Hacking I think Gateway killed my A9LH

sblast3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently updated my O3DS to the latest firmware. When I updated Gateway and launched it through the A9LH launcher, I got a black screen. Upon reset, none of my hotkeys were working. I tried to run a homebrew app and instead of it launching, it gave an error. I reset the system without an SD card inside it, and it launched as if it was unhacked. After re-inserting the SD card, the homebrew apps were removed.

Fortunately, I have my hacked N3DS, a backup of my NAND, and all the backups I made at the time of A9LH installation (Including emergency keys). Not sure where to go from here; if advancements are still being made in the scene, I would be more than happy to wait (Even if it takes over a year). I've been out of the loop for the while, so I'm not sure if I made a n00b mistake or not.

Not sure if Nintendo or Gateway is to blame for this. No hard feelings either way. Maybe someone with a hard mod can verify the situation?

Additional info: I tried to launch homebrew launcher before this and got an error; this may have also caused data corruption. Note that I did NOT update the 3DS under gateway; I am well aware that that causes bricks.

Goes to show how dangerous a non-emunand setup can be...

Last edited by sblast3,

Ricken

Searching for the air to breathe~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently updated my O3DS to the latest firmware. When I updated Gateway and launched it through the A9LH launcher, I got a black screen. Upon reset, none of my hotkeys were working. I tried to run a homebrew app and instead of it launching, it gave an error. I reset the system without an SD card inside it, and it launched as if it was unhacked. After re-inserting the SD card, the homebrew apps were removed.

Fortunately, I have my hacked N3DS, a backup of my NAND, and all the backups I made at the time of A9LH installation (Including emergency keys). Not sure where to go from here; if advancements are still being made in the scene, I would be more than happy to wait (Even if it takes over a year). I've been out of the loop for the while, so I'm not sure if I made a n00b mistake or not.

Not sure if Nintendo or Gateway is to blame for this. No hard feelings either way. Maybe someone with a hard mod can verify the situation?

Additional info: I tried to launch homebrew launcher before this and got an error; this may have also caused data corruption. Note that I did NOT update the 3DS under gateway; I am well aware that that causes bricks.

From what I've gathered, Gateway causes bricks on 11.3 A9LH. Probably got broke the same way rxTools did

Reactions: sblast3

sblast3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking at the Gateway website now, I see that I should have read the front page more carefully.

For now, please do not update your Emunand until you can read the confirmationof support for 11.3 here.

whoops

Edit: Any steps I should take ASAP aside from unlinking my NNID?

Last edited by sblast3,
Trophies
XP

Brickway posted that 11.3 support will be added Soon™

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
This is not bricking code, stop assuming stuff everyone.

I think Nintendo did it deliberately, although I don't understand why rxTools and the other unupdated CFWs will simply give you a black screen while Gateway gives you a black screen AND removes A9LH. Edit: duh rxTools is not compatible with A9LH, and I assume the other unupdated CFWs have firm protection. Are there any old CFWs without firm protection that have been tested on sysNAND? Like Cakes with firm protection turned off?

Since you have a NAND backup, you can restore with a hardmod. Here's a thread that lists trusted hardmodders by region : https://gbatemp.net/threads/list-of-hardmod-installers-by-region.414224/

Last edited by Quantumcat,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
from what I gather 11.3 seems to always update the FIRM on startup, seeing as gateway don't have firm protection setup attempting to boot up sysnand 11.3 on gateway will cause a9lh to get wiped

on a o3ds this basically means you end up on sysnand 11.3, on a n3ds it results in a brick.....so at least you were using a o3ds

Edit: and yeah a hard mod will be able.to downgrade with your old nand backup

Last edited by gamesquest1,

nccom

Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
Gateway team always said to use emunand so its your own fault to attempting to use sysnand-only and not even checking if its safe to update to 11.3.

sblast3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since you have a new3ds you could do a system transfer with a dsiwarehax game on the new3ds to restore your nand without hardmod
Wasn't that patched with 11.3?

Why are you even using Gateway?
For eShop games, I would download the .3ds and convert to CARD2 so that I could have shared saves on both of my consoles. I'm never using GW again though. Still nice to have for nostalgic purposes though.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Wasn't that patched with 11.3?

For eShop games, I would download the .3ds and convert to CARD2 so that I could have shared saves on both of my consoles. I'm never using GW again though. Still nice to have for nostalgic purposes though.
downgrading without a nand backup was patched, but if he has a valid nand backup from that exact system it should still work using the DSi game injection method (but only to restore a whole nand dump, not the FIRM downgrade method)

sblast3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
downgrading without a nand backup was patched, but if he has a valid nand backup from that exact system it should still work using the DSi game injection method (but only to restore a whole nand dump, not the FIRM downgrade method)
I have a legit dump and have used it multiple times before. Guess I'll do that before 11.4 comes out. Already transfered my NNID to my N3DS.

Edit: Can this also be done via Ninjhax? I have that running currently on my O3DS.

Last edited by sblast3,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I have a legit dump and have used it multiple times before. Guess I'll do that before 11.4 comes out. Already transfered my NNID to my N3DS.

Edit: Can this also be done via Ninjhax? I have that running currently on my O3DS.
if you mean only via ninjhax without dsiwarehax, then no, you need some way of writing the nand, the only 2 ways on 11.3+ is via dsiwarehax or hardmod

Reactions: DrkBeam and sblast3

sblast3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fieldrunners, Legends of Exidia, and Sudoku all seem like they're pulled from the eShop. Guess I'll just wait for EOL hacks.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
this is where "the guide" can kinda be a bad thing, the previous guide for doing the DSi ware injection stuff is now scattered about various threads and there is like 200 commits for typo's etc on the guide to look through to try find the old DSiware guides for the OP.....in this situation I might actually advise having a look for a old youtube guide, its not too complex to do, but it would be an idea to at least have a proper guide to read/watch to understand exactly what your doing before you try it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol