Hacking I switched from a 4GB SDHC to a 16GB SDHC and now loading times are slow.

skullkeeper94

Professional USB Corrupter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As the title says, today I swapped SD Cards so I could have more games, but now everything is really slow in game. Not only that, but the 3DS (I assume) also created multiple files of the same folder/file with a "(1)" after it. I have deleted those, but nothing's helped.

Do you have any advice? Will I have to switch back to the 4GB SDHC?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This is actually rather common because it might not have been formatted properly (though I still suggest testing it too.)
If it passes the test, then back everything up and use emuNAND9 to properly format your SD card. There is an option to format without emuNAND, use that option.

Gyrobax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SD cards are different, what class are they? what read and write speeds do they have? stuff like that

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
SD cards are different, what class are they? what read and write speeds do they have? stuff like that
Class doesn't determine R/W speed, so that can really be disregarded when buying a card. OP, beware of "bargain" SDs. Even if you find a high capacity card for a really great price it doesn't necessarily mean it's a good card.

drag0nscythe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Class doesn't determine R/W speed, so that can really be disregarded when buying a card. OP, beware of "bargain" SDs. Even if you find a high capacity card for a really great price it doesn't necessarily mean it's a good card.

Class of the sd card does have an impact on the R/W speed. Class 10 SD cards have a higher read rate which allow for increased speeds. An example i can think of right now is the need of a class 10 for playing games off the skycard. Class 4 sd cards were to slow to allow for playing high memory games like OOT or majora's mask.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Class of the sd card does have an impact on the R/W speed. Class 10 SD cards have a higher read rate which allow for increased speeds. An example i can think of right now is the need of a class 10 for playing games off the skycard. Class 4 sd cards were to slow to allow for playing high memory games like OOT or majora's mask.
It doesn't really mean much, though. The class just determines a base minimum speed. Some class 10 cards can be faster or slower than other class 10 cards.

drag0nscythe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't really mean much, though. The class just determines a base minimum speed. Some class 10 cards can be faster or slower than other class 10 cards.
True but in general, a class 10 is still faster then a class 4 and a U3 is currently the fastest card available. When I first hacked the 3ds, I tried to use a larger SD card out of my phone not realizing that it was a class 4. Once I tried to play majora's mask, it became apparent why class 10s were recommended.

Reactions: Tutimane

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

K, So how do you determine a card has good read/write speed before buying since this is specifically for n3ds/3ds.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
If we can't go by what class the sd card is for read/write before buying them we have to test every 16gb sd card to determine it?
The class is a rough guide. Did you read the rest of the thread? @Joom was saying that the class doesn't give you an exact definition of the speed, just a rough guide.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
The class is a rough guide. Did you read the rest of the thread? @Joom was saying that the class doesn't give you an exact definition of the speed, just a rough guide.
Not necessarily rough, but the class determines what the minimum speed is. A class 10, for example, will have a guaranteed minimum write speed of 10 MB/s. Just keep in mind that your mileage may vary.

Reactions: Quantumcat

skullkeeper94

Professional USB Corrupter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is actually rather common because it might not have been formatted properly (though I still suggest testing it too.)
If it passes the test, then back everything up and use emuNAND9 to properly format your SD card. There is an option to format without emuNAND, use that option.

Sorry for being so late, but formatting did work, but I forgot to backup :P Boohoo and yay, thank you all for your contributions!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte