I think I just bricked my Wii >_<

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by SybreTiger, Aug 11, 2011.

Aug 11, 2011
  1. SybreTiger
    OP

Newcomer SybreTiger Member

United States
    Ok, so I was using the MyThemeMii channel, and I installed on of the themes from this topic: http://gbatemp.net/t260327-wii-theme-team-creations And now I get a "The system is corrupt, please consult your manual for troubleshooting" message.

I have BootMii installed on my SD card, so that always pops up first when I turn on my Wii, but when I try to get to the HBC option, it just seems load and load and never goes anywhere. =/

2. g4jek8j54

Member g4jek8j54 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    What System Menu are you currently on? Also, what version of the Homebrew Channel and BootMii do you have? Newer versions of the Homebrew Channel have a different Title ID, so maybe you have an older version of BootMii that is looking for an older Title ID. That might explain why the Homebrew Channel won't load.

3. SybreTiger
    OP

United States
    Well currently, I'm on no system menu as far as I know, because I can't access my Wii. >_>

But I believe I have updated my HBC since I put BootMii on the SD card. How would I go about fixing all that? Just put an updated .dol of BootMii on the SD Card?

4. SybreTiger
    OP

United States
    Wow, ok, so I think I fixed it.. Turns out I happened to back up my Wii in BootMii, so I just restored it.

But now.. I think it went waaaay back before I started modding my Wii. It's got some really old VC games on the menu, and channels I haven't had on there since just before modding my Wii.

So.. do I have to start from square one again and remod my Wii? >_< The BootMii screen still pops up when I start up my Wii. Do I start from there? I still can't access the HBC through that, but it's not longer on my Wii menu either.. Where do I go from here? @.@

I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow...

5. g4jek8j54

United States
    It depends on when you made that NAND backup.

Anyway, you can download the latest version of the HackMii Installer from here...

http://bootmii.org/download/

Run that through either Bannerbomb, LetterBomb, or BootMii, and use it to update everything to the latest versions. When you do that, you should have the Homebrew Channel installed, and BootMii should be able to load to it.

6. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    If you had waited for an answer I could have told you how to fix this without losing all your saves, but it's too late now.

7. slaphappygamer

Member slaphappygamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    you mean by running wadmanager from priiloader and loading a systemmenu*.*.wad? or using priiloader to load mythemechannel and uninstalling the theme? i alwasy hated themes. [​IMG]

8. SybreTiger
    OP

United States
    Well it sucks I lost everything, but I'm just happy my Wii's not completely bricked. [​IMG] I can start over and redo everything.

And where do I run HackMii from BootMii without using the HBC? I read the Readme that came with HackMii, but I'm not sure what to do with it...

It's gonna suck having to redo all my cIOS files. x_X I had everything just right...

9. g4jek8j54

United States
    Sorry, I blanked. [​IMG] I was trying to get you fixed without having to restore a previous NAND. However, after a NAND backup, I should have told you to update BootMii and the Homebrew Channel through BootMii near the beginning. That should have at least got you into the Homebrew Channel.

Anyway, locate the "bootmini.elf" file in the "hackmii_installer_v0.8" folder, and place it on the root of your SD card. Next, start BootMii, and go to the SD card icon (third one over). Find "bootmini.elf," select it, and the HackMii Installer will load.

10. SybreTiger
    OP

United States
    Ok, I got the Homebrew Channel up and running now, thanks. =) Should I reinstall BootMii as well from the bootmini.elf menu? Or should I leave that alone since I have an older version of BootMii working?

11. g4jek8j54

United States
    Yeah, I would update everything to the latest versions. If you have an older version of BootMii, then I don't think that you will be able to access the latest Homebrew Channel through it.

12. SybreTiger
    OP

United States
    Also, I have a lot of things on my SD card that I can run through HBC, such as Trucha Bug Restorer, IOS249, cIOS rev20b, cIOS installer 222... But when I go into, for example, cIOS installer 222, I get these disclaimers about needing IOS 36 or something installed first, which since my NAND restore, I have no clue what, if anything, is installed now. So I don't want to risk another brick by installing one of these cIOS without having the proper IOS. Is it safe to run any of these?

13. g4jek8j54

United States
    The HackMii Installer should have generated an "installer.log" file on the root of your SD card. If you can post that, it will help us to see what you currently have.

14. SybreTiger
    OP

United States
    Log is in spoilers. Warning, it's long.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

15. g4jek8j54

United States
    Looks like you are around System Menu 4.0, and your IOS36 is currently unpatched.

To use some of those programs, you will probably need to patch ES_Identify into IOS36. This program should help you to do that...

http://code.google.com/p/dop-mii/downloads/list

EDIT: Download the regular version, titled "DOP-Mii v16.zip," and not the Wiibrew version. The Wiibrew version does not support IOS patching.

16. JoostinOnline

United States
    Don't give newbies Dop-Mii or you end up creating even more threads like this.

@OP: Please don't ever post a huge log like that again. If you absolutely have to, just use spoiler tags.

17. SybreTiger
    OP

United States
    Sorry, I thought the log was a little long, but I don't know the html code for spoiler tags. =/

18. JoostinOnline

United States
    Use [*spoiler*]whatever goes inside the spoiler[*/spoiler*] without the *s.

19. SybreTiger
    OP

United States
    There, edited the post. =) Didn't realize the html for spoiler tags was so simple. Does the code have to be in brackets [] though, or can be used? I'm used to tags.

And as for an update, everything seems to be back up-to-date, in working order on my Wii, as far as I can tell/remember. I'm sure I'll find some random cIOS' I need to install now and then. And my GC backup launcher isn't at 100% yet, I can run some of my old backups, but then some others, such as multi-game ISOs, and certain games (SSBMelee) don't work anymore.

20. JoostinOnline

United States
    Use ModMii to re-softmod. You are probably really out of date since you restored a backup instead of reinstalling the default System Menu theme.