I still use WBFS for my Wii HDD, am I behind on this?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Shinigami Kiba, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Shinigami Kiba
    OP

Member Shinigami Kiba GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
    What worries me the most about this whole WBFS thing is, if one game corrupts they all get messed up, this happened to my friend couple months ago so we had to reformat and copy everything from my HDD to his using WBFS Manager.

Is there a way to back stuff up without all the games backing up to 4GB ISO's?
    For a year now I've been playing games exclusively from my hard drive so I have no backups of any of them, if the HDD goes I'll lose everything lol

So guys, is WBFS still the best, most widely used file system and is there a way to gain more control over it?

2. rmbell

Newcomer rmbell Advanced Member

Canada
    you can use fat32 or ntfs now. fat32 being more supported currently than ntfs. You can back up all your wbfs games to files with a .wbfs extention, which is basically the whole wbfs file system in one file, so they are the same size as they are on the drive.

3. person66

Member person66 If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post

Canada
    For backing up all the stuff into the smallest possible size use the latest wbfs_file.exe (Download version 2.9), open CMD, go to the directory with wbfs_file.exe and use the command
    Code:
    wbfs_file.exe X: extract_wbfs_all C:\wbfs
    Where X: is your wbfs drive and C:\wbfs is the folder you want to extract the files to.
    This will copy all the wii games from your wbfs drive in to the folder specified, and they will all be .wbfs files, which are like trimmed iso's (all the garbage data is gone)

I don't really see any reason to stick with wbfs over FAT or NTFS, but it's really your choice. Oh and if you do decide to switch to fat or ntfs, make sure you put the iso's or .wbfs files on your drive in a folder named wbfs (so it would look like X:\wbfs\GAMEID.wbfs)

4. roku93

Member roku93 GBAtemp Fan

Finland
    I'm not changing to anything because of three reasons:

Don't fix what ain't broke
    Splitting files on FAT32
    No write on NTFS

5. cup9192

Newcomer cup9192 Member

United States
    I second roku93...

Don't fix what ain't broke.

No matter what you can stand to lose following a hard drive failure, torrents and what-not will be out there for some time. Further, it is not like your save files will be affected in any way...

Don't worry about it. Until NTFS support includes writing, I wouldn't bother. Even then, I wouldn't bail WBFS ship until something bad happened to begin with.

6. Shinigami Kiba
    OP

thanks
    I'll stick to wbfs, just backup my games

I can write the backups to my HDD again, right?

Also can someone tell me what are the chances of my games corrupting like my friends' did? ALL he did was delete a game through the Wii, USB Loader GX and everything corrupted.

7. markolo25

Newcomer markolo25 Newbie

United States
    In homebrew many things could go wrong from the information i hear the problem can go from a bad drive all the way to not letting wbfs manager finish. wbfs is the best choice in my opinion, because in a 8 gb flash drive that i used to have i could fit 2 games in the flash drives in ntfs but in wbfs i could fit 4. i never had a problem with the wbfs except windows asking me to format it every time so i guess wbfs is the best choice, also no one is forcing you to use wbfs. and when wbfs+ comes out i would gladly upgrade to that [​IMG] oh also you can have the file in a cios format if you dont want it in a big box aka 4gb. the size of the game in cios is usually dependent on which game it is.

8. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    That was fixed way back in Waninkoko's 1.2 loader (or somewhere near then), unless your friend had some unrelated issue.

9. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Jeez...it seems to me you WBFS-users go a long way to keep saying you've got the best file system. It doesn't look like you even tried FAT32. I did, and it netted me the following advantages:

-windows doesn't ask to reformat the drive everytime I connect it to the PC
    -I can use a single partition to store games, homebrew, movies and stuff like that.
    -I no longer need a whole array of programs to check what's on the disc. Deleting stuff, defragmenting or keeping backups is just routine if you're familiar with windows.

I admit those claims aren't so overwhelming to say that it blows WBFS out of the water, but WBFS has nothing in advance over FAT32.
    So the file system can't handle large files and has to be split into chunks of max. 4GB? [​IMG] Boo di fucking hoo! It's not like you realise even the slightest bit of a slowdown while playing. You can just as well complain that most windows games contain more than a single file.

(note: I haven't tried NTFS yet, so I won't comment on that)

10. Shinigami Kiba
    OP

I forgot to ask this when I made the topic.
    Is there a way to play GameCube games from a hard drive yet? If so can I do it from my WBFS one?

11. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    No, no way to run them from a hard drive yet.

I still use WBFS too, and I heard a lot of people are still doing it too, so no, you're not behind at all.

12. Maurice10

Member Maurice10 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Nope.

13. KiiWii

Member KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Fixed.

14. Rivarossa

Newcomer Rivarossa Member

Ireland
    I'm on FAT32, just seemed a natural choice for me, for simplicity's sake. Having said that I do have a small WBFS partition devoted specifically for music games, as Hermes's Uloader is the only one that seems to handle the DLC without filling up the NAND to the brim and forcing me to stop the Rock Band party [​IMG]

15. yusuo

Member yusuo GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Still use wbfs, if it isnt broke dont fix it. works 100% of the time fine for me so why change and hassle myself with hours of backing up and reloading games just to change file structure

16. elimist

Member elimist GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I might switch from wbfs to fat. Can wbfs be resized like normal partitions?

17. kyle007

Member kyle007 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    nope afaik the only way to resize a wbfs partition is to format it to whatever you want, resize it, then format it back to wbfs.

18. adamdbz

Newcomer adamdbz Advanced Member

Israel
    I think wbfs works lot's of games 60 gb it is very good and uloader is the best

19. wii knee

Member wii knee GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I use WiiFlow and WBFS. I've been reluctant to change, too. However, like others I've noticed that over time a number of game files have become 'corrupt'. They're still visible in wiiflow but when I launch the game, it only reboots my wii. I have to reinstall it on my HDD for it to work again.

I think that with more game probs I'm going to migrate to FAT and then I can enjoy UNEEK+DI b/c I'd like to use more wiiware games.

20. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    i use wbfs, i'm on mac so no ntfs for me and fat32 i just don't want the drive visible when using the drive for movies etc.

i got all my original dumps backed up and only takes about 1-2 minutes per game to put back on wbfs, so if the drive corrupts it's no big deal for me.