I Think I have an Unhealthy Love for Game Controllers LOL

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously! Here I am debating the merits of three different controllers for my "turn the phone into a Nintendo portable" project. On top of that I want another wireless 360 controller but in pink. Thing is, I already have a pink wireless 360 controller but instead of running off the same dongle as my official controller, this one has its own USB dongle. Honestly, I just want to free the extra port and have two controllers running on the same dongle. Every controller in my house serves a purpose and caters to a specific gaming mood/feel/setup.

What's making the obsession worse is this new wave of fairly decent Android/XInput/Bluetooth controllers that would actually be damn good on any console. Arrrrrgh! Must stop looking at these! Am I the only one that feels this way?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously! Here I am debating the merits of three different controllers for my "turn the phone into a Nintendo portable" project. On top of that I want another wireless 360 controller but in pink. Thing is, I already have a pink wireless 360 controller but instead of running off the same dongle as my official controller, this one has its own USB dongle. Honestly, I just want to free the extra port and have two controllers running on the same dongle. Every controller in my house serves a purpose and caters to a specific gaming mood/feel/setup.

What's making the obsession worse is this new wave of fairly decent Android/XInput/Bluetooth controllers that would actually be damn good on any console. Arrrrrgh! Must stop looking at these! Am I the only one that feels this way?
And so the search for the perfect controller continues. (But what is the worst one?)
DREAMCAST :ninja:

Reactions: DeoNaught

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I buy a lot of controllers that I don't need just for the colour. I bought the grey blue ds4 just for the colour. Still in it's box unused as I already had 2 other ds4 that I use.

Even now I'm thinking of buying the ocean shadow Xbox one controller just because it looks nice. Don't even have an Xbox one, although I could use it on PC.

Reactions: LightyKD

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And so the search for the perfect controller continues. (But what is the worst one?)

My first thought was to get a Wii U Pro Controller (ya kno, Bluetooth and all) but without a proper phone grip, I dont thing gaming with it would be great. That said, it has the ultimate pro of being a Nintendo focused controller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Black-H...156979&hash=item211e75ab38:g:~TcAAOSwImRYeZKF

Then there is this controller...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Bl...273504?hash=item2cb74463a0:g:j54AAOSwImRYUSIm

Another white controller (I like mt game devices in white) nut it's a fairly standard device

Lastly we have this.... THIS controller offers some interesting ideas

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IPEGA-PG-90...874284?hash=item1c777eaaec:g:v5wAAOSwJ7RYTAGz

Now my first iPega controller wasn't anything to write home about and never really worked the way I wanted without SOME work. That said I do like the idea of a controller that could snap on the sides (vertically and horizontally). This would be cool for DS gaming via Drastic. I could simply turn my phone how I need it for certain games. Choices! :/

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can i just say Control freak so i can put on record that i managed to say it once in my life? :P
Joking aside, i would really not recommend knock off controllers. Some aren't that good, i ordered a wii u pro controller, but it wasn't licensed by nintendo and it was too late to realize, when i got it, i noticed the Nintendo wii u logo wasn't on it and it had serious problem. Input errors all day, just shaking the controller would cause inputs, THAT NOT HOW CONTROLLERS WORK. (Least not this one) Also the bluetooth was almost bad. I paid $25 for it.

Unless it has license or endorcement for the console (Like some ps4 arcade fightsticks, madcatz, or hori) I think is more risky and gamble. If you want a android bluetooth controller, i think gamesir gear version 4 would be a good solution. Works with android, xbox 360, pc, and ps3. (Also comes with the phone/tablet grip for docking.) Or the new bluetooth nvidia shield controller. Still thinking about getting one of those. :P

Reactions: gnmmarechal

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Don't bother with anything that has the name Ipega on it. Bad controllers are bad.

Honestly for me the Dualshock 4 is the universal controller. Face buttons and digipad are perfect for fight and retro games and the analog sticks aren't that bad for shooters. It has an official mount for smartphones. Though I understand why people prefer an Xbone controller.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I own a blue, a green, an adjustable dpad (red), a red with seven auto trigger options, a red and white, a controller with leds in all of the buttons with its main thing being blue, a chrome controller with leds in every button with its main being green, and a halo 360 controller. all have white rol. I have every character line wiimote (mario, luigi, princess peach, toad, yoshi, and bowser), every character line gamecube controller for smash (mario, luigi, princess peach, yoshi, wario, donkey kong, samus, and link), a gold skyward sword wiimote, a gold, skyward sword nunchuk, epic mikey's paintbrush nunchuk, a tron siimote, a blue wiimote, and a white wiimote with motion plus attachment. I have a slime ps4 controller and a regular one. I also own two ps3 controllers with skins, and one has blue leds in it. I own three logitech controllers for the ps2, an airflow controller to keep ur hands cool, and another black controller from a third party company. I also own a blue transparent ps2 controller and a green transparent controller. then, I have a wavebird gamecube controller and a regular gamecube controller (forgot the color as this is all off the top of my head, lol(. I also own a black and a white pro controller for the wii u. I own 4 snes controllers, 2 nes controllers, 2 genesis controllers, and one wireless controller for my retron 5 as well as two for my retron 3. I also own the windwaker gamepad for the wii u. I have an obsession myself. :P

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't bother with anything that has the name Ipega on it. Bad controllers are bad.

Honestly for me the Dualshock 4 is the universal controller. Face buttons and digipad are perfect for fight and retro games and the analog sticks aren't that bad for shooters. It has an official mount for smartphones. Though I understand why people prefer an Xbone controller.
I think the only reason why anyone would prefer xbox controls is cause of the systems that properly support it, like PC, and android. Apperently on most android systems, xbox (least 360) has full proper support in all for the controller. Most controllers i try that isn't based on Xinput, has no support for back button to return to menu, or home, or even the triggers as buttons. So on pc while most games require xinput to work, it makes a reason why many would use it cause of the support for variety.

I don't think Xbox controls are bad but i would rather use some xinput converter tool like the Gtuner Titan one dongle or some usb bluetooth/wifi all in one xinput converter that simply can convert any controller to xinput. :P

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BTW My dilemma doesn't even cover the fact that I have A Princess Peach Wii Remote, a matching nunchuck (I actually took a blue analog stick plus light and dark pick nunchucks and combined them), a matching PDP Gamecube style fight pad and matching Wii Wheel. That's the "His" side of our controller shelf. For the wife I have a Yoshi Wii remote with white nunchuck with matching Yoshi PDP pad and a Wii wheel I painted green, orange and white to match. LOL I seriously love game controllers.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the only reason why anyone would prefer xbox controls is cause of the systems that properly support it, like PC, and android. Apperently on most android systems, xbox (least 360) has full proper support in all for the controller. Most controllers i try that isn't based on Xinput, has no support for back button to return to menu, or home, or even the triggers as buttons. So on pc while most games require xinput to work, it makes a reason why many would use it cause of the support for variety.

I don't think Xbox controls are bad but i would rather use some xinput converter tool like the Gtuner Titan one dongle or some usb bluetooth/wifi all in one xinput converter that simply can convert any controller to xinput. :P

I find ps3 controllers to be too small while xbox 360 controllers r just the right size. however, xbox 360 controllers have terrible dpads (even the adjustable one sucks), but ps3 controllers have the perfect dpad. when u combine the good things from each controller u get the wii u pro controller with ridiculous battery life to boot :P

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
el wrongo, you forgot about the intellivision disk controller
mattel_intellivision_controller_2.jpg
@ OP, I am actually the opposite. I hate that I need so many controllers. I wish I could buy one and use it on all systems.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
el wrongo, you forgot about the intellivision disk controller
View attachment 76973
@ OP, I am actually the opposite. I hate that I need so many controllers. I wish I could buy one and use it on all systems.
Do we have to qalify that as a controller? Look more like a remote, or Phone... those that spin around, old skool :P

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BTW, Dreamcast had a nice controller, it just needed dual analog sticks and L1+R1 buttons. Overall I enjoyed the DC controller
That was meant for aliens. Holding that thing is hard and those small bumps in the analog was unnecessary, just poke your thumbs, it was also big for my hands. Probably why people like it is maybe xbox was based on it. :unsure:

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was meant for aliens. Holding that thing is hard and those small bumps in the analog was unnecessary, just poke your thumbs, it was also big for my hands. Probably why people like it is maybe xbox was based on it. :unsure:

Its true that the XBox controller took inspiration from the Dreamcast controller. Years ago EGM Magazine had this nice article on the making of XBox and it was stated there.

Silverthorn

Spiky!
Trophies
XP
Country
France
For me :
-Xbox One controller for the sticks placement and the triggers
-Dualshock 4 for D-Pad

Both are great, I alternate between them depending on what I play.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually thing the dreamcast controller was quite nice. Especially since it was a second generation type deal. The Saturn had a disk shaped controller that was copied for the DC but made better.

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I have a large number of controllers and I used to be really into weird and useless peripherals, the weirder the better. If I can I use the Sega Saturn 3D Controller for most games played on emulator, the six facebuttons are awesome for pretty much all arcade games and has nice travel and are big and comfortable, D-pad is my favorite ever. Analog stick is decent at best though.

I do not connect controllers to my phone, I prefer a standalone system for gaming, no interruptions when gaming. Lot's of really great emulator/emulator ports for Android though. Have thought about getting a GPD XD a few times.

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a Moga Ace Power and am waiting for it to come in the mail. Hopefully it feels nice! Then I can play RE4 on my main phone and not need to carry an old android.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs