even have the panel to distribute the light across the screen.

3. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    Might the battery life have something to do with it? When I backlit a Gameboy Pocket the display was really dim until I put fresh batteries in it.

4. PatGuy785
    OP

PatGuy785 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2014
    United States
    Guys this isn't about the frontlight mod. I gave that up already as you can see I removed the frontlight and the wires.
    I'm saying I'm having a serious problem with playing GameBoy Advance games. Because it keeps switching to GameBoy Color Mode instead of the normal GBA mode. The GameBoy/Color games work perfectly but for GBA games it's as if it doesn't play them anymore.
    Was there something I did wrong?
    I've tried fixing it by soldering it to see if they might be stuck together but even when I fixed it, it's still does not want to switch to GBA mode.

[​IMG]

Getting the GBC intro instead of GBA (I didn't even put a game in there yet).

[​IMG]

5. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    that looks ugly soldering/desoldering!

Somhow you have somwhere a contact that shots and lets the gba switch to gbc mode

6. PatGuy785
    OP

PatGuy785 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2014
    United States
    I know, soldering can sometimes be a pain in the *** sometimes.

I wonder if there's any other way to fix this problem. GameBoy/Color games are cool and all, but I also want to play GBA games!!!

7. Nusdogg

Nusdogg GBAtemp Fan

Feb 3, 2013
    United States
    St. Paul, MN
    I suggest you try to clean the soldering point messed you made there.

8. PatGuy785
    OP

PatGuy785 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2014
    United States
    I spoke about this problem with my uncle, he said the same thing he also suggested me to use the desoldering braid solder remover to remove the mess I made. I bought it and have it now. I might return doing this mod when I'm off from school/ ready.

Nusdogg likes this.
  9. Nusdogg

Nusdogg GBAtemp Fan

Feb 3, 2013
    United States
    St. Paul, MN
    Looking at the picture, it seems like all three points are connected, which is a no no. So I would clean those up with that desoldering braid you just bought and see if it'll still work with GBC games.

10. PatGuy785
    OP

PatGuy785 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2014
    United States
    Good news, today I was trying to do the frontlight mod. I saw the soldering mess I made, I struggled getting the mess cleaned up, I used a desoldering braid.
    [​IMG]
    Yes it may look messy again. (I need to start taking pictures in a better light)

But at least my GBA is back to normal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I tested it out with every game I owned, and their seems to be no issue.

As for the frontlight stuff, I'll probably do it another time. I was too busy struggling a little trying the clean the points on the motherboard. But hey, at least I got the Stealth Dimmer chip. :D
    I was going to use my SP AR Film,but by the looks of it, I might need to get a new one.

[​IMG]
    ^(Keep in mind this is my GBA SP screen with the AR Film).

Now that I installed the Dimmer Chip v4. Friday and Saturday, I've been trying to solder the resistor to the S2 point of the GBA motherboard but it just keeps easily coming off, which really is starting to frustrate me. I was wondering if it was either the solder or the soldering iron thats the problem.