Homebrew I think I bricked my Wii U. How to fix?

Whalermouse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

Recently, I opened a homebrew app that installs titles on my Wii U (I think it was WUP installer?) and accidentally installed something by mistake (I think it was the homebrew channel?) Now whenever I boot up the Wii U, I get the error message "Missing all OS specific addresses". How do I fix this and unbrick my system? I do have a backup of my sd card, if that helps.

GABO1423

Half the man he used to be.
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Hello,

Recently, I opened a homebrew app that installs titles on my Wii U (I think it was WUP installer?) and accidentally installed something by mistake (I think it was the homebrew channel?) Now whenever I boot up the Wii U, I get the error message "Missing all OS specific addresses". How do I fix this and unbrick my system? I do have a backup of my sd card, if that helps.
Either buy a new one, or since you have a NAND backup, restore that backup trough hardmodding.

Der_Blockbuster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How do you actually brick a Wii U by installing Homebrew Channel?
This can't be true.
Maybe if you shut it off.
Maybe you wanted to install CBHC with a fake DS game.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

How do you actually brick a Wii U by installing Homebrew Channel?
This can't be true.
Maybe if you shut it off.
Maybe you wanted to install CBHC with a fake DS game.
How you can you "accidently" open Wup Installer, select a title and accidently install it.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe he installed system config tool. it can install titles. in fact, that's how I installed all of mine. that could definitely brick the wii u if used improperly. what doesn't make sense to me is it's a specific error. usually, it will show only an error code and nothing more.

Reactions: Der_Blockbuster

Der_Blockbuster

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
maybe he installed system config tool. it can install titles. in fact, that's how I installed all of mine. that could definitely brick the wii u if used improperly. what doesn't make sense to me is it's a specific error. usually, it will show only an error code and nothing more.
Yeah unless we know what specifically happened, we can't help.
Also given that OP doesn't sound like he's confident with this stuff, I don't think that he'll be able to use a hardmod to restore his nand.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the better route IF your pc can handle it is to take that nand backup and extract it to your pc and use CEMU wii u emulator

don't you need the otp.bin for that? you mean physically decrypting it or just using it as is as a backup? I've never used that emulator.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah unless we know what specifically happened, we can't help.
Also given that OP doesn't sound like he's confident with this stuff, I don't think that he'll be able to use a hardmod to restore his nand.

I'm actually surprised he has a nand backup. seems like almost everyone who bricks, regardless of the system, "forgot" to make a nand backup.

xdarkmario

Philosopher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't you need the otp.bin for that? you mean physically decrypting it or just using it as is as a backup? I've never used that emulator.
im not 100% sure but if you did a FULL nand backup all the information needed is in there to play online, the otp.bin should be able to be pulled from it i think (no files nand needed to play offline unless you want your saves)

Last edited by xdarkmario,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking it would in order to access the files. a nand backup can be used to unbrick a system, but it must be from before the problem occurred. if you have the otp.bin, you can fix the problem if the backup was made afterwards like a cbhc brick. if you have the otp.bin, I don't even think you need a nand dump.

Whalermouse

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the better route IF your pc can handle it is to take that nand backup and extract it to your pc and use CEMU wii u emulator
tbh at this point I'm just thinking of saving up till I have enough money to build a decent desktop and doing just that. maybe wait a few months for amd to release zen 3 and rdna 2

xdarkmario

Philosopher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tbh at this point I'm just thinking of saving up till I have enough money to build a decent desktop and doing just that. maybe wait a few months for amd to release zen 3 and rdna 2
small tippet on that, as tempting it is to go with AMD GPUS for price, for emulation purposes you might want to steer clear of AMD GPU's. take it from me, i have a AMD radeon RX 5700 XT (which is about slightly better then a 1080 Ti) and for games and the software suite its A1 but for productivity like rendering, Ai and emulation its awful. emulation is treated as productivity to GPUS and the dev scene for emulation is VERY BIAS for nvidia meaning they get better performance for nvidia. but DEFINATLY get a AMD CPU, those ROCK lol

Last edited by xdarkmario,

GABO1423

Half the man he used to be.
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Wow that was kinda cool to see you reference my wii u guide @godreborn. I haven't touched my wii u since the switch came out. I didn't know it was still relevant. Made my day. Thanks bro.
That and the Noob Guide are very high quality, so much that they could be used later on and still be useful. Thanks for both guides, hope you are enjoying the Switch!

Reactions: Kafluke

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame: