i think i know how to tell if a wii remote plus is homebrew friendly

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by porko, Apr 22, 2016.

1. porko
    OP

porko GBAtemp Regular

Jun 5, 2008
    the ones i have include the mario, gold zelda, 2 black and 3 white.

2 of the white and the zelda work fine with homebrew, all the others lose connection at some point, i think i have found the common link between them!

homebrew friendly:
    1. no pass through sync button on the battery cover
    2. less icons and one less line of info printed on the side

hope this helps someone, also feel free to correct me if i'm wrong :)

2. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    The FCC ID for the ones that work with older homebrew is YE5-WRIG. The others don't.

3. porko
    OP

porko GBAtemp Regular

Jun 5, 2008
    @GreyWolf

how old are we talking?

one white and the gold zelda are P00-WC62 and the remaining white is VIYCFS8510.

4. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    I'm not sure. All 4 of my remotes have different FCC ID numbers. :D

I know it's not just the external sync button that's an indicator of compatibility, though. My black one with YE5-WRIG has an external button and it works. It was the pack-in one from a black Wii that was bundled with Wii Sports Resort.

5. porko
    OP

porko GBAtemp Regular

Jun 5, 2008
    how about the printed icons and info?

looking from the top pointing forward, the ones that work have it on the right side, with a ce icon, 3 lines info (acn, fcc id and ic) followed by the no-trash icon. the non-working ones have it on the left with ce, no-trash, nom, nyce and a triangle tick icon, followed by 4 lines of info (fcc id, ic, cft and d something).

is it possible the battery cover came from another wii remote? i was really hoping that it would be an easy indicator, it would make sense too if the newer battery covers were introduced later.