I switched from a 4GB SDHC to a 16GB SDHC and now loading times are slow.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by skullkeeper94, Feb 19, 2017.

1. skullkeeper94
    OP

skullkeeper94 Professional USB Corrupter

Jun 21, 2016
    United States
    As the title says, today I swapped SD Cards so I could have more games, but now everything is really slow in game. Not only that, but the 3DS (I assume) also created multiple files of the same folder/file with a "(1)" after it. I have deleted those, but nothing's helped.

Do you have any advice? Will I have to switch back to the 4GB SDHC?

2. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Test it with H2testw.

netovsk likes this.
  3. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    This is actually rather common because it might not have been formatted properly (though I still suggest testing it too.)
    If it passes the test, then back everything up and use emuNAND9 to properly format your SD card. There is an option to format without emuNAND, use that option.

4. Gyrobax

Gyrobax GBAtemp Regular

Feb 28, 2016
    United States
    SD cards are different, what class are they? what read and write speeds do they have? stuff like that

5. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Class doesn't determine R/W speed, so that can really be disregarded when buying a card. OP, beware of "bargain" SDs. Even if you find a high capacity card for a really great price it doesn't necessarily mean it's a good card.

6. drag0nscythe

drag0nscythe Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2014
    United States
    Class of the sd card does have an impact on the R/W speed. Class 10 SD cards have a higher read rate which allow for increased speeds. An example i can think of right now is the need of a class 10 for playing games off the skycard. Class 4 sd cards were to slow to allow for playing high memory games like OOT or majora's mask.

7. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    It doesn't really mean much, though. The class just determines a base minimum speed. Some class 10 cards can be faster or slower than other class 10 cards.

8. drag0nscythe

drag0nscythe Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2014
    United States
    True but in general, a class 10 is still faster then a class 4 and a U3 is currently the fastest card available. When I first hacked the 3ds, I tried to use a larger SD card out of my phone not realizing that it was a class 4. Once I tried to play majora's mask, it became apparent why class 10s were recommended.

Tutimane likes this.
  9. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    K, So how do you determine a card has good read/write speed before buying since this is specifically for n3ds/3ds.

10. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    You can test it with H2testw. As well as telling you if the card is faulty, it also tells you the read and write speed.

MeAndHax likes this.
  11. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    If we can't go by what class the sd card is for read/write before buying them we have to test every 16gb sd card to determine it?

12. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    The class is a rough guide. Did you read the rest of the thread? @Joom was saying that the class doesn't give you an exact definition of the speed, just a rough guide.

13. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Not necessarily rough, but the class determines what the minimum speed is. A class 10, for example, will have a guaranteed minimum write speed of 10 MB/s. Just keep in mind that your mileage may vary.

Quantumcat likes this.
  14. skullkeeper94
    OP

skullkeeper94 Professional USB Corrupter

Jun 21, 2016
    United States
    Sorry for being so late, but formatting did work, but I forgot to backup :P Boohoo and yay, thank you all for your contributions!