I think I may have broken my RPG, please tell me there's a way to

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by KNEVER, Nov 27, 2008.

1. KNEVER
    OP

Newcomer KNEVER Member

United States
    I've had my RPG for about four months or so, and it's never given me any problems. Sometimes, when I try to manage files on my SD card, my computer won't let me, for some reason. So instead of hassling with it, I would just cut and paste files from the RPG to the SD card manually, in the DS.

A few minutes ago I was in this process, and did this with about 6 or 7 games. At one point, with still 4 or 5 games left on the memory, it showed that there were none. The SD card directory didn't seem to have any problem but it showed that the memory was empty.

I shut off the DS and turned it back on, but the DS prompted that there was no DS card inserted. After removing it and placing it several times, I gave up, and turned to my PC. I connected the RPG to the PC and it said I had to reformat it. I probably should have waited on that after I got information from you guys here... but I reformatted it anyway. I tried putting in the firmware again but it still tells me that there's no DS card, and my other games work fine on it.

I'm very worried that I may have taxed the RPG too much with all of that copy and pasting, and I really don't want to have to buy another one, so, please, for the love of God, tell me that there's a way to remedy this.

Please.

And thank you.

2. Normmatt

Member Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

New Zealand
    Reformat your nand using the Panasonic SD Formater it might solve your problem.

3. KNEVER
    OP

Newcomer KNEVER Member

United States
    I don't have one of those. Was it supposed to come with the RPG?

4. logical thinker

Member logical thinker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
  5. DaMummy

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    no, google it, firmat your microsd card using panasonic as well, its sounds like youre using akaio, it tends to have problems with copying games from one place to another, id had some problems doing that as well but never crashed anything, figure out why its not copying when its in pc, im hoping you dont have the LOCK button on lock, meaning you cant remove any data from card

6. KNEVER
    OP

Newcomer KNEVER Member

United States

The SD Card slot in my computer is narrow, and every time I slide it in, it pushes the lock button. Sometimes it doesn't lock and I can move files. but about 90% of the time, it locks when I put it in [​IMG]

Anyway, I'll try that Panasonic thing, hope it works [​IMG]

7. KNEVER
    OP

Newcomer KNEVER Member

United States
    I tried the reformatter, but it didn't seem to work. No change at all.

8. VatoLoco

Member VatoLoco Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.

United States
    Did you format the NAND, too?

9. KNEVER
    OP

Newcomer KNEVER Member

United States

...how exactly do I do that? I don't see an option for it.

10. VatoLoco

United States
    Just plug your RPG into your PC and the SD formatter will recognize the drive its on (mine is K:), then you can format the NAND like you would the SD.

11. Smiths

Member Smiths AKAIO Person of Interest

United States
    too bad there's no NAND formatter for the DS. I may just make something that writes 00s to all blocks on the thing, because my RPG is currently half-bricked. At the 126 meg mark there's either locked blocks or bad sectors (undetected by tons of utilities), so I can't copy over things in Windows or Mac that are larger than that. However, I can copy a 128 meg file (CT ROM for example) from the SD to the NAND from within the RPG GUI, and it just copies perfectly. then, from within Windows, I can fill up the card as usual.

It's like I have a blocked road at 126 megs that needs to be taken down somehow.

12. DaMummy

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    take the rpg apart and poke that block with a pointy stick, itll eventually move out of the damn way, nobody likes being poked by pointy objects

13. VatoLoco

United States
    [​IMG] that trick also works with Chevy engines (true story)

(sry for going off-topic)

14. VatoLoco

United States
    back on-topic, if the formatting doesn't do the trick, you can prolly exchange it for a new one from the place you bought it, or contact the Acekard people for a replacement. They just sent me a new ak2 for one that went bad, it only took a couple of days to get it, too [​IMG] .

15. KNEVER
    OP

Newcomer KNEVER Member

United States
    I suppose I'll try to get an exchange, even though I already ordered an Acekard2. I had no idea they were that cheap, and I'm sure they weren't a few months ago when I decided to get the RPG.

I got it from dealextreme, and if remember correctly, AK2s were ~$30 and RPGs ~$60.

Thanks for all the help, anyway.

16. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Smiths, I know this may be obvious but did you try chkdsk on it?

17. Smiths

Member Smiths AKAIO Person of Interest

United States
    dib - about 10 forms of chkdisk on OSX and PC.

It was OSX that messed it up when it was "unmounted improperly" (the crap i deal with for devving from an XP VM on OSX and apple's "unless the VM is focused, I GET TO MOUNT IT", even if it was mounted in the VM, then the VM lost focus... etc)

I can use it still and dev on it; I just can't copy past the 126 meg mark through any OS file copy; I have to do it from SD -> NAND in the RPG menu. Once I cross that hurdle, I can copy whatever I need.

I think I'm going to add "OSX support" to the list of crap I will not be helping people with regarding the AK2/RPG. It screws with all removable devices with its "writing over 100 hidden files" crap